Decisions Decisions for Road Bike in 09

Engignar

So here is my dilemma. I currently have an early 90's Kestrel EMS 200 which I picked up from someone here on the board. I love the bike, it fits pretty well, rides well, and is gorgeous. It has full Dura Ace, albeit 15 years old. My concern is that the frame has some damage, namely a chunk missing from the seatstay, as well as some hairline cracks in the paint here and there. It is a full carbon bike, and the paint cracks could be due to the frame flexing (which it does), and the paint not being able to give as much as the carbon. It's hard to tell. For the most part the ride is still fairly stiff and solid though. My fear is that it is going to fail when I'm doing 40 mph.

So I am toying with buying either a new frame, or full new bike next year. I really like the ride of carbon, and am willing to spend some money to get what I want. The question is, can I do a custom frame (maybe not carbon but...) from Se7en or someone? Get fitted and find a bike that fits close? Custom may be a bit out of reach, I'd be willing to spend about 2000 for the "right" frame, or 2500 for the "right" complete bike. I figure if I do a frame I could swap most of the compoenents over and then just build it up over time.

I want to do it right, and have a bike I love for the next ten or fifteen years.

I suppose some info about me and my riding might help also - I am 5'9", 30" inseam. I like a semi aggressive riding position and a responsive bike. Currently I have a 42-53 with 12-25 gearing.

Suggestions on full bikes and frames? Custom options? Thanks everyone for digging through my rambling.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The world, as they say, is your oyster.

For reasons which will become clear to others at a future date (next Monday I think), we can have this discussion offline. But I think a custom Se7en is certainly a good road to travel.

J-Dro

For reasons which will become clear to others at a future date (next Monday I think), we can have this discussion offline. But I think a custom Se7en is certainly a good road to travel.

I think we need to call the NSA to decode this message.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
If you want something that will last forever. Go custom. Go titanium. You'll never buy another bike. Not that other materials won't last a long, long time if you take care of it. They're just not "timeless". Even super-high-end carbon looks dated after a few years, just look at the Madone Lance won his 7th tour on compared to the '09.

-Jim.

Engignar

Hmm....I'm liking the sound of this vaguery. I look forward to Monday. Or do I? Does this involve torture? I can survive waterboarding techniques, I have the training you know.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What? Wait, you already know! Answer my last PM with something other than "lamb gyro" and I'll explain more.

J-Dro

OK I'll spill the beans. All 2009 mtbNJ race team members get free custom se7en titanium road bikes. Sorry I can't keep a secret.

Top Bottom