Shop Keep
Sounds like fun!
I'd do it.
Either on a converted or a loaner...
Evan, can I borrow your bike?

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I don't have a SS but I know if you limit classes in racing it only gets better.There are a ton of ss that would go especially if you find some way to do a limited but substantial payout.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Cool idea, but to make it different, you may need to mix it up a bit or add something that a racer would not get at a race, like 4 hours of SS. Singlespeeders do love riding at Stewart. Unfortunately I am an odd ball and do not, but I would come anyway because it sounds fun and would be a great way to get people out on singlespeeds. Although, I would say skip the drinking before the ride and just ride naked!.... except I just remembered all that poison ivy, so nix that idea, maybe costumes.:D

Pokgirl

Spork
Chris has been talking about converting his hardtail to SS again. If you PROMISE I will have fun (rather than the racing spirit will overtake me), then I too would have to rangle up a SS.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
How about a bob trailer class :confused: as well. mr pixy would be down with that.

"SS, Tandems, Unicycle and Bob Trailer Buffer Zone Championships"

Panhead

I'm in for it. A S/S world championship sounds real good.
Pixi- Tecnu gets rid of poison ivy real good.

xc62701

ok, so the season is winding down and we are already brewing up ideas for next year.
so read below and give us some feedback.

we were thinking about a singlespeed only race at stewart.
categories open men and open women
preem cards and schwag for prizes

2 laps maybe 12-15 miles each maybe less maybe more

maybe no laps, checkpoint style?

bbq and bev's post race?

would you come?
would you bring a friend?
sound interesting or stupid?

were big boys give us your opinion.

thanks

That sounds great I would definitely come and bring friends.

Would you have SS's for rent? Not sure if I'll have one by then :hmmm:

s4lnj

i'm new to mtb... but with my bmx background, single speedc is something that interests me. i have a specialized hardrock single speed.. this would be good enough i guess??? sounds like a good time... count me in

MST.ESQ

Anyone have leads on SS rentals (other than beach cruisers at the shore)?

Dark Horse: Maybe you can lend me the Pivot demo from your shop - I promise not to shift :D

maddawg

thanks for all the feedback.

ok so heres something else that has been floating around in my noogin.

checkpoint style event.
at the start you receive a map and a card
this map will have a certain number of checkpoints on it.
you must get to each checkpoint and get your card punched by the checkpoint volunteer
they may require you to complete a task or activity to get your card punched
you can visit any checkpoint in any order
you will have a limited time to complete all checkpoints
fastest to finish with all checkpoints completed is the winner
this will be fully self supported no aid stations

something a little different.
no i didnt think it up. i am borrowing heavily from an event that takes place somewhere else. but it sounds like a lot of fun!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
no i didnt think it up. i am borrowing heavily from an event that takes place somewhere else. but it sounds like a lot of fun!

Sounds like the one down in NC, in Pisgah maybe? Do it up team style! Bonus points for shotguns!

maddawg

yup, pisgah mountain bike adventure. they also have the double dare and the "most horrible thing ever". sweet eh?

i think teams are overkill in stewart. i know why they use them down there. you are way out in the forest and very exposed. fully under self support so if it goes wrong it can go really wrong fast!

so what say ye?

maybe a little different spin than just riding in circles all day!!:D

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
The New York Adventure Race Assoc. do a similar race in NYC called the "Urban Bike-O," although it's not a MTB-specific race (but I've won both the team and solo cats on a mountain bike). It's fun, but a big part of the fun is the craziness of the city itself.

I would not be as inclined toward that race as I would a NESSCOTU (NorthEastern SingleSpeed Championship Of The Universe).

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I think teams are cool, because it may get some more first timers, friends, wives and kids out there.

TonyC

thanks for all the feedback.

ok so heres something else that has been floating around in my noogin.

checkpoint style event.
at the start you receive a map and a card
this map will have a certain number of checkpoints on it.
you must get to each checkpoint and get your card punched by the checkpoint volunteer
they may require you to complete a task or activity to get your card punched
you can visit any checkpoint in any order
you will have a limited time to complete all checkpoints
fastest to finish with all checkpoints completed is the winner
this will be fully self supported no aid stations

I was thinking the same type of thing. On my train commute this morning the
Conductors have hole punch clickers and was thinking... mmm

How about one lap of the DH40 course and at each checkpoint you down a pint of beer, eat items, do pushups and you get your raceplate hole punched. For each task completed deduct 2 minutes off your finish time.

If you do teams you must all ride at same time and finish together. Only one lap and add up hole punches for competed tasks..

Btw, to answer your OP I will bring a friend and he'll buy a SS solely for these type of races.

-DarkhorSSe Winter Racing-

then if it takes off have the "First Annual Darkhorse October FeSST" next October to start the DHSSWR schedule.

No poison ivy to boot.

later,
Tony

walter

Fourth Party
I would go just for the atmosphere and to yell obscenities.

This sounds like a really cool idea!

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
How about one lap of the DH40 course and at each checkpoint you down a pint of beer, eat items, do pushups and you get your raceplate hole punched. For each task completed deduct 2 minutes off your finish time.

Funny! But you'd have to call it the "First Annual Drunkhorse October FeSST"

Sure, I'd be crazy enough to do it.
And with points for time deductions, we'll see who really can finish before they start. :rofl:

Top Bottom