CX/gravel grinder for adventures.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
...Headshock CD's and those Bianchi dual suspension Roubaix cluster F's.

I'd want something steel if 100-150 mile jaunts we're going to be the thing. But that's just me. @Dominos picks her 50 lbs Mr. Pink over her 14 lbs superbike most of the time these days.

blacksun

The purple ano hollowgrams are game changers for sure. But what about the slate impressed you so much? Clearly there is hype about this bike but I still don't get it yet. I want to but I'm not quite sure yet

I was also pretty skeptical when I saw the slate, Cannondale always has questionable designs. But there was no question it put a smile on my face when I rode it. And thats really what matters to me not the hard numbers. Its not everyones cup of tea, its really agile due to the short chain stay and 650 wheel. There is just enough travel and tire to soak up the bumps on the road. Its super playful and the shock allows you to pop off any bump in the road. It is pricey but its to be expected when there is a lot of "hype"
But ride one and decide for yourself. And no i don't dig the purple anodizing, i have my eye on the ultegra/matte grey one.

Johnny Utah

What about a Salsa Colossal? Seems like it is somewhat like a Mr. pink and I may be able to get a deal on one. Steel, enve fork.... Fart extractor in the seat....

Johnny Utah

I have time as this won't be till post tax return, and fat season is coming.

Then again, I think I file in three weeks or so.

jackx

Good to file ASAP especially if getting a refund. Also so you file before some scammer electronically submits for a huge refund using your social security No.

Mumonkan

in my experience the way youll know if a bike is good for 100+ mile rides, is to ride 100+ mile rides.

look for something with a regular road geo but with clearance for fatter tires, you want a frame with some give but not a bike that rides like a wet noodle. stay away from "racing" bikes, most are too stiff for long days, and have shit for clearance. i spent a lot of miles on 23mm tires and changing to 32mm was an extreme gamechanger. more cush means more comfy, more longer.

most important factor in sizing a road bike is the top tube or ETT length

other suggestions:
elephant NFE (27.5)
soma wolverine (frameset)

theyre both steel, disc, and have clearance for 2" tires, and you can screw on basically anything you can think of

bonus: look for an older 27" wheel steel bike with decent tubing, throw a 700 or better yet 27.5 wheelset on and you can get a fatter tire in there

all that being said, YMMV, since everybody is different. people do Paris-Brest-Paris on supersix evo's, friggin unicycles, and porteur city bikes

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
This isn't a new concept for Cannondale. Remember when they put a headshock on their CX bike? Suspension with a drop bar feels weird IMO.
I totally agree on all others I have ridden before this one. But they managed to maintain the rollout of a 700c tire by running 650x42. (This is the same reason that 650x3"feels the same as a 29er in the woods to me, Sam enroll out). This keeps the wheels feeling super normal and the lefty does allow a really low axle to crown with suspension. The bike is worth a spin and it really makes me wonder what else we will see in 650 x 40ish in the near term.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Trek Boone end of story. I own a domane and they share frame technology. I test road about 5 other brands and this hinged frame deaign ridea like a cadillac

The Kalmyk

Frame material on longer rides- traditionally steel is real. With tubeless tires, wide rims, compliant seat post and comfy saddle; aluminum is just as good. Even more so with 35c or larger tires.

Mumonkan

I see no tubeless offerings here. Tubes are for people who like flats.

the switchback hills are officially tubeless compatible, and people have had success running the others tubeless

Last edited:

Dean S

I see no tubeless offerings here. Tubes are for people who like flats.

Compared to race tires, high volume, low pressure tires get way less flats. My last pair of 650bx42 Hetre’s got exactly 1 flat after 6k miles when the rear was getting very thin. A lot of commuting miles over littered streets, though I ride pretty far left. I run them around 40psi. Sharp crap does not get pushed into the soft tire. Never a snake bite flat even on very rough stuff. Bonus is the tires lose air so slowly that I only air them up once every two weeks or so.
A Randonneur bike like the Elephant NFE, Boulder All-Road, Boxer, Lyonsport L’avecaise, Box Dog Pelican, Soma Randonneur built to integrate big fast tires / a front load/fenders/lights are very handy for all kinds of riding.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lots of good early feedback on the Slate. I don't see one in my future but certainly look interesting. Wonder if they'll make one with a rigid lefty? 650b with 40c+ tires for long format gravel has lots of fans.

I had my eye on the Salsa Colossal as a do everything bike. Sweet setup out of the box with Enve fork but the newer ones with thru axle front/rear interest me to make sharing wheels between cx bike and MTB possible. Not much buzz about the colossal but I guess that's true for a lot of Salsa rigs.

Seven Evergreen or similar would be my cost is no concern custom route. Ti, disc, clearance for days, comfort for days, fender mounts, the whole burrito.

Karate Monkey

Hey, you know, it seems like everyone is beating around the bush on this, but is speed really a worry with this bike? My daily rider equipped for whatever (fenders, bags, racks, locks, emergency kit, lights, [heavy] saddle, etc) comes in around 36 pounds. It's still not that hard to maintain 17-18 mph with chubby slicks. Trimming the fat (bags, rack, locks, spare lights, skinnier [28-32mm] tires, etc) can easily trim 7-8 pounds, but if I'm riding for kicks, what's an extra few minutes?

I live in flatlandia, so take my $0.02 with a grain of salt.

Johnny Utah

Hey, you know, it seems like everyone is beating around the bush on this, but is speed really a worry with this bike? My daily rider equipped for whatever (fenders, bags, racks, locks, emergency kit, lights, [heavy] saddle, etc) comes in around 36 pounds. It's still not that hard to maintain 17-18 mph with chubby slicks. Trimming the fat (bags, rack, locks, spare lights, skinnier [28-32mm] tires, etc) can easily trim 7-8 pounds, but if I'm riding for kicks, what's an extra few minutes?

I live in flatlandia, so take my $0.02 with a grain of salt.

I don't think weight is not a huge concern, I know it won't be a tour racer, but then again, I don't want to do this twice in 18 months.

Mumonkan

just make sure your wheels arent boat anchors and youll be fine. ive been doing just fine on 35lb pigsteel bikes going up bear mtn, and its the rotational weight that really saps your energy

the 650b wheels i have on my trek are lighter than any 700c wheelset ive ever tried and the difference is very noticeable. 1334g without the 38c tires which are 420g/ea

Last edited:

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think he just needs a friendly looking avatar like yours.

Top Bottom