Cutting the cord (this again!)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
BTW, I might be using the wrong term "stutter". When it happens, the load bar pops up and the frame freezes for a few seconds.

stutter or buffering. all good.

it is probably recovering from an unexpected protocol error forcing it to restart.
would be interesting to see if it happens to everyone at the same time.

Gnick

Just an update on Hulu Live TV: Upgraded to 100 mbps and confirmed that LAN is gigabit, but service still stutters. Did a little more research online and it appears that others are experiencing the same issue regardless of network speed.

Switching to Vue now. Have to make sure I can watch the Yankee game w/o issue.
i have this issue occasionally - how is vue?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have no intellectual tech experience but have no issues with most streaming. I went psvue because it hit PP and reviews. I also have regular Hulu not TV with no problems. The only channel I have problems with is red bull TV. Which shuts down and restarts my roku which puts me back to the beginning of my cast. WCDH has become very frustrating to follow.

qclabrat

I watched about 2 hrs of football this season and Verizon bill just grew again. Proposed to SO to only buy internet as most of her viewing nowadays is on Netflix. We didn't have good antennae access to local stations when I moved in. Is there a website which can predict your air signals based on your GPS location? Also anyone have an antennae recommendation. I'd rather not put one of those chimney protruding versions, but may not have any choice. Other options for local channels?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
check out what locals you can get with PSVue. they have been adding them all over the place, i was able to disconnect my antenna i bought because i now have all the locals. i cant imagine the tri-state area not having them all.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I watched about 2 hrs of football this season and Verizon bill just grew again. Proposed to SO to only buy internet as most of her viewing nowadays is on Netflix. We didn't have good antennae access to local stations when I moved in. Is there a website which can predict your air signals based on your GPS location? Also anyone have an antennae recommendation. I'd rather not put one of those chimney protruding versions, but may not have any choice. Other options for local channels?
https://nocable.org/availability-report/4w3q-warren-nj-07059

I used an amplified indoor antennae when we were renting in Chatham during renovation. Used it for a few weeks while cable was being transferred over. Worked fine. Bought it at Best Buy, used for 2-3 weeks, and returned it.

gtluke

The Moped
I have to say I'm really happy with my synology + shield TV + plex setup. It's not for newbs though. Well plex is, but obtaining content is harder than posting to facebook.
While I was at a campsite in California I wanted to watch the Holly Holm fight. I initiated a torrent from my phone in California that started the torrent downloading to my home synology NAS. When it was done (minutes), I was able to have the shield TV in my bedroom transcode the video file to a more compressed/portable streaming file on the fly to my phone over cellular. (this all happens seamlessly through the beautiful app) This all happens over a private VPN to keep it untraceable. Does the same at home too, so no matter what I download I can play it on whatever player, even if that player like my old ass nexus player or a chromecast which has limited ability to deal with huge files, can be converted on the fly by the shield.
The shield has a hard drive, you can actually do it all without the synology NAS but I haven't tried that, not sure how to gain content using only the shield but it's an android TV so I'm sure there is a way.
I also use the shield as an emulator. It'll play any arcade game, NES, and gamecube, and a couple low end N64 games but that's about the limit. The Nintendo Switch is actually the IDENTICAL hardware as the shield, hopefully one day someone figures out how to port that over.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I have to say I'm really happy with my synology + shield TV + plex setup. It's not for newbs though. Well plex is, but obtaining content is harder than posting to facebook.
While I was at a campsite in California I wanted to watch the Holly Holm fight. I initiated a torrent from my phone in California that started the torrent downloading to my home synology NAS. When it was done (minutes), I was able to have the shield TV in my bedroom transcode the video file to a more compressed/portable streaming file on the fly to my phone over cellular. (this all happens seamlessly through the beautiful app) This all happens over a private VPN to keep it untraceable. Does the same at home too, so no matter what I download I can play it on whatever player, even if that player like my old ass nexus player or a chromecast which has limited ability to deal with huge files, can be converted on the fly by the shield.
The shield has a hard drive, you can actually do it all without the synology NAS but I haven't tried that, not sure how to gain content using only the shield but it's an android TV so I'm sure there is a way.
I also use the shield as an emulator. It'll play any arcade game, NES, and gamecube, and a couple low end N64 games but that's about the limit. The Nintendo Switch is actually the IDENTICAL hardware as the shield, hopefully one day someone figures out how to port that over.

also note that watching that fight this way was similar to a popular judas priest song.

