Decision time

rojasj

Ok folks, so as most other people I don't have money falling off the money tree in my backyard, that sucker dried up. Anyway, I have two options as my daughter has pretty much "stolen" my Trek 4300. I can purchase a hardtail such as a Cannondale Trail 5 either new or used or I can put the feelers out there to see if someone has a 2008 or 2009ish Giant Trance in XS or Small. My Trance fit me rather well but at the time I had to sell it...

Thoughts...

rlb

Ok folks, so as most other people I don't have money falling off the money tree in my backyard, that sucker dried up. Anyway, I have two options as my daughter has pretty much "stolen" my Trek 4300. I can purchase a hardtail such as a Cannondale Trail 5 either new or used or I can put the feelers out there to see if someone has a 2008 or 2009ish Giant Trance in XS or Small. My Trance fit me rather well but at the time I had to sell it...

Thoughts...
I'd say buy the newest bike you can afford. The components have improved a bit since 2009! Keep your eyes on the for sale section here, and good luck

rojasj

I'd say buy the newest bike you can afford. The components have improved a bit since 2009! Keep your eyes on the for sale section here, and good luck
It's funny you mention how the components have changed since 2009. I keep forgetting that. I am still going back and forth on a full suspension or a hardtail.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I have to be honest here and gotta say that I do not envy your predicament.
I think you said you are in Bergen Co and already know the type of terrain and I think thats why you are going back and forth between a HT and FS. HT for the affordability and FS because the nnj rocky trails really calls for one. Sure, you can get away with a HT but I don't think you will be satisfied until you ride a FS. The trails up here really beats you up when riding a HT.

How about a lightly used fat bike? You are going to want one at some point..

Last edited:

rlb

It's funny you mention how the components have changed since 2009. I keep forgetting that. I am still going back and forth on a full suspension or a hardtail.

So maybe I should revise my statement a bit, and say buy "the most bike you can afford". Your dollar will go a lot farther on a HT but if you're in FS terrain, well you know your ass will thank you if you can find the right FS bike.

I started riding on a trek 4300. Good bike to get your feet wet, but I do know you'll be pleased with an upgrade!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome.
In your size it will be tough to find a used bike but not impossible.
My advice is buy used for as cheap as possible and use the bike as much as you can. Over time if you enjoyment of mtbing grows save money and make the investment into a better bike, not entry level.
Cheers

Supermoto

I wouldn't recommend the Cannondale trail. A friend got one for his first Mtn bike and every ride there was an issue with it. As others have said, look for something used. If you're on facebook, there are good used bike pages, pinkbike.com is good too

rick81721

Lothar
One advantage to buying new if you can swing it is the warranty factor. I've had multiple components (up to and including completely new frames) replaced under warranty.

qclabrat

Thoughts...
what's your price range?
are you looking to stick with 26" wheels like the '09 Trance? Wheels sizes are very different nowadays

rojasj

One advantage to buying new if you can swing it is the warranty factor. I've had multiple components (up to and including completely new frames) replaced under warranty.
Yup, the warranty aspect is important to me. Other than my one full suspension that I had to sell I usually keep my stuff. SO I may just hold off until I can go new.

Top Bottom