Cutting the cord (this again!)

rlb

I have watched games, NFL redzone, sunday ticket and the world series with it. You can always find a working stream...however, it can take you some time....Like I plan on it taking me 5min of searching to get a working stream. depends on the sport you are looking for I guess. The quality also is not HD, its ok at best. I used it for the Eagles/skins game the other night which was NFLN only broadcast and I could only find one stream and the quality was just ok.

But this is just live sports...Any other TV program I have ever wanted to watch is on my Roku/computer somewhere

Yeah I realize sports only, thanks for the info.

qclabrat

I've been proposing this for some time, but my in-laws share our bill and my father in-law needs his soccer and local news. Too many big trees by me so none of the antennas I've tried pull enough local channels. I have one of those rebroadcasters from asia, I can get most sports, movies and shows in 100 languages in minute or two delay at time, however I usually listen to sports now on the radio and rarely watch, so even this doesn't get much use.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've pretty much stopped watching any form of TV and movies. The Mets I listen on the radio or at the bar.

It's not that impossible to do. You find other things to do which may or may not be "better" than watching TV.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've pretty much stopped watching any form of TV and movies. The Mets I listen on the radio or at the bar.

It's not that impossible to do. You find other things to do which may or may not be "better" than watching TV.
You forgot that you'll slum at someone else's house and drink there beer for Met games ;)

qclabrat

I listened to the Buckner incident on the radio, I also saw it in series replays a number of times, not beats the radio version.

rlb

So I've been going over my options. As it turns out, I'm getting a pretty good value compared to other cable company offerings. $145/month for TV+DVR (inc HBO + SHO), 50 mbps internet, phone (never used it). I checked Optimum, DirecTV, and Dish and after all promos expire I'd settle around the same price but without HBO/SHO.

If I ditch cable my price falls to ~$70 (internet + SlingTV) and that'll jump around a bit if I add HBO/SHO as needed when shows are airing. I'm going to call verizon and see if I can get it down to $100 or walk. I'm willing to pay the extra for the convenience factor/sports, but I'm also willing to walk away if needed. Stay tuned, I know you're all on the edge of your seats!

jnos

So I've been going over my options. As it turns out, I'm getting a pretty good value compared to other cable company offerings. $145/month for TV+DVR (inc HBO + SHO), 50 mbps internet, phone (never used it). I checked Optimum, DirecTV, and Dish and after all promos expire I'd settle around the same price but without HBO/SHO.

If I ditch cable my price falls to ~$70 (internet + SlingTV) and that'll jump around a bit if I add HBO/SHO as needed when shows are airing. I'm going to call verizon and see if I can get it down to $100 or walk. I'm willing to pay the extra for the convenience factor/sports, but I'm also willing to walk away if needed. Stay tuned, I know you're all on the edge of your seats!

For reference, I'm paying Comcast $55 (with taxes and everything) for 50mbps internet and basic cable (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, PBS) + HBO. Without basic cable and HBO, I would have saved $5. No HD box (another $10 per month) so I have to watch football in standard def. Everything else can be watched online or on apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick.

Robin

skimming through this...looking for input on how Sling TV is going/working out.

We really don't watch cable - except AMC shows. We love Netflix and looking to reduce our bill/ditch the cable TV. Thoughts?

gtluke

The Moped

We really don't watch cable - except AMC shows. We love Netflix and looking to reduce our bill/ditch the cable TV. Thoughts?

This is the thing I was telling you about. Same parent company as sling media, but this was there original product. http://www.slingbox.com/
You have to have someone you know that has cable. Friend/Family/David Carson. They have to get another cable box for you. I think it's $7 a month for another comcast/verzion box. The cable box plugs right into the sling box. You set up the box with a user/password and you're done. I've never actually seen my slingbox, I shipped it from amazon to my brother's house 4 years ago and he plugged it in for me.
Now anywhere in the world, you can watch that "tv" and change the channels with the virtual remote or through the app, however you are doing it.
Annoyingly, the phone app is $15 but the computer software is free. Works with roku, if you have the phone app.
It takes like 3 too many steps to watch TV, I'm almost positive they are somehow strongarmed into keeping it kinda annoying to use by the cable companies. Because they USED to sell a box (sling receiver) you would keep at your house that had a remote control and plugged into your tv and it would act as if you had a regular cable TV connection at your house. They stopped making that thing, and they now sell for like $500 on ebay because it's so damn convenient.
BUT, if it's like once in a while that you want to watch walking dead or a baseball game, it works great.
And you can watch ghosthunters at work.
i-bbXX93L-XL.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i run a slingbox off my basement directv dvr. got the ipad app. decent results.
I recently picked up a geniego (directv specific) which will forward anything being recorded (or previously recorded)
to the directv app. it an also convert and forward shows to the phone/ipad for offline viewing. if you know someone with
a DTV genie, and no geniego, this is a good alternative. no monthly fee, but uses their upstream internet channel.

