Cyclocross Skills 101

kush

I'm doing my first race on Sunday at Mercer, and I've never been on a crossbike before. Read most of the things here and around the intraweb. Need more advice though.

Can you share tips on race strategy and technique.

I'm listing the things that seem different from XC racing, or important from what I've read. There are also probably a ton of other things to know.

Race starts and positioning strategy
Carrying the bike - seen top tube, and shoulder.
Mounts and dismounts - leaping on the saddle seems a bit advanced ...
Running up things and over things. seen some carry, some push
Hopping over things. Bunny hop?
Cornering - how different from XC
Drafting (if applicable)
Hand position - hoods, drops, in your pockets, or top bars

I will be doing a pre-ride tomorrow afternoon, so any suggestions priority areas to practice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance everyone

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Race starts and positioning strategy

-Go as hard as you possibly can from the gun, try not to get passed, don't crash or break your bike. Cross is pretty simple;)

Carrying the bike - seen top tube, and shoulder.
Mounts and dismounts - leaping on the saddle seems a bit advanced ...
Running up things and over things. seen some carry, some push
Hopping over things.

-These are all part of the same thing. Your dismount should be the same pretty much no matter what your going into, same thing as your remount. What you do in the middle depends on what the obstacle is. Barriers you hold the bike by the top tube. For running you put your bike on your shoulder. You kinda just need to feel it out.

Bunny hop?

-Maybe if your Sven Nys:D As an example, I can bunny hop higher than my handlebars on my mountain bike, yet I'm lucky to get up curbs on the cross bike. It's VERY different. Either way, running is faster than hopping in the first place.

Cornering - how different from XC

-As a mountain bike rider you'll be set with the the turns as far as picking lines and whatnot, it may just take a few laps to get used to the difference in the tires.

Drafting (if applicable)

-Not too much. If your on a longer straight section you could tuck in behind someone, but you'll more than likely need that opening to pass.

Hand position - hoods, drops, in your pockets, or top bars

-I actually prefer to pick my butt while I race, but that usually doesn't work out so good so I stay on the hoods mostly. You want to be near the brakes and shifters the whole race to be ready for whatever may happen.

-Jim.

kush

thanks guys, really helpful.

is there anything that is considered to be taboo or a no-no. like newb-douchery of sorts? i'm probably gonna do it anyways, but with self-awareness its that much more rewarding ;)

Top Bottom