Deer Hunting Time @ CR! PLEASE READ

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
For those who are local, you've received a letter in the mail about the Deer Control going on.

Basically, this time each year the government sends out hunters to keep the deer population down. CR is deer city.

From January 12th till February 14th, hunters will take to the woods. They will shoot between 1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset. There will be yellow cation tape in front of the trail heads during these times. PLEASE, do not take it down. Keep in mind that there are many, many trail heads @ CR - the hunters don't do the best job of marking each trail.

My point -- keep night riding to a minimal at CR for the time being. The letter does say that all night time activities are not permitted during this time, but isn't that usually the case? ;)

Be safe everyone!

-- James

al415

Banned
From January 12th till February 14th, hunters will take to the woods. They will shoot between 1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset

-- James

Am I reading that right? From just before sunrise until just after sunset, so they are shooting all day?

Purple Liquid

Shop Keep
Am I reading that right? From just before sunrise until just after sunset, so they are shooting all day?

This is directly from the letter:

"Culling is permitted to occur from 1/2 hours before sunrise and will not extend beyond 1/2 hour after sunset."

I'd say yes - from what I remember from last year is that there was no shooting going on during the weekends. This letter is rather vague.

However, it does say that: "The Somerset County Park Rangers will post the Washington Valley County Park to advise everyone of the access restrictions". With that in mind, I'll get a copy of whatever is posted and throw it up here for everyone to see. :)

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I know it is necessary but kind of sad. Mainly because the deer at CR let you ride ten feet from them and just stare at you. I get hunting and its necessity but standing ten feet from a deer and shooting it just seems wrong/weird.

BABOYTOY

It's usually Wednesdays and they do hunt all day. They are very close to the trail and move from one position to the next each week. The tape ussually goes up the night before but I do not see any out my window at the moment.

Local Yocal

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I know it is necessary but kind of sad. Mainly because the deer at CR let you ride ten feet from them and just stare at you. I get hunting and its necessity but standing ten feet from a deer and shooting it just seems wrong/weird.

It's not as sad as one would think. The process of culling is different from a normal hunt. The "marksman" is asked to remove the deer from a designated area. it's not for sport, more so like aspca. The real sadness is the loss of public land that these guys used to roam.

I encourage all cyclist to support the NJ Div fish & Wildlife - They really help to obtain open areas and keep them that way. I hate to have to beat the same drum, but unless you want to sit on Rt 80 or 287 fro an additional 35 minutes because of roadkill, please be a little symathetic to the hunters and Div F&G, it's a fine line between wildlife and nuicance as a deer.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
it is wednesdays that they do this. i just got back from a non-ride at CR rangers in the lots and hunters walking around. they said its until febuary. i didnt read this post before i went...oops

Purple Liquid

Shop Keep
Thanks!

Everyone,

Thank you for being respectful of the Deer Curling at Chimney Rock over the past month. There have been no reported problems or anything, great job!

The Curling has now ended - once CR dries up a little bit, the Rock will be rockin' and ready to go! :getsome:

Thanks again guys!
-James

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
FYI- this is back on. I saw the rangers blocking the entrance an yellow tape at the trailheads. (Also saw quads in trucks being unloaded)
I don't have dates or details, maybe somebody else can post that.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It started today

I friend called me this morning & said it started today. I have a request with the park for the dates. I'll post them up after I get them.

So the park is CLOSED today for deer hunting.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Park Closed Dates

The park is closed on these dates. You will not have access to any of the park & will be told to leave if you are caught. I'm just the messenger.

Wednesdays: January 6, 13, 20, 27, and February 3.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions