Daily Meals?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are you weighing yourself in the morning after you wake up? A 12 pounds fluctuation is abnormal. I fluctuate a lot, sometimes up to 4 pounds from day to day. But there's a pattern to it, and I rarely see more than 2-3 pounds in a day. It's all water of course, you can't really gain 12 pounds over the weekend. But the 175 sounds like major dehydration to me.

J

Jeff

is your scale in the same spot each time you weigh yourself? my scale will register as much as 4 pounds heavier, depending on which part of the bathroom floor it is located.
Are you weighing yourself in the morning after you wake up? A 12 pounds fluctuation is abnormal. I fluctuate a lot, sometimes up to 4 pounds from day to day. But there's a pattern to it, and I rarely see more than 2-3 pounds in a day. It's all water of course, you can't really gain 12 pounds over the weekend. But the 175 sounds like major dehydration to me.

I usually weigh myself at 3 points in the day, and only reference similar scales/time intervals to each other. Once when I awake, once on the locker room scale at the gym, and once before bed- neither of the scales move. The dehydration theory is very probable, as it was after the first week that I had my new bike, so I was doing a LOT of riding. I figured that as well. But within even the last two months i've been as high as 198 and gone from there to 180 and back a few times. Though I haven't drank in about 4 weeks now and don't plan on starting up again, so perhaps my body will balance itself out a bit more now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Drinking will screw the numbers up for sure, but not to the tune of 18 pounds. The biggest spread I generally see over a week is maybe 7 pounds on a crazy week. But I weigh myself every day and there's a definite pattern. Fri/Sat are my lowest days of the week, and Mon is the highest. If you're 10 pounds heavier on a Monday you should feel bloated.

J

Jeff

Well I know it shouldn't, but that's why it's so wierd. My general nutritional schedule used to be extremely healthy m-f and extremely overboard through sunday- having changed this majorly, we will see if things get a bit less volatile in jeff city. Also, I was a total chubster when I was younger, so I certainly have no problem gaining weight.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well I know it shouldn't, but that's why it's so wierd. My general nutritional schedule used to be extremely healthy m-f and extremely overboard through sunday- having changed this majorly, we will see if things get a bit less volatile in jeff city. Also, I was a total chubster when I was younger, so I certainly have no problem gaining weight.

Ditto all around. I'm in the 190 realm now and used to weigh in the neighborhood of 100 pounds more than that. But it's hasn't been hard for me to stabilize. Gaining weight is one thing but those swings are enormous!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Weigh yourself only once a day and leave it at that. Morning weight, post-bathroom, pre-breakfast, is the only one that should matter.

Pre- and post-ride weight for hydration checks is valid as well, but shouldn't be an issue if your fluid intake is up to snuff.

Way too many variables involved over the course of a typical day for further data to have much meaning, IMO.

J

Jeff

Well I don't 'analyze' it, per se, I just happen to pass a scale at those junctions and can't resist ;) I tend to pay the most attention to my morning weigh-in, though. I always weigh myself both before and after the gym as well. Lately, I'll weigh in beforehand at about 181, and weigh about 178 when I leave. I don't know if that's typical or non-typical of an amount of water weight to move through in 1.5-2 hours or not, though...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Weigh yourself only once a day and leave it at that. Morning weight, post-bathroom, pre-breakfast, is the only one that should matter.

Pre- and post-ride weight for hydration checks is valid as well, but shouldn't be an issue if your fluid intake is up to snuff.

Way too many variables involved over the course of a typical day for further data to have much meaning, IMO.

Yes, exactly, perfect.

Well I don't 'analyze' it, per se, I just happen to pass a scale at those junctions and can't resist ;) I tend to pay the most attention to my morning weigh-in, though. I always weigh myself both before and after the gym as well. Lately, I'll weigh in beforehand at about 181, and weigh about 178 when I leave. I don't know if that's typical or non-typical of an amount of water weight to move through in 1.5-2 hours or not, though...

I've lost 10 pounds on a 4 hour ride while actually drinking fluids, so 3 pounds in 2 hours is within normal. But before and after the gym is a useless gesture IMO. What's the point? If your low point is after you sweat a lot, it's a meaningless number. That day I lost 10 pounds on the bike was nothing more than an indication I'm dreadful at hydrating.

If you weigh yourself every day after work, or right before bed as well, it might be indicative of...something. But random scale breaks are probably the first step in driving yourself insane.

J

Jeff

heh, I think you're getting the impression that I care much more than I really do. It's more of a "hey, I'm walking past the scale in my underwear right now- I wonder what I weigh!" sort of thing.

I've always been somewhat of a mental packrat; as in I am drawn to little useless bits of knowledge that may not be immediately helpful but may make more sense later. Falling into that general trap is 'body weight at different times'. I guess I somehow hope to draw some sort of conclusion or better understanding of how my body works by taking notice of things like that throughout the day. If I was really that worried about my body, I imagine that I wouldn't regularly hurl it down rocky mountainsides on wheels!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
heh, I think you're getting the impression that I care much more than I really do. It's more of a "hey, I'm walking past the scale in my underwear right now- I wonder what I weigh!" sort of thing.

I've always been somewhat of a mental packrat; as in I am drawn to little useless bits of knowledge that may not be immediately helpful but may make more sense later. Falling into that general trap is 'body weight at different times'. I guess I somehow hope to draw some sort of conclusion or better understanding of how my body works by taking notice of things like that throughout the day. If I was really that worried about my body, I imagine that I wouldn't regularly hurl it down rocky mountainsides on wheels!

Fair enough, but I'm forced to ask the question, do you often spend your time walking around in your underwear?

J

Jeff

Fair enough, but I'm forced to ask the question, do you often spend your time walking around in your underwear?

Good Question, but I am forced to answer your question with the question, are you asking me on a date?

Because I'm free. Just say'n...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good Question, but I am forced to answer your question with the question, are you asking me on a date?

Because I'm free. Just say'n...

Sure, do you like to dance? I'll be doing the Whirling Dervish this weekend from 12-12 at Allamuchy. Feel free to come by and cut the rug/mud whenever you want.

J

Jeff

Oh, I'll most certainly be there mudcutting and whatnot! Saturday is an 85 mile road ride at 9am, too. Should be nothing short of excruciating on a 35 pound DH bike... maybe some of these nutrition threads can help me survive it.

ArmyOfNone

Oh, I'll most certainly be there mudcutting and whatnot! Saturday is an 85 mile road ride at 9am, too. Should be nothing short of excruciating on a 35 pound DH bike... maybe some of these nutrition threads can help me survive it.

Just to clarify you are riding your DH rig at Allamuchy. The 85 mile ride will be on a road bike. Right?...

I dont know if anyone else read that like i.

J

Jeff

haha, no, you read it correctly- I'm going to try to do the road ride on the DH =P If it's too much at the 45 mile check point i'll stop there.

Top Bottom