---

antennaweb used to work - it looks like it will attack your computer now.
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps - generic

i have a directional hd bar antenna you can try if you have an OTA tuner. See what you get.

qclabrat

https://nocable.org/availability-report/4w3q-warren-nj-07059

I used an amplified indoor antennae when we were renting in Chatham during renovation. Used it for a few weeks while cable was being transferred over. Worked fine. Bought it at Best Buy, used for 2-3 weeks, and returned it.
ahh, that makes a lot of sense, as my tree action is to the east.
Unfortunately Sandy only took out half the forest in that direction. I have a powered antennae and will try it off the back of the house (facing east)

qclabrat

also note that watching that fight this way was similar to a popular judas priest song.

IMO Holly held held her own, I saw the replays, not live
Cyborg is a killer, she's the closest I've seen on how competitors react to her since young Tyson days
not really a MMA fan, but Cyborg is nuts

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Also take a quick peek at mohu.com
They do antennas and can tell you which you'd need and what you can expect.

Mine work well here near the city, ymmv.

rlb

We didn't have good antennae access to local stations when I moved in

Are you watching enough local channels to make this a deal breaker? I'd say go for the cut and see what you can get for locals via the alt services (Vue, sling, etc.). If anything is missing give it a month before you spend any more $$ to get it back. You'll probably never bother.

Getting a digital antenna was on my list of things as part of cutting the cord. Still there, probably not going to happen. The only viable use for it at this point would be for emergency situations, which as I type this out I'm seeing to need to reconsider. But otherwise, it's an easy transition.

qclabrat

Are you watching enough local channels to make this a deal breaker? I'd say go for the cut and see what you can get for locals via the alt services (Vue, sling, etc.). If anything is missing give it a month before you spend any more $$ to get it back. You'll probably never bother.

Getting a digital antenna was on my list of things as part of cutting the cord. Still there, probably not going to happen. The only viable use for it at this point would be for emergency situations, which as I type this out I'm seeing to need to reconsider. But otherwise, it's an easy transition.
I like to catch the local news outlets from NYC, but more so for the wife who's usually home. She likes the morning shows, not Kelly and who or Ellen, but the 7am news shows.

She got a FIOS internet only quote for $80 a month. I don't follow the utilities expenses, what are most paying for internet only and with which carrier? Not sure what speed, but I'm guessing the mid to higher speeds.

qclabrat

check out what locals you can get with PSVue. they have been adding them all over the place, i was able to disconnect my antenna i bought because i now have all the locals. i cant imagine the tri-state area not having them all.
Complete novice at this, isn't Vue about $40 a month? With the $80 internet it's close to what I'm paying already. $140 with 3 boxes.

rlb

Complete novice at this, isn't Vue about $40 a month? With the $80 internet it's close to what I'm paying already. $140 with 3 boxes.

Is that $140 with the box rentals plus all the fees and taxes? There's very little tax on the internet only FiOS (<$1, it might even be 0).

Try the slower internet first, you can always upgrade the speed if needed (VZ will try to convince you that you need the fastest speed FYI). Also get a price from optimum or whomever the other option is in the area and get VZ to match it.

I have sling which is a little cheaper, plus $70 for internet (suppose to be $60 but a discount never kick in....gotta a call) still makes it a better deal for me.

qclabrat

Is that $140 with the box rentals plus all the fees and taxes? There's very little tax on the internet only FiOS (<$1, it might even be 0).

Try the slower internet first, you can always upgrade the speed if needed (VZ will try to convince you that you need the fastest speed FYI). Also get a price from optimum or whomever the other option is in the area and get VZ to match it.

I have sling which is a little cheaper, plus $70 for internet (suppose to be $60 but a discount never kick in....gotta a call) still makes it a better deal for me.
Yeah, net bill
Think we only add HBO, guess you think 140 is fair?

wonderturtle

Too lazy to read prior comments so I'll just say...

We have play station vue and Netflix. We have all the "content" we need.we have the middle of the road package for vue and we get all of the local networks, all of the GOOD cables stations (bravo, etc for wife) and the sports programming I want (various ESPN, fox sports, big10netwrok). Estimate savings at $1000/yr

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Dumped FIOS......bought cable modem....fancy router....and Roku....fed by Optimum 100mb....$40 month.....no other subscriptions...liking it.

Top Bottom