Cygolite Expilion 800

MikeP

This is my second Cygolite Expilion (I run the 350 version on my bars). I bought this to replace my MagicShine. There's nothing wrong with the MagicShine, it's an awesome value I just wanted to go cordless. First ride tonight. Rode 75 minutes on burst(800 lumens) and the battery indicator was still only blue which meant I had atleast another 20 minutes at 800 lumens. It throws a wide enough beam to light the whole trail although the MagiShine may throw a slightly wider beam. Comparing the 2 lights the Cygolite seems a bit brighter than the MagicShine (claimed 900 lumens IMO is more like 700-750ish). Helmet mount is very easy to set up and felt very sturdy. The light was barely noticeable on my helmet weight-wise. 800 lumens for $117 shipped seemed like a good deal to me. Anyway if you're looking for a self contained light at a good dollar/lumen ratio check out the Expilions.

Attachments

• photo (11).jpg
    photo (11).jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 43
  • photo (10).jpg
    photo (10).jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 38
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Good stuff Mike. Thanks for the review.

Self contained makes sense for the helmet. I like it.

Thanks for the write up. Looks like it would make for a perfect backup light for longer night rides as well. :)

Self contained makes sense for all lights unless you need crazy long burn times. I had looked as this light and went with the L&M Urban 700 instead.

If you make long rides (2-3 hours) in winter then external batteries are more preferable because you can keep them in pocket otherwise their capacity will be reduced to 50-60% of nominal.

Also Li-on batteries degrades in 2 years significantly and I am not sure if you will find a replacement.

You can buy a spare battery for this light for I think $29. Most of my nite rides are under 2 hours but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2nd battery.

Yeah, some of these new models have replaceable batteries. That's a must. This thing is USB rechargeable, right?

Yeah, some of these new models have replaceable batteries. That's a must. This thing is USB rechargeable, right?

yeah USB chargable, like I said this is my second Expilion. I've had the 350 for 2 years. Great quality. I've probably used the 350 more as a handheld flashlight than on rides

If you make long rides (2-3 hours) in winter then external batteries are more preferable because you can keep them in pocket otherwise their capacity will be reduced to 50-60% of nominal.

Also Li-on batteries degrades in 2 years significantly and I am not sure if you will find a replacement.

I know this is the case, but since I ride in the AM, unless I start riding at 4am, I don't need more than 2 hours as it gets light. This is also why a replaceable battery doesn't matter much to me, I have two urbans now, so you jut carry a second one if needed.

Also, the battery and lights are becoming so cheap that in 2 years it is worth the upgrade to the newer model. I ride enough that $150 every two years is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom