dark horse 40

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
cog?

fastest time overall posted by a singlespeed. hhhmmmmmmm....

:hmmm:

I am curious as to his gearing.

I also noted that the fastest 2 person team was slower than the single riders.

My buddy Juan won the Expert as he usually does but I thought that 2 people riding their best for 1/2 the race would be faster?

I guess none of the really fast guys would share the race?

Except for Maurice of course.

j

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
big balls

I am curious as to his gearing.
I think the SS guys who are hitting the podium at Stewart are in the 2x1 range or even bigger, on 29ers of course. So we're talking a lot of gear here.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I also noted that the fastest 2 person team was slower than the single riders.

My buddy Juan won the Expert as he usually does but I thought that 2 people riding their best for 1/2 the race would be faster?

I guess none of the really fast guys would share the race?

Except for Maurice of course.

j

I could be wrong, but I got the feeling that the 2 person teams were not into it for being competitive. Some of the teams were made up of half sport and beginner racers like Maurice and his wife in her first race. The one 20 mile lap is still a big deal for them. Plus the teams started behind sports, so if you were an expert or pro, there were long lines of traffic and lots of singletrack. So you may be comparing apples to oranges.

btw - Thanks Maurice for getting your wife out there! We need more women racing !!! Hope she comes out again. I may have an XS yeti ASR for sale soon.

I'm not into long races myself, but came for the social part of it. I did a co-ed team. The winners of our class and catagories doing the whole 40 were 3:18 and 3:38. So we should fall in the middle at 3:28, right? But I only had to do one lap(my teammate rode with me for the 2nd) and we finished 3:21 which is slightly faster.... to answer your question.

Great performance for Tim Haits either way. I think he is over 40 years old too. Some people just keep getting faster.

I think the last 5 miles is what did everyone in. I was just hitting stride at my 15 miles in, and others seemed to be suffering and cramping at 35 miles. I saw 2 guys just fall right over. It was a tough race to drink from a bottle with all the single track. So getting electrolytes in was a problem. I had a bottle and never touched it.

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i must be losing my mind, because i cant find his name in the results. unless he has a secret other name that he hasn't told me about....:hmmm:

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I enjoyed reading the other reports.

I must say I really love this race. :D It's not the most technical but it makes up for it with lots of fast, flowing singletrack. My race was mostly uneventful except for 1 OTB on a decent (front wheel caught a rock after picking the wrong line) & running into a tree looking back at someone who was following me. I had to stop twice because of some major leg cramps, the 2nd time was so bad I couldn't even walk at about mile 37. I'm pretty happy with how this race went for me & my goal was to finish in under 4 hours, which I did. I'll most certainly be back next year.

Norm- You shouldn't have changed your mind on this one, it was just too much fun. The tires worked out perfect for this course, they are just plain fast. A big THANKS.

Maurice- Now I know why it took you so long to pass me, I figured it would have happened in the 1st 10 minutes. I pasted your wife on 1 of the climbs & she looked like she was having fun, great to see her out there.

Fred- I guess when I passed you had just gotten up from your 1st fall, you did look a little disheveled. I think if I had decided to take the ss up there I would have quit, though the water did cause some shifting problems for me the 2nd half of the race.

Brett- I agree on the skills thing. I had 1 guy yell @ me to back off on a little rocky decent, if he went any slower he would have fell over. People were falling all over the place, especially on the 1st lap, on easy stuff. But who I'm I to talk, as I fell once too.

That’s' my lame write up.

Kirt

ArmyOfNone

Yep thats right Kirt. I just ate it pretty hard when you saw me. I was actually more frustrated that i went down bc i was just not paying attention. But it hurt a bit.

I recall people dropping rings on small 3 foot rock sections. They would stumble on thru and then like a bumbling idiot i would do the same thing. It was pretty sad. I didnt have that problem when i was alone. Funny.

Goodness i cannot wait till next year! Jake you better be ready fool!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Kirt, good stuff. Again I'm impressed with your results. Great job, glad you liked the tires.

ArmyOfNone

O my GF makes amazing chocolate chocolate cookies! She mixes in white chocolate chunks and walnuts. I am not a big sweets guy at all but :drooling:

Next time i see you, you shall claim your prize

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Crap that was worth a cookie? Man I missed that or I would have answered as soon as I saw it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No worries it would be stale by the time I rode with you anyway.

Top Bottom