Deer Park and North Side Unrideable

Hello All:
I tried to ride at DP and North side of allamuchy. the place is almost unrideable. After that snow storm almost every hundred yard there is a tree or branch down. It needs major work. If something organized, I can volunteer to fix.
emrahayhan

DD-

Most of the stuff is removable by hand.... a folding saw works wonders too. I havn't been waiting for the big organized effort. Anything you do will help... alot!

Well said Stratocaster. Allamuchy Joe, me, Stratocaster and Karen W all decided yesterday to do a fun little loop in Allamuchy North. We all hoped to enjoy the day with a ride. The ride turned out to be a lot of "cross training" with sawing, dragging and lifting the deadfall. We didn't plan to do TM on the ride, it just happened that we took care of what we could as we were riding.

I was kind of blown away when 3 of us were working on a section of trail and a large group of riders came through - amazingly, not one of them offered to help drag some of the stuff off the trail, they just peddled through looking annoyed that our bikes were on the side of the trail. I think what really got me was watching them wait on top of the next little rise (we could see them) for their slower buddies to catch up...guess offering to help wouldn't have really slowed down their ride if they were waiting for others anyway. :hmmm: And BTW the direction they came from was littered with smaller stuff that blocked the trail that could have easily been moved by hand - we took care of that also.

I don't get that, if you enjoy riding the trails and you see stuff blocking them or a few people trying to clear them, it doesn't kill your ride to stop and help move stuff - if everyone did that a few times, the deadfall from the last storm (and future storms) would be fixed in record time :D

xc62701

well said stratocaster. Allamuchy joe, me, stratocaster and karen w all decided yesterday to do a fun little loop in allamuchy north. We all hoped to enjoy the day with a ride. The ride turned out to be a lot of "cross training" with sawing, dragging and lifting the deadfall. We didn't plan to do tm on the ride, it just happened that we took care of what we could as we were riding.

I was kind of blown away when 3 of us were working on a section of trail and a large group of riders came through - amazingly, not one of them offered to help drag some of the stuff off the trail, they just peddled through looking annoyed that our bikes were on the side of the trail. I think what really got me was watching them wait on top of the next little rise (we could see them) for their slower buddies to catch up...guess offering to help wouldn't have really slowed down their ride if they were waiting for others anyway. :hmmm: And btw the direction they came from was littered with smaller stuff that blocked the trail that could have easily been moved by hand - we took care of that also.

I don't get that, if you enjoy riding the trails and you see stuff blocking them or a few people trying to clear them, it doesn't kill your ride to stop and help move stuff - if everyone did that a few times, the deadfall from the last storm (and future storms) would be fixed in record time :d

word!!!

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Here is a handy little saw that can really help the JORBA folks out...

yhst-91181333552265_2022_35380586

You can pick one up at Ramsey's, Home Depot, etc and it fits nicely into a Camelbak or even a Jersey pocket. It costs about $20.

Actually, you can get one for cheaper -- here's a link:

http://www.tntcampingequipment.com/product/836B806T

Last edited:
Well said Stratocaster. Allamuchy Joe, me, Stratocaster and Karen W all decided yesterday to do a fun little loop in Allamuchy North. We all hoped to enjoy the day with a ride. The ride turned out to be a lot of "cross training" with sawing, dragging and lifting the deadfall. We didn't plan to do TM on the ride, it just happened that we took care of what we could as we were riding.

I was kind of blown away when 3 of us were working on a section of trail and a large group of riders came through - amazingly, not one of them offered to help drag some of the stuff off the trail, they just peddled through looking annoyed that our bikes were on the side of the trail. I think what really got me was watching them wait on top of the next little rise (we could see them) for their slower buddies to catch up...guess offering to help wouldn't have really slowed down their ride if they were waiting for others anyway. :hmmm: And BTW the direction they came from was littered with smaller stuff that blocked the trail that could have easily been moved by hand - we took care of that also.

