Cyclist fatally shoots teen during robbery attempt

bobe kryant

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46143485/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/#.TyMArfkrySq

A 65-year-old man who was knocked off his bicycle by three teenagers on a Pennsylvania trail shot two of them, killing one, police said according to reports.

The Reading Eagle newspaper said the wounded teen, 16, was taken to hospital and the third, age 15, was taken in for questioning and was later sent to a youth center.
The paper said the mother of the slain boy, 16, asked officials not to release his name until she had been able to tell other members of the family what happened.
The incident happened on the Thun Trail near a bridge over the Schuylkill River, between Reading and West Reading around noon Wednesday. According to WGAL.com, police said the boys knocked the man off his bicycle in an apparent robbery attempt.

"There was one juvenile who was shot and is deceased [and] another juvenile who was shot and is in surgery," Police Chief Jed Habecker said, according to a report by the WFMZ-TV station.
According to police, the 65-year-old was riding his bicycle when the teens knocked him to the ground, the station said.
Police said two teens then assaulted the man, who drew his gun and shot them.
The man was released by police after they consulted with District Attorney John Adams late Wednesday, WFMZ reported.

I don't know anybody that carries while they ride, but now that I think about it the idea makes sense. You're in the woods, miles away from civilization. Anything can happen.

Am I paranoid?

ChrisRU

Wow thats pretty crazy.

There is a long thread, I think its in the commuting forum on MTBR, about carrying weapons while riding. Its an interesting read to say the least.

JerseyPete

First off, getting a CCW in NJ is not very easy.
Second, you can carry other things with you that would better serve you for protection than a gun, in the woods. A gun is heavy and pepper spray is much lighter and can be used on feral dogs (or loose aggressive ones).
Third, the guy in the article was out numbered, being assaulted and probably feared for his life. In PA you can carry a lot easier than NJ.

In today's society, you are not paranoid. Just my opinion.

wonderturtle

guy was knocked off his bike and was being assaulted?

sounds like self defense to me

Last edited:

Triple-B

Damn now the lil bastards are jumping people on trails. I never leave the house without my back-up protection tool. People when ur going into the woods on a bike ride,hike, or whatever, bring a knife & matches/lighter ALWAYS.

MikeP

the only time I ever thought about carry a weapon was some of our late rides at Wiss but figured my blackburn pump would be fine against anything smaller than a bat.

Ibis97

Happy Now?
"Am I paranoid?"

Yes and No.

yes anything can happen and there are freakin nut jobs are everywhere but I refuse to be worried someone is going to try and kill me in the woods. If anything pack some mace/pepper spray or something. A gun? no way.

MST.ESQ

Tip from someone who rides near Philly and in NYC on a regular basis: Don't ever pass within "jumpin" range of anyone remotely suspicious. Always keep one eye on the people around you. I should take pictures of some of the individuals and groups of people who I can assure you are just out to enjoy the fresh air of Central Park at 10pm.:rolleyes:

At my age I think I am still strong enough to 'sprint' away from most trouble. However, I can see why a 65 year old man would feel the need to carry the extra weight.

First off, getting a CCW in NJ is not very easy...

Translation, impossible unless you are a retired copy or know the issuing Judge. There are a number of appeals in NJ that scream "wow, that is a clear-cut need if I ever heard one" that are denied based on the logic that - if they did not kill you in the first attempt and you are still alive today, perhaps there is no longer a threat.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A few years ago, I came across a thread on nycMTB where a guy on the forum was just riding along and he got a 2x4 in the face. He was knocked out and the bike was stolen from him. It kinda hit home cause it's not just some people you don't know from a random news article.

Not that a gun would have helped in this situation, but I gotta agree with MST.ESQ .. you gotta keep your eye out for anything suspicious.

loggerhead

Good for the guy. I used to row in that area inphilly. Some shady characters to say the least. Prolly just some bored kids who had it coming. F'em :getsome:

Turbotrix

A few years ago, I came across a thread on nycMTB where a guy on the forum was just riding along and he got a 2x4 in the face. He was knocked out and the bike was stolen from him. It kinda hit home cause it's not just some people you don't know from a random news article.

Not that a gun would have helped in this situation, but I gotta agree with MST.ESQ .. you gotta keep your eye out for anything suspicious.

A similar thing happened to my girlfriend a few years ago while she was riding in Brooklyn. Someone swung a plastic bag with 6-pack in it. It hit her in the head and knocked her off the bike. By the time she figured out what had happened, the bike was gone.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
No reason for me to carry a weapon. My hands are lethal weapons registered with the FBI.

liong71er

personally,..if muger want my bike.i will comply.
but,if they want my life.they have to fight me to the end.without using gun off course.:D
using gun only when thing go out control.of life threatning situation.
do not become simply an happy trigger.

a stupid teen lose his life..let it be a lesson for other stupid kids to learn.

such a pitty...for both party.

Damn now the lil bastards are jumping people on trails. I never leave the house without my back-up protection tool. People when ur going into the woods on a bike ride,hike, or whatever, bring a knife & matches/lighter ALWAYS.

But don't bring a knife to a gun fight !

HeavyMetaLance

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never been in a situation on my bike (woods, road, or otherwise) where I wished that I had a gun.
Even the times when I saw bears.

Top Bottom