Davis WV - Canaan, Blackwater Falls/Canyon - Local Dirt

onetracker

Pointing the Van towards Davis WV soon. Have always wanted to ride in that area due to the natural beauty and the lore of epic trails. Any suggestions or local knowledge? Thanks in advance!

onetracker

Thank you! I intended on looking those guys up. What areas/trails did you like riding best? Was there a campground that you especially liked (that had the best location)?

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So Mrs Manic and I spent a few nights in Thomas WV on the return leg of our honeymoon (roadtrip to Nashville).
We rented at Blackwater and were able to roll right from the shop (Monongahela NF).

Budget some time to spend in town at Davis and Thomas.
Two tiny former coal mining towns,
yet they somehow each had their own espresso bar and brewery.
And go see whoever is playing at the Purple Fiddle
https://purplefiddle.com/
Great little venue to see whoever,
and very good beer selection.

one piece crank

I cut my mountain biking teeth in Davis. Beautiful area, and Blackwater Bikes was the East Coast epicenter with their 1980's Canaan Mountain Series - Trials on Saturday and XC Race on Sunday!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thank you! I intended on looking those guys up. What areas/trails did you like riding best? Was there a campground that you especially liked (that had the best location)?
We spent our time a slatyfork river tours (cabins) and https://ertc.com/ which also had a quaint sitdown mini restaurant for the guest. All healthy home cooking. It's been a while so I cant reccomend trails specifically but again that's where shop will come in hand. Be ready for all day adventures. We did 5 mile jeep road climbs for 8 miles of DH single track to basin railroad bed then 20 miles of RR out. This is very typical.

onetracker

OK. Thanks! I will make sure to ride my face off, see lots of live music and drink some local beer. Really appreciate your comments.

onetracker

Currently working my way riding through WV.
2085BA6B-6AA7-4E20-9EA4-B1273B353A55.jpeg

onetracker

So I have not found the climbing that crazy. But I cannot find the super secret backcountry single track as of yet. Still looking.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Post up some trail forks locations where you're at.
Did you swing by the shop?

onetracker

So I have no phone connectivity, so I have been using WiFi when possible. Thus I have been using maps and no phone navigation. I have ridden: Blackwater Falls SP, Davis In Town Trails, Dobbin House Trails, some backcountry trails in Thomas, Canaan Valley Resort SP (Including new machine built trail), the trails in the National Forest, the machine built trails in Thomas-downtown, a bunch of gravel and some trails off Camp 70 road.

My general assessment is that the towns of Davis and Thomas are cool. Great beer and sweet burritos. Canaan valley is beautiful. I would say the trails are good, not great. The singletrack needs some maintainence and there are many more double track/woods road environments. Camping at Blackwater Falls SP is excellent. But sum total of vibe, trails, natural beauty and beer equals good times.

onetracker

BTW-I stopped by the shop 2x and also consulted the Tucker County Visitors Bureau (when the shop) was closed. Thanks again for all the tips.

Top Bottom