Deer Park Conditions

Surprisingly good, even awesome. White on the western edge, where the grapes are was a washed out rut, but all the best stuff was good to great. We didn't venture east or north of the pond; Barberry is wet in drought conditions, and we were fighting sundown. Thanks to everyone who helped remove the insurmountable trees and poo poo on whoever removed those obstacles that had been there forever - you are sissies. Learn to hop a log or two.

Conditions improving.

The Jorba Allamuchy Chapter have recently (this week) spent mass hours cleaning downed trees. Running water has stopped and is drying, the trails are clear. All that's left is the errosion. And the thread was moved....

As an incidental, when I was in there w/ Jorba Effective 9-1-11, as the vapor thread indicated, I cleaned all the trails I was on. I recently received a report that the Illegal Trail out by Rt. 80 is currently spotless, and meaning somebody has been at work. Also figured out what all the ruckus is about regarding some tree and it is a tree going to this Illegal Trail which is basically no concern to Jorba as I understand it. Incidentally it has not "been there forever" but certainly a bummer to folks that liked it. As was the case on some Illegal Trail in Kittatinny that went away when the park closed it. All for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Robin

The Jorba Allamuchy Chapter have recently (this week) spent mass hours cleaning downed trees. Running water has stopped and is drying, the trails are clear. All that's left is the errosion. And the thread was moved....

thank you thank you thank you!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And the thread was moved....

It was moved to the Deer Park Conditions thread. We're trying to keep the conditions reports to threads which are "suck" on each forum page. This allows people to surf to any given park and look for the sticky at the top and see the latest conditions.

Adding new threads ad hoc is not an effective way to do this.

Thanks for the efforts at Deer Park!

It was moved to the Deer Park Conditions thread. We're trying to keep the conditions reports to threads which are "suck" on each forum page. This allows people to surf to any given park and look for the sticky at the top and see the latest conditions.

Adding new threads ad hoc is not an effective way to do this.

Thanks for the efforts at Deer Park!

You're welcome.....

He said "suck".... heh heh heh....

jackx

I have not been to Deer Park lately, but I was at Allamuchy yesterday and it was raining. I don't live too far from Allamuchy/DP/SSP and it rained most of the day.

Sloppy wet with many, many little derailleur killing sticks on many trails. Water running down white trail into parking lot. I stayed on the high side of the park; no Deer Trail, no Barberry, nothing on the north and east. Picked up many sticks. Still annoyed at the sissification.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would say a no go with wet and muddy conditions and prolly a large amount of tree fall...

Post Mischief Night Storm

Conditions way better than expected. Rode in from the Rutherford Mansion, there were 4-5 trees that need chainsawing on the back side of Allamuchy Pond and on the trail that leads from Panther Valley Mall. Once in the park, most everything south of the Birch trail (all of the unblazed trails) had no damage or trees down. We didn't take the White down to the 1st parking lot. I plan to get in there again to explore the rest of the park today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Conditions are great! Park is mostly clear. One big tree down on White Trail just east of the lake but otherwise lots of clear pedaling. Could use a good leaf blowing. Rode White counter-clockwise from the entry off of the fire road across from the unmarked Birch Tree Grove back to the Birch Trail Triangle - clear sailing! Haven't been on Barberry 'cause I know it's a sloppy mess, or on the downhill into parking lot #1. Nor the entries from Waterloo Road. Entry trail from Panther Valley Mall needs the most work; 4-5 trees down.

Probably belongs in another thread, but...

Never! You need decomposition otherwise think Lewis Morris who still haven't figured it out...
Admittedly IDK that much about it, but when I went on a TM session at Dickerson Mine, the first thing Marc and Bob had us do was scrape off the layer of "organic material" to get down to hardpack to preserve the trail surface. I think Lew Mo is a bad example b/c much of it is sandy and many of the older trails had no engineering built into them; it was more like "what's the quickest way to get from here to there?" Some of the newer trails like the newest singletrack sections of Orange, Red and Green have that hardpack consistency engineered in. I know one trailmaster who cleans his trails of leaves every autumn. As for the Kittatinny debacle, I'm sure it's not a good idea to pile the leaves along the trail and prevent drainage. Is there more than one school of thought? If you don't clear little used trails of leaves what prevents them from disappearing? Doesn't heavy usage clear the trail b/c of what it is - heavy usage?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions

Trail Conditions not available
Top Bottom