CX instructional Vids...

BiknBen

I had a conversation with some MTBNJers a couple weeks ago about the upcoming CX races. While my form is far from polished, I was the only one in the group who had at least participated in a CX race.

I found a series of CX instructional videos that I highly recommend.
http://www.velonews.com/vntv

For anyone thinking of giving CX a try, these skills make a world of difference on race day.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Question.

Will I be shunned and beaten if I try to do a CX race on my mountain bike?

As a side note I was behind a woman at Granogue that had obviously raced plenty of CX. There were some very large log crossings where she could unclip, jump over it with the bike, and clip in as fast as I could just ride over it. It was impressive.

BiknBen

Will I be shunned and beaten if I try to do a CX race on my mountain bike?

MT bikes are often used in the lower ranks. The promoters would rather have you race on a MTB than not race at all. It's similar to showing up at the beginner MTB race with a DH rig. You know you will be at a disadvantage but just want to try.

Bar ends are not allowed because they often get hooked in the road bars of other riders.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
MT bikes are often used in the lower ranks. The promoters would rather have you race on a MTB than not race at all. It's similar to showing up at the beginner MTB race with a DH rig. You know you will be at a disadvantage but just want to try.

Bar ends are not allowed because they often get hooked in the road bars of other riders.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not a bar ends guy myself. Maybe we'll try to keep tabs on the CX races this fall and post them up here on the site. I agree with the sentiment about just showing up at all. But you know how goofy race rules can be. If they happen to be run by the same Soup Nazis that run road crits (no sleeveless jerseys for instance) you just never know. While I'm sure it's a disadvantage I'd wager it's great training.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
With all the CX rage these days I watched these last night and this morning. 4 short videos - good stuff.

For anyone interested, click Ben's link above then click the "How To" button on the top. The 4 CX videos will be right there.

ytc100

I saw two guys on what appeared to be road bikes on the trails at KVSP Monday. I thought they were very lost but maybe they were these poor misguided CX riders.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't understand why you would bother riding on actual XC trails when these races are always set up in a field. Anyone?

J-Dro

I saw a guy on a CX bike at the Sourlands once. Talk about insanity. He was a bit of an oddball though. Like when I gave the usual "hey how's it going?" as we passed, he didn't reply or even make eye contact. Any yes, he was walking (actually, i mean running) the trail at the time, or should I say, rock garden.

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

can anyone make out what pedals he is riding? IDK why it was such a secret that he did not want to share w/ everyone. :getsome: :getsome:

Man i dont wanna run up no hills like that! AH!!

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I don't understand why you would bother riding on actual XC trails when these races are always set up in a field. Anyone?
If you can negotiate singletrack at speed on a CX bike, imagine the confidence level you'll bring to a CX course.

Not all CX courses are just grassy fields with some barriers and run-ups. There can be singletrack and off-camber stuff. Not to mention plenty of mud and sand pits.

And, it's a hoot.:D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
[Resigned Sigh]...OK...what's it going to cost for a CX bike? Nothing top of the line just, you know, good enough. Not that I'm going to buy, but, you know, knowledge is power and all that.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
can't have too many bikes...

[Resigned Sigh]...OK...what's it going to cost for a CX bike? Nothing top of the line just, you know, good enough. Not that I'm going to buy, but, you know, knowledge is power and all that.
Check out LeMond, Fuji, Redline, Bianchi, Kona, for starters. All produce very solid 'cross bikes.

Not sure of prices off the top of my head, but I'd say a little over a grand to fifteen hundred at retail.

There's always FleaBay as well. Lots of good stuff always passing through there. I can personally attest to that.

walter

Fourth Party
Last saturday as I was coming down into the Newmans lane lot at Chimney Rock, there were 2 guys that were testing Specialized CX bikes from the demo trailer.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
since norm and i were just talking about this i'll post the question:

what are the real differences in geometery between a road bike and a CX bike? could i say, get a good CX bike and do double duty on the road with it. ok, poor analogy since i ride a converted mtb on the road but you get my point.

BiknBen

what are the real differences in geometry between a road bike and a CX bike? could i say, get a good CX bike and do double duty on the road with it.

You could certain do double-duty with a CX bike. CX frame geometry is a combination of road and touring geometries. Road geometry is intended more for quick handling and aerodynamics. Touring geometry is slightly more upright and provides more stable handling. CX combines the two. In addition, the BB is sometimes higher on a CX frame for greater ground clearance. The tire clearance is much wider also for tire and mud clearance.

Many people suggesting getting a CX frame one size smaller than your road bike. This will allow for greater ground clearance with regard to the top tube (you'll be less likely to jam your nads). That is not gospel though.

For the record, I own a Surly Cross-Check that I have built up as a beater, touring, rain bike. It is a CX frame that I ride on the road. The bike is heavy with fenders and whatnot but the design and geometry is fine for road riding.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ok, i kinda figured that it would be a fine transition, especially considering i'm riding a 1994 mtb on the road. hmm...this is something for consideration for sure. thanks ben.

Top Bottom