CX Practices

BiknBen

As far as I know you can ride a MT bike in a CX race. I know I've seen it up in Augusta.

You can ride a MTB as long as it does NOT have bar ends. Bar end often get hooked on the drop bars of CX bikes and therefore are not allowed.

A light/fast rigid or hardtail MTB will be fine. Leave the FS rigs at home though. A 29er makes sense. It's the same diameter as the CX bikes. The upright MTB position and extra bike weight will put you at a disadvantage but you will survive.

Last edited:

BiknBen

I ain't a clever man, what's the pull to this style of riding?

CX incorporates the best or worst of both road and MTB CX racing. It really depends on your point of view. To say it is difficult to explain is an understatement.

Roadies like it because it is like a road criterium race (short race with many laps) but you can't just sit in the draft and expect to sprint for the win at the end. CX is more demanding and requires you to work to remain in contention. Superior fitness is key. Since roadies are often "legs and lungs", they have a fitness advantage.

MTBers love the technical skills that are required. Bike handling skills are required. The MTBers can make up for lesser fitness with superior off-road skills. A good course will challenge even the best bike handlers. Advantage MTBer.

The courses are typically short, compact and in open areas. Spectators can often see the riders over the entire course. It has a circus like atmosphere with crowds yelling and ringing cowbells endlessly.

Races typically start like a MTB or MotoX race. The guys that get the "hole shot" or first to a barrier section have a big advantage. From there, it is all about how long you can go at your maximum. The pack will break up into small groups over time. Road tactics come into play as you draft off others and try to limit your loses or bridge up to groups ahead of you.

Technical sections are scattered throughout the course that require you to dismount and run short portions. These consist of "Run-Ups" (steep unridable sections) or barriers (16"-18" high walls placed closely together). Dismounting and mounting skills are key and can significantly impact the race. You'd be shocked at how fast these guys can get off and on a bike while running a full sprint.

The last thing to note is that these races are often done in foul weather. CXers take pride in riding in the worst conditions. It adds to the draw of the spectators which invigorates the racers. Real exciting stuff.

For the record, I've raced Road and MTB for years. I've done one CX race and watched a few more. If you watch one, you will be drawn to race one. Once you're racing you will ask yourself why the Fock you are doing this to yourself. Afterwards, you will be asking when the next one is. They are very unique events and the energy is invigorating.

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

Gah! I cannot wait! The pain ooo the pain!

Well it seems that everyone has painted a pretty good picture of what fun CX can be.

Ill try to get some more info. on what these RU practices are about.

Jess, what locations are you speaking off?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
CX incorporates the best or worst of both road and MTB CX racing. It really depends on your point of view. To say it is difficult to explain is an understatement.

Roadies like it because it is like a road criterium race (short race with many laps) but you can't just sit in the draft and expect to sprint for the win at the end. CX is more demanding and requires you to work to remain in contention. Superior fitness is key. Since roadies are often "legs and lungs", they have a fitness advantage.

MTBers love the technical skills that are required. Bike handling skills are required. The MTBers can make up for lesser fitness with superior off-road skills. A good course will challenge even the best bike handlers. Advantage MTBer.

The courses are typically short, compact and in open areas. Spectators can often see the riders over the entire course. It has a circus like atmosphere with crowds yelling and ringing cowbells endlessly.

Races typically start like a MTB or MotoX race. The guys that get the "hole shot" or first to a barrier section have a big advantage. From there, it is all about how long you can go at your maximum. The pack will break up into small groups over time. Road tactics come into play as you draft off others and try to limit your loses or bridge up to groups ahead of you.

Technical sections are scattered throughout the course that require you to dismount and run short portions. These consist of "Run-Ups" (steep unridable sections) or barriers (16"-18" high walls placed closely together). Dismounting and mounting skills are key and can significantly impact the race. You'd be shocked at how fast these guys can get off and on a bike while running a full sprint.

The last thing to note is that these races are often done in foul weather. CXers take pride in riding in the worst conditions. It adds to the draw of the spectators which invigorates the racers. Real exciting stuff.

For the record, I've raced Road and MTB for years. I've done one CX race and watched a few more. If you watch one, you will be drawn to race one. Once you're racing you will ask yourself why the Fock you are doing this to yourself. Afterwards, you will be asking when the next one is. They are very unique events and the energy is invigorating.
Right on the money, Ben. Superb summary.

D

DANSPANK

Thanks for the feedback. I saw one on the telly a few months back. It looked strange but somewhat fun!

ArmyOfNone

A Hoot For Sure

ChrisG, ChuckE and I attended this two wheeled madness this passed Wednesday. Good times...if you enjoy hammering in circles for 25 minutes at a clip.

I am not quite sure how long the loop was. The loop circled the livingston campus gym. It really was quite interesting. I mean we are riding road bikes off road! Definitely something to get used to. There was one "gentlemans" run up (not quite sure where that title comes from) and one barrier section that had two barriers.

I didnt have to much of a problem getting on and off the bike. Well that was until i tried to implement some of the techniques featured on the vids posted up. I was left hanging onto the bike for dear life...twice. I did it my own way and seemed to be just fine.

There are some STRONG dudes here riding. Not sure of all the names but they could drop the hammer for sure. I was way off the back in my own little race.

You could see the difference in bike handling between the roadies and mtbers. Many were on the brakes is sections we hit at full throttle. The bike responds to your slightest input. Pretty damn cool.

It was a blast (as always) hanging w/ Chuck and Chris. I feel like a tick sucking up all of their knowledge. Its super!

If you are in the area and have the urge to pedal till your lungs and legs cant take it any longer c'mon over!

Data: I thought i did 3 laps but I apparently I did four. I guess the hurt affects how well you can count.
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3943802

ArmyOfNone

CX Clinic/Rutgers Cylcing Info

cryer.gif

From the Rutgers Cycling board:
Hi All,
In addition to the rocking training series we have going on at Rutgers on
Wednesday nights (http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=5287),
NJ fast guy Eric Schlauch and the fine folks at Van Dessel will be offering a cyclocross skills clinic at the Central NJ Cyclocross practices on Wednesday, September 19th at 5:30 PM. Registration will open at 5:00 PM
-Mark

A few other things...I think they are going to hold ya to the $30. We are all paid and registered. If you are thinking about racing this season its worth it for sure.

If you would like to have a direct link to Rutgers Cycling info you can join their yahoo group: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/rutgerscycling/ and for more check out www.rutgerscycling.com

That is all...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Armyofnone...I ride for the HP Hermes and we do a lot of training/racing with the Rutgers guys, I'm sure you've seen us at the CX practices as well...Listen to whatever AngryMark says, he's a CX guru!! They are fun, although I always have to work and can't make most of them!! Either way, I'll see you guys out at the races!!

-Jim.

ArmyOfNone

Armyofnone...I ride for the HP Hermes and we do a lot of training/racing with the Rutgers guys, I'm sure you've seen us at the CX practices as well...Listen to whatever AngryMark says, he's a CX guru!! They are fun, although I always have to work and can't make most of them!! Either way, I'll see you guys out at the races!!

-Jim.

O yea mark is awesome! He took a lot of time w/ me to make sure i was getting things right. I am looking forward to weds to show off my skillz

Top Bottom