Darkness 909 or Wharton State Forrest Halloween Ride?

NJ Jess

So who's doing what? I hear great things about the Darkness 909. yes, it's in pleasant valley NY, but it's a legal night ride with a time trial start and prizes for the best costumes. This ride has some of the best swag too.

Then there is JAR's halloween ride in south jersey. I don't know much about it, but this is a new place to ride mountain bikes!

Does anyone know of any other bike related events? Smiles, NJ Jess

Shaggz

A strong 7
The 909 is a GREAT place to ride at night. I did night races there in '01 and '02, and the vibe was really great. There are several board crossing which are a real trip in the dark.

Iwon't be able to make it this year - in the home stretch before that baby is due. It is a bit of a ride (not as far as 7 springs); but easy to get to. I think it took us 1:15 from Nyack.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Is the D909 the one that goes through some sort of jack-o-lantern/pumpkin lined cave, or some such thing? :? :?:

Shaggz

A strong 7
mergs said:
Is the D909 the one that goes through some sort of jack-o-lantern/pumpkin lined cave, or some such thing? :? :?:

I have heard of that race, but I do not believe it is the 909. I did some night summer races sponsored by an LBS, but never the Halloween rides. There were no tunnels/caves on the course.

Funny - I have been googling that variations of that description to find that race. From what I heard, spectators line up for that portion of the course because there is a drop-in (or out) of the cave, and there are ususally some great endos and wipe outs.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
smarencik said:
mergs said:

I have heard of that race, but I do not believe it is the 909. I did some night summer races sponsored by an LBS, but never the Halloween rides. There were no tunnels/caves on the course.

Funny - I have been googling that variations of that description to find that race. From what I heard, spectators line up for that portion of the course because there is a drop-in (or out) of the cave, and there are ususally some great endos and wipe outs.

come to think of it... I think the race called "Williams" something :/

ahh here it is: Williams Lake Race

http://www.chronogram.com/issue/2005/05/communitynotebook/classic.php

Last paragraph has a pic, and mentions that drop :)

NJ Jess

It was an Awesome race!

The Williams Lake race in the H2H series was Great! One had to focus the entire race. The furtherest thing from boring or easy. The cave was so cool,....and that means temperature too! The williams lake resort owns the land, so I think you have a day charge to ride. The Campmor rep would like the H2H series to grow from 8 to 10 races. Perhaps they can put this in twice! Another race with lit pumkins is a Root 66 series race called "smashing Pumkins." It was on Sept 25th. Smiles, NJ Jess

Shaggz

A strong 7
Thanks for the info. A guy I used to workout with told me about that race about 12 years ago, and that is what peaked my interest in riding. He has long since moved away, and his stories always come to mind around this time of year.

Do you know if they still hold that race? If not, the 909 night ride (which from the map seems closer than Rosendale), would be worth the ride.

Top Bottom