I don't get that, if you enjoy riding the trails and you see stuff blocking them or a few people trying to clear them, it doesn't kill your ride to stop and help move stuff - if everyone did that a few times, the deadfall from the last storm (and future storms) would be fixed in record time :D

Hello all:

Keith and I we did some major work in Deer Park only the west sections of it. It took us almost 4 hours to clear and reroute around the big trees down. Anything would help to get these trails back on rideable conditions. We will do another ride, tm to finish some other sections. We will start around 1-130 in deer park. It is early but anything would help.

emrahayhan

DD-

Hello all:

Keith and I we did some major work in Deer Park only the west sections of it. It took us almost 4 hours to clear and reroute around the big trees down. Anything would help to get these trails back on rideable conditions. We will do another ride, tm to finish some other sections. We will start around 1-130 in deer park. It is early but anything would help.

emrahayhan

Emrah & Keith - That's awesome news ! :D thanks for taking the initiative ! We're hoping to get out for a ride sometime on Friday, and will probably bring the hand saw(s) as well in case we see anything that we can handle.

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Thanks t the crew

Strat, DD, Allamuchy Joe, Emrah and Keith - thanks for taking the initiative and getting out there to help clear up the trails. Its great to see everyone in the crew stepping up on this one. I will be getting out with the chain saw this weekend to cut out the big stuff.

Emrah and Keith - if you can put togeter a list of where the bir trees are that would be great.

Strat, DD and Joe - same thing if you recall the locations of any big trees shoot them over to me.

As of last weekend the park was in passable condition, should be close to normal after this comeig weekend.

Again that to everyone in the Allamuchy TM Crew for stepping up and taking point on this task!!!

Strat, DD, Allamuchy Joe, Emrah and Keith - thanks for taking the initiative and getting out there to help clear up the trails. Its great to see everyone in the crew stepping up on this one. I will be getting out with the chain saw this weekend to cut out the big stuff.

Emrah and Keith - if you can put togeter a list of where the bir trees are that would be great.

Strat, DD and Joe - same thing if you recall the locations of any big trees shoot them over to me.

As of last weekend the park was in passable condition, should be close to normal after this comeig weekend.

Again that to everyone in the Allamuchy TM Crew for stepping up and taking point on this task!!!

Hi Bob:

The west side of the park is almost done. But I counted 10 big trees down on white going east until orange. Kevin cleared out the section that goes to the abondenned famr house by 517. The yellow is clear now. The major work left is on the white to the orange going east.

We will go there today in the afternoon again.

Thanks,

Emrah

Hello all:

emrahayhan

Sounds great guys. Make sure you don't create any new reroutes around stuff. If you can make it passable that's great. Keep it up, it is great to hear other people actually help w/ the trails too.

xc62701

I was out there last night and there were some trees down and I helped clear out some downed stuff. It definitely looks like a sharp chainsaw will be needed with a few LARGE trees. Especially by intersection hill. There's a HUGE one there.

scm80

!@$@%@

One of my fellow riders brought your post to my attention and I have to say I’m insulted(even if not directed at me)!!:confused: I’ll quote some of what was sent to me.
“this kind of pisses me off because people go on threads and say stuff like this without realizing what other people do.”

First off I was at muchy on Sat clearing trail. I ride at muchy about once a week and almost every time I ride I do trail work. I also attend trail maintenance days every time I can, provided I am available. As for the rest of the people that I was riding with, all of them put more than their fair share of trail work in maintaining the parks that they live closer to.

Now your point of many hands makes light work “was kind of blown away when 3 of us were working on a section of trail and a large group of riders came through - amazingly, not one of them offered to help drag some of the stuff off the trail” is not lost on me.
Or the point you make when you said “decided yesterday to do a fun little loop in Allamuchy North. We all hoped to enjoy the day with a ride. The ride turned out to be a lot of "cross training" with sawing, dragging and lifting the deadfall. We didn't plan to do TM on the ride, it just happened that we took care of what we could as we were riding.” I agree with you, it doesn’t hurt to do a little work when you ride, and I will add sometimes things don’t work out as planned. (The 2h 45m ride that we planned turned into a four and a half hour ride.)

