Dark Beers: Porters, Browns and Stouts

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Update on my purchases since tasting each;

- Whole Hog cuppa espresso: love it. Very strong coffee taste. The Foolproof tasted bland following this. Will be buying again.
- Foolproof vanilla/coffee: this one I’m happy I came back to. Having tried it after the Whole Hog it was bland and I while I didn’t dislike it I thought it was nothing special. Tried it on its own the next night and felt much better about it. The vanilla and coffee are both there but much subtler than the whole hog and didn’t come through after following it. If you’re looking for milder flavor this is it.
- Samuel Smith’s Chocolate Stout: by far my favorite of the bunch. First sip and immediately thought chocolate milkshake. Not sweet, just very chocolatey. Can’t wait to get more.

Hope my short untrained reviews help someone undecided on trying something. My taste might not be yours though so ymmv. Enjoy.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Update on my purchases since tasting each;

- Whole Hog cuppa espresso: love it. Very strong coffee taste. The Foolproof tasted bland following this. Will be buying again.
- Foolproof vanilla/coffee: this one I’m happy I came back to. Having tried it after the Whole Hog it was bland and I while I didn’t dislike it I thought it was nothing special. Tried it on its own the next night and felt much better about it. The vanilla and coffee are both there but much subtler than the whole hog and didn’t come through after following it. If you’re looking for milder flavor this is it.
- Samuel Smith’s Chocolate Stout: by far my favorite of the bunch. First sip and immediately thought chocolate milkshake. Not sweet, just very chocolatey. Can’t wait to get more.

Hope my short untrained reviews help someone undecided on trying something. My taste might not be yours though so ymmv. Enjoy.
Yes, order of operations is very important when tasting stuff.
A big heavy beer early can just lay waste to all others that follow.
Anything I really want to try/taste gets first dibs on the palate.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Curiosity got the better of me, and I’m happy. This stuff is delicious. I love chocolate and peanut butter and this stuff tastes like a Reece’s peanut butter cup porter. Maybe this stuff isn’t for everybody but I’m loving it. Horny Goat Brewing Co. chocolate peanut butter porter. Found at wegmans, $10.99.

Attachments

• B6928F84-406B-4436-8AEE-BF5F140101CB.jpeg
    B6928F84-406B-4436-8AEE-BF5F140101CB.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom