Darkhorse 40 this weekend...

ryderX

Any of you folks heading up to the Darkhorse 40 this weekend? My legs may feel a wee bit better by Sunday. I'll be on the 'ol SS, for s@#$'s and giggles. Should be a fun day, though truthfully after my dismal performance this past weekend anything will be fun...

ArmyOfNone

Has anyone seen what the big loop has to it? Or atleast may be someone has some knowledge of what is out there. I hear that stewart has a crazy amount of singletrack. Im wondering if i need to tinker w/ my gearing....

I have been thinking more and more about this race. 40 miles is going to be a long time in the saddle. It will b my longest MTB ride. Im really looking forward to it.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Has anyone seen what the big loop has to it? Or atleast may be someone has some knowledge of what is out there. I hear that stewart has a crazy amount of singletrack. Im wondering if i need to tinker w/ my gearing....

I have been thinking more and more about this race. 40 miles is going to be a long time in the saddle. It will b my longest MTB ride. Im really looking forward to it.

Was there last Sunday to ride the course. The usual Stewart single track, with some big loops off the back. The course crosses some beautiful fields of wildfloweres and along some ponds with some sudden steep ups on power lines, ending with the wedding cake climbs. I suppose in a race you may not notice the scenery, but it's there incase you decide to check it out. Who knows, you may have a weak moment when you think you can't go on any longer and why are you doing this, That may be a good time to check out the scenery.

Oh yeh, I'll be there Sunday too. Doing a team with a cute semi pro guy!!;)

ArmyOfNone

Pixy, how steep are the steeps? How long is the "wedding cake" climb?

And one last thing...you might want to have a second look at the last line of your post. I know us MTB ppls are a bit weird and we have our quirks. :hmmm: :D :D

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Pixy, how steep are the steeps? How long is the "wedding cake" climb? :D

Some of the ups are fairly steep, but all short. I made it up most with gears, but would not be able to with my SS on some, but that is not to say that others will do fine on SS. Keep in mind that I am only 115# and ride like a girl.:D

Wedding cake is a seiries of climbs, not a long climb. Some of it was in first Stewart race this year. I think I rode most of it with my 32x22 :getsome: but walked with my 32x18 :mad2: . Ahhh... the many faces of single-speeding!

Hope that helps.:confused:

See you up there.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I'll be there on my SS. And I am definitely not ready...This is my first race and longest ride on a SS. My goal is just to finish. (before dusk :) )

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I'll be there on my SS. And I am definitely not ready...This is my first race and longest ride on a SS. My goal is just to finish. (before dusk :) )

Awesome !! I'll bring an extra bag of pixydust for you brave singlespeeders.

..... We will want the full race report afterwards.:)

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
I rode the first Stewart race on a friend's SS. My first time really riding a SS... and it was a lot of fun on that course. The steep climbs are short. The only time I wish I had gears was in that slog up the road toward the finish line, and the gearing on my friend's SS was pretty steep (34-18 on a 29er). On the trails themselves, I only had to get off and run up a handful of times.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
good to know. That is how I remembered it, because I've only been there once (or twice :hmmm: ) So I figured it couldn't be that bad on a SS. But a few weeks after I signed up, the big 40 starting to sink in my head....It might not be very technical or a lot of climbing, but it is still 40 miles!!! So we shall see...

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll be there as long as the weather looks dry, looking forward to it.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Conditions for Sunday

So how does this place drain?
Should we expect a lot of mud??

I took the day off today to go ride some trails by New Paltz. I joined a buddy of mine and his friends for the 1st day of their weekend trip. What a wash out!! We had to change the original plans because of the rain, so we ended up riding mostly carriage trails and paved roads in Mohonk under pouring rain! :mad:

It rained all day and was still raining when I left. This place is not too far from Stewart? So I was wondering about the racecourse conditions for Sunday.

Top Bottom