I would like to point out “all work and no play make jack a dull boy”:D, most of the people on that ride rarely ever get the cance to ride muchy, and besides we did move some stuff off the trail earlier in the ride. I would also like to say that none of us were annoyed with you, when we passed you that was near the end of nearly four and a half hours of riding. We had all had enough and wanted to be done with the ride.:drooling:

I’ve only know these riders for a short while, but the amount of maintenance that I have seen and or been a part of. In combination with the dedication to maintain or improve trail access that I have seen with this group of riders has really impressed me. That’s why I decided to join the same club that they are all a part of. (Black Bear Cycling.com) the club has been taking care of Wawayanda for some time, they do the Wawayanda spring cleaning race. We have also just taken on the challenge of maintaining Stokes, and it needs a lot of work but has fantastic riding. And the last I heard we will also be taking on the Ringwood fall classic next year. I don’t know exactly how many people we have in the club but it’s not a lot. Any and all help would be great.

The insult comes from your assumption that we don’t do any maintenance, and can’t be bothered to because we didn’t offer to help finish clearing the spot that you had stopped at, and then proceed to ridicule our behavior without knowing a thing about any of us. To me you come off as being one of those people that wants the pat on the back every time you do something good, and you make sure to tell everyone about. I’m guessing you steamed for the rest of the day over it, or maybe you just wanted everybody to know how good a person you are. For all I know you do more work than everyone. Sorry we annoyed you.

I hope that all of you that ride, wherever you ride, take care of the trails that take care of you!!! :cool:

My apologies,

Steve

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
One of my fellow riders brought your post to my attention and I have to say I’m insulted(even if not directed at me)!!:confused: I’ll quote some of what was sent to me.
“this kind of pisses me off because people go on threads and say stuff like this without realizing what other people do.”

Ummmm, nobody said it was Blackbear. There were at least 3 groups of riders in there that did that same darn thing. One group (not yours) almost ran over my bike.

It was a frustrating day, as there were tons of branches down and lots of riders while nothing was cleared. A group of us rode the day before from the Waterloo Side and cleared a lot of trails there, too.

Last edited:

scm80

missing the point

Ummmm, nobody said it was Blackbear. There were at least 3 groups of riders in there that did that same darn thing. One group (not yours) almost ran over my bike.

It was a frustrating day, as there were tons of branches down and lots of riders while nothing was cleared. A group of us rode the day before from the Waterloo Side and cleared a lot of trails there, too.

My apologies about the first response that I rote it comes off as though I’m annoyed at you for targeting blackbear that was not my intent, you didn’t target blackbear specifically.
my point is still the same, you dont know what anyone else has done or not done just because they ride by. that is more of what my problem with the comments. wheather or not that was directed at the group uf us riding in the park that day or not is irrelevant.

We have all been working on trails when someone rides by, I dont see what the big deal is. I dont go on to the web and complain about it.

steve

Last edited:

scm80

Positive thinking

I want to thank all the people that did work on the trail. I would also like to encourage people to work on the trails. Join a local bike club and make the effort to keep our trails open. If you don’t know a local club stop in your local bike shop and ask them they should be able to help you find one.

Finally

Hello All:
Deer Park is almost all clear. Keith and Kevin are the major riders who really made this possible. For almost 5 days they brough Chain Saws and everthing to the place to clear them out. I tried to help as much asI could after ork hours. The reroutes are pretty good too. I feel like DP and Allmuchy are my second home. I try not sleep in the jungle but close. I want to thank them big time. They are the hereos of the clean up. And thanks to all who did contributed to it too.
Keep riding ladies gentelman. Allamuchy - Deep Park rock.
Have a good weekend.
emrahayhan

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hello All:
Deer Park is almost all clear.

Yes thank you to all who have been working so diligently, but I did a night ride there and deer park is still very much a mess. Don't be fooled that there is not much more to do because as what I witnessed is many more hours for sure and will try to drag my kids with me tomorrow and put some time in there. White off road up from 2nd parking and trail around the lake also white where new reroute just to name a few areas. Bobw will it be a problem if I bring a chainsaw in the park?

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Keith and Kevin are the major riders who really made this possible. For almost 5 days they brough Chain Saws and everthing to the place to clear them out.

Big shout out to the Connelly brothers!!! And everyone else that has been helpoing out witht he blow down issues of late. I wanted to point out that Kevin was authorized to use a chainsaw in the Park (and is a member of the JORBA crew that works i the park). I also wanted make sure that everyone did not get the idea that anyone can go into the park and start cutting away!

We wil be working on the norht section of the park this Sunday, so hopefuly the whole park will be cleard up this weekend!

Top Bottom