i have an OTA HD antenna, if you have a tv with a tuner. You are welcome to test it out at your place to see if you get
any free HD - this is a good starting point for availability, but ya don't know until you try.... http://antennaweb.org/

rlb

SlingTV has a free 7 day trial so you can check it out. We watch through a Fire stick and when I installed the app/signed up through fire tv the trail was 14 days. The picture etc. is great, I didn't see any major difference between that and the FIOS box. Sling makes it easy to watch the last few episodes of a show that aired, but I didn't do a full compare of on demand episodes to see if there is any loss there. The navigation is a little clunky and not as intuitive as your typical cable box guide but you can quickly figure out what's going on. As a side note that may (or may not) be a product of the app on fire tv. From all of the comparisons I've read roku navigation is better than fire tv across the board. Not sure how what translates to this app (since I don't have a roku) but it's worth the mention. If you pay for 3 months they're offering a free roku stick or a discounted "full feature" roku or fire tv box. I was planning to get the roku stick and compare to fire tv then purchase a "full" box for the other tv.

I've yet to make a final decision, but verizon just noticed that I haven't been paying for my DVR for a while so the bill just went up another $15-20 a month.

Robin

thanks for the input. We have 3 Rokus in the house and love them. I looked into Hulu but the two shows we like (Walking Dead/Better Call Saul) aren't on there.

I think we'll try the free trial - and if it works out, we'll keep that and get rid of cable.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did it. Comcast not carrying YES network put me over the edge. PlayStation vue for 40 bucks a month has all the local networks live. Plus enough kids and cable channels.

Cable internet is 60 a month (after I buy my own modem) and PlayStation is 40, And I do Netflix.

Plus I have Amazon prime and Chromecast.

So 110 a month for way more media than I can consume. My cable bill was 210. I think it's a deal.

Patrick

Staff member
I did it. Comcast not carrying YES network put me over the edge. PlayStation vue for 40 bucks a month has all the local networks live. Plus enough kids and cable channels.

Cable internet is 60 a month (after I buy my own modem) and PlayStation is 40, And I do Netflix.

Plus I have Amazon prime and Chromecast.

So 110 a month for way more media than I can consume. My cable bill was 210. I think it's a deal.

what are you paying for internet ? and from whom? i have dtv + comcast internet (an 'flix & prime & chromecast & ...)
so finally looking at it.

the new rules for cable boxes are making this easier - the way they will pay for it is customizing commercials for the viewer...
in other words, each person gets their own portfolio of commercials. that should help them be more relevant.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
what are you paying for internet

60 to Comcast xfinity, for 25 down. Like 24.99 Mbps exactly. I may upgrade to the next tier for 72, but I'll see if I can get away with this for now.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think PlayStation vue is only on fire TV, Apple, and PlayStations. So, you'll need one of those platforms

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
what are you paying for internet ? and from whom? i have dtv + comcast internet (an 'flix & prime & chromecast & ...)
so finally looking at it.

the new rules for cable boxes are making this easier - the way they will pay for it is customizing commercials for the viewer...
in other words, each person gets their own portfolio of commercials. that should help them be more relevant.

He has a Verizon cell tower in his living room.

Patrick

Staff member
I think PlayStation vue is only on fire TV, Apple, and PlayStations. So, you'll need one of those platforms

got an apple tv2. but i think the idea of unbundled packages are coming to more platforms - maybe even device based with
casting - so you bring your service with you wherever you go.

a tv stream takes about 3.5mb/s for full hd (not 4k) - its more about transient problems for live tv. keep us updated.

Top Bottom