cyclocross bike or road bike or neither or both?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
hey all - .

i have been on the fence about picking up a road bike for a while now... and i think i am slowly coming to the realization that i NEED one now :D

i guess what i dont know is what kind of ride i should look into. i think i would mainly be using it to get out when its wet or when i don't have enough time to get out for mtn bike ride... i like speed and comfort, but i value speed over comfort (because i am slow as hell, and need as much help as i can get).

after looking around and seeing that there are at least a million options in the road bike market, i didnt know whether i should go with something like a sequoia to just cruise, a fast racey type machine to speed along, or a cyclocross bike like the surly crosscheck, in case i feel the need to hop a pot hole and/or commute.

but is a cyclocross ride not good for just road use (is it overkill, too heavy)? a sequoia too slow/heavy in case i get the urge to ride my first TT for fun? should i just not get one, and throw slicks on a beater mtb bike? or should i screw it all together because i dont want to get caught up in this rude world of road biking ;) and just save up and eventually pick up that 29er lenz behemoth i have been drooling over?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i got a road bike in october and it has really opened up my riding options as far as getting an hour ride in, I even ride at lunch. My fitness level has gone way up and now I can ride the mtb like I want too, as far has being in shape goes...

a cross bike can be ridden on the road with a different set of tires or wheel, while you get ride the treaded tires on the road, you will be much happier (and faster) with road tires. If you do go this routes, I have an extra set of wheels....

I got a Giant OCR1 (AL frame, carbon fork legs) and it feels really good. And don't worry, I hop potholes all the time, you don't need a crossbike to do that...

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Get the right tool for the job.

I was in the same situation a few months ago and am VERY happy I went with a road bike instead of a cross bike. The cross bike seemed the perfect compromise for a mountain bike guy, but in the end I'm not realistically going to do any cross races any time soon, and the cross bike is WAY slower on the road. I do some road rides with buddies every week or two now and it would be difficult to keep up on a cross bike.

Not So Fast

Get the Road

I think the road bike is the way to go also. Sooner or later your're gonna want to group ride. The cross will just annoy your friends for slowing them down. Then they'll forget :p to invite you on the group rides.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
eggshellant.

thanks for the words - sounds like a straight up road bike is the way to go.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
yes, get the ROADIE!!

I was very lucky to get one for $20 :p not too long ago, and I am so glad I kept it. I had thought of selling it and change it for Cyclocross or road singlespeed or keeping the money.

that is all I have been riding for the last month due to lack of time to hit the trails.....and I am actually enjoying it :eek:

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
When you cross over to the other side, the roadie bug bites deep and it bites hard. That adrenaline rush you get on the road... nothing like it. YEE HAA!!!!

Oh, and the trees don't get in the way so often....

TonyC

hey all - .

cyclocross bike like the surly crosscheck, in case i feel the need to hop a pot hole and/or commute.

but is a cyclocross ride not good for just road use (is it overkill, too heavy)?

I had a Crosscheck Cyclocross with wide moustache bars and it was indeed a great ride. Great for light trail use, hopping off curbs, and bike paths. It has lots of build options like being geared, singlespeed, rack eyelets to be a tourer, road brakes, or V-brakes, wider tires, accepts 120or135mm hubs. It wasn't that heavy and it was a smooth ride. It's plenty fast if used with skinny tires.

For strictly road I would definitely get a Road bike for a light fast ride. Especially if you plan on buying a lime green shirt. ;)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
but is a cyclocross ride not good for just road use (is it overkill, too heavy)?

Get a 'cross bike!! Extra weight? Pa-shah I say. My CX and road bike weigh the same, almost 17lbs flat each...Not to mention how much fun it is to race 'cross:D

-Jim.

ArmyOfNone

I say give some serious thought into racing cross! Its freaking awesome!

If you say yes, go with the cross bike. You can pick up a cheap wheelset and swap them out come race day or just change the tires.

The geometry between the road bike and a cross bike is not so different that you will loose anything on the road. Like Jim said, I was riding with him when he was on the road on in CX rig. He still was faster.

Giant has a few affordable options.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
not that i have the time for it, nor am i in nearly enough shape for it, but where/when are cross races?

is the specialized tricross pricey?

CrossAddict

Cross all the way !!!

Jim is right! (again) my van dessel G&T weighs the same or lighter than my road bike. Although the top end gearing is not meant for road use. I would say if you want to seriously go fast you need a road bike. If you just want something to ride by yourself on the road and might race cross then Go Cyclocross all the way. Watch out the cross bug bites the hardest. No one will dispute that. Cross is simply the best and the worst of times spent on a bike.:D

-rf

EABODS

Jim is right! (again) my van dessel G&T weighs the same or lighter than my road bike. Although the top end gearing is not meant for road use. I would say if you want to seriously go fast you need a road bike. If you just want something to ride by yourself on the road and might race cross then Go Cyclocross all the way. Watch out the cross bug bites the hardest. No one will dispute that. Cross is simply the best and the worst of times spent on a bike.:D

-rf

Cross-Addict:

You are really not that good at Cross so shut up. I will eventually move up from the C class and catch ou anyway; you cannot win forever.

-EABODS BB LWD in the MF H CS

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Cross-Addict:

You are really not that good at Cross so shut up. I will eventually move up from the C class and catch ou anyway; you cannot win forever.

Roger, this guy seriously has a crush on you I think, it's kinda cute...Why don't both of you move into the A's so I can play too:D

-Jim.

CrossAddict

Cross-Addict:

Check the score: :)

Van Dessel Hole Shot CX Master 35+ Skylands Cycling 6
Westwood Velo Cross Masters 35+ Skylands Cycling 2
Cross @ Craigmeur I Masters 35+ Skylands Cycling 1
Cross @ Craigmeur II Masters 35+ Skylands Cycling 2
Augusta Cross Week One, NJCC #5 Masters 35+ 2
Beacon Cyclocross MAC Series #3 Elite Masters 35+ 13
HPCX MAC Series #4 Elite Masters 35+ Skylands Cycling 15
Augusta Cross Week Three Cat 1,2,3 Skylands Cycling 3
NJ State Championships Masters 35+ Skylands Cycling 4th/3rd NJ

Holiday Cross Masters 35+ Skylands Cycling 2nd

VS........

EABODS

Augusta Cross Week One, NJCC #5 C-class 10th

Keep up the good work. My guess is that I'll race 35+ then race the A's (w/jim v) this year and we can have some fun. xoxo or cxcx

peace, dear sweet brother knomski

-r to the f

EABODS

Check the score: :)

Van Dessel Hole Shot CX Master 35+ Skylands Cycling 6
Westwood Velo Cross Masters 35+ Skylands Cycling 2
Cross @ Craigmeur I Masters 35+ Skylands Cycling 1
Cross @ Craigmeur II Masters 35+ Skylands Cycling 2
Augusta Cross Week One, NJCC #5 Masters 35+ 2
Beacon Cyclocross MAC Series #3 Elite Masters 35+ 13
HPCX MAC Series #4 Elite Masters 35+ Skylands Cycling 15
Augusta Cross Week Three Cat 1,2,3 Skylands Cycling 3
NJ State Championships Masters 35+ Skylands Cycling 4th/3rd NJ

Holiday Cross Masters 35+ Skylands Cycling 2nd

VS........

EABODS

Augusta Cross Week One, NJCC #5 C-class 10th

Keep up the good work. My guess is that I'll race 35+ then race the A's (w/jim v) this year and we can have some fun. xoxo or cxcx

peace, dear sweet brother knomski

-r to the f

You forgot 16th at Cross @ Craigmeur (it might have been 15th).....

Top Bottom