damn tire bead!!!

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i flatted yesterday and replaced the tube but no matter what i do the bead will NOT sit right. any hints or tips before i wig out and launch the wheel off a bridge?

walter

Fourth Party
I usually let some air out and just rock the tire back and forth with my hands, but someone suggested recently putting some soap around the bead to help it out.

Zaskar

high pressure

I found that high pressure works.

I have laser disc wheels with kenda tires and it is almost impossible to get them to re-seat while on the trial.:mad: I have a compressor at home that I use "pop" them in place.

Wobbegong

Pump that bad boy to max and see if it sits. Wear eye protection, you have had enough eye problems! ;)

gtluke

The Moped
And ear protection!
soapy water works, but around the entire bead. you need the whole thing to slip together. not just the part that is stuck. it's stuck because it doesn't have enough slack from the rest of the bead.

BiknBen

soapy water works.QUOTE]

Any type of liquid will provide just enough lubrication to help the bead slip into place. I've seen everything from soapy water to Simple Green used. Just grab whatever you have most accessible; Windex, Pledge, soapy water. Spray it on the sidewall of the tire and the rim. It will run down into the bead. When complete, just wipe away any excess.

Disclaimer: I try to avoid this. Adding a fluid to provide lubrication to the tire bead just seems wrong to me. This is one of my gripes about UST rims/tires. I would try plain water first. It is nature's lubricant and may be just enough to get the job done.

gtluke

The Moped
soapy water is good because when it dries it's actually tacky and helps hold the tire on. if you used say wd40 it would be greasy forever. usually not a problem but a lot of tubeless guys run into problems with the tire blowing off, this would not help.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
that pink spray bike cleaner stuff works well also. Are these tubed or tubeless tires? For tubed tires, I usually pump the tire up to like 15 psi and then squeeze the tire and move the bead around as needed. Note, DO NOT do this with tubeless.

BiknBen

soapy water is good because when it dries it's actually tacky and helps hold the tire on. if you used say wd40 it would be greasy forever. usually not a problem but a lot of tubeless guys run into problems with the tire blowing off, this would not help.

I agree. Do not use an actual lubricant. Use something that will provide momentary lubrication and then just dry up or something. That is why I suggest just using plain water first.

BiknBen

that pink spray bike cleaner stuff works well also. Are these tubed or tubeless tires? For tubed tires, I usually pump the tire up to like 15 psi and then squeeze the tire and move the bead around as needed. Note, DO NOT do this with tubeless.

MIG mentioned he "replaced the tube"...I assume we are talking about a tire and tube scenario.

Wobbegong

i assumed that also, but other people seemed to be refering to mounting tubeless.

I have Saguaros set up with tubes. I need to take the tire up to fuul pressure to get it to set straight. Then I bring it down to around 26psi for riding.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
yeah i have laser disk wheels and kenda tires too. no its not a tubeless set up lol. ill give the soap and water thing a try when i get out there later.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i got it!!! scott-1, wheel-0

Photo194.jpg

Top Bottom