Darkness at 909 Night Race Sat Oct 27th

xc62701

Is anybody planning on attending? I will be there for sure. This was a fun race last year and I can't wait for it Saturday. 9 mile sweet loop of tight twisty not too hilly terrain that is a blast to tear through. It's up off of the Taconic Parkway, I believe it's in Taconic Hereford Park. A little bit of a hike but the characters that show are enjoyable. Costumes are encouraged and the after party was a blast last year. Round 2 should be even more fun for me hopefully.

Maurice

You don't need lights! Just catch up to the guy in front of you very quickly and ride with them for the remainder of the lap ;)

Right. The bonus is if I crash hard enough I won't even need to whip out the "Return of the Living Dead" costume.

S

Shar0se

To all who go- have fun and BE SAFE! Dark and slick.....be careful!

C.Puncher

I will be attending, as well as three other of us mountain biking savages....Look for some strangely dressed folks...This race is gonna rock...rain or not. It rained last year and still was a blast.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
I will be there too. It's gonna be a rockin good time. Actually, it will be eggsellent. ;) Just look for a yellow bike and a 6foot chicken riding it.

J

JDG1317

starts

I'll be there...

Do they just do the starts from fastest to less fast( <-- PC) classes?

What are the starting intervals?

C.Puncher

Last year the intervals were 1 minute between riders, in random order. The classes were mixed in the line. The trails didn't get bunched up at all. Some dude with a leaf blower blew off the entire 9 miles last year. I still found myself flying through the air, detached from my bike, wondering what I hit.

xc62701

Well as of 10:30 the rain looks like it'll be steady all day saturday. Get those mud tires on! It's gonna rock!!!

xc62701

Oooh oooh new report just in. It's going to rain all Saturday but back off around 4 and although it may be sloppy it won't be raining as we race :)

xc62701

Just like this year, this race was awesome. Many thanks to Tim Schopen for putting on a great race and leaf blowing the entire course again! The course was soaked but it really wasn't muddy except for the few obvious mud holes that there were lines around. I had the unfortunate idea of preregistering so I was the first one out of the gate. They did the start as a time trial with 1 minute intervals. So I was the official rabbit.

I took off HARD and wanted to make sure I was the first one to finish. I was cooking into the singletrack and either my cleat was loose or the pedal was fouled but the right pedal wouldn't release so I went down on a couple of slow uphill turns on wet roots. I basically hit the ground, shot up, ran to the top of the hill and took off again. Those falls made me check my speed and I eased back a bit and the terrain got more friendly and I was reading the roots better. I started taking off again and flying. Winding through the trees, and killing the flowy parts all the while looking back for lights but nothing. So I kept hammering. I saw a few nice deer and still no lights from behind.

I knew I was within a couple miles from the finish so I put in a hard effort and came through the line strong. I had more in me but the cold start and the couple of falls made me slow down a bit. I finished 1st, no one passed and in a time of 1:05:15. I was happy with that. As the results came in there were only 2 experts in my class and I finished 2nd behind the other who was 3 minutes quicker. Overall I finished 10th of 56. So not too shabby. After finishing it was time to enjoy the fire, have a couple of beverages and enjoy the end of the race season...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice report man! lad you enjoyed it. I looked for you at LM today but didn't see you. Figured you bagged it due to last night.

RogerRacer

909 nite race fun fun fun

OMG what big fun that race was . :) I started off fast blowing up & recovering & back on the gas again.I had it wound up pretty good & finish strong. For first in my catagory ,with a time of 1:04, ave speed 8.8 mph & top speed of 28.5 mph .Somthing about hang around a camp fire & have a few adult beverages.Makes me feel like a teenager again.This is a must do race every year .Did I forget to say I had fun, oh baby .nite race summer series????? now that would be kool

xc62701

OMG what big fun that race was . :) I started off fast blowing up & recovering & back on the gas again.I had it wound up pretty good & finish strong. For first in my catagory ,with a time of 1:04, ave speed 8.8 mph & top speed of 28.5 mph .Somthing about hang around a camp fire & have a few adult beverages.Makes me feel like a teenager again.This is a must do race every year .Did I forget to say I had fun, oh baby .nite race summer series????? now that would be kool

You're just happy you snagged me by a min...:getsome:

Top Bottom