Cutting carbon fiber handle bars?

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Cool. I don't have a vise but I suppose I can use a bike repair stand. Just clamp the bar and hack away. I'm wondering if spraying down the bar every once in a while to keep it wet will reduce the amount of carbon dust flying around. Just gotta do it fast enough before the water ices up. Oh I know, I can use winter windshield washer fluid good to -25°F. LOL.

Mr.Moto

1575405229510.gif

@pkovo has a good set up if you don’t have a cutter guide. I also stuffed a wet paper towel in the ends so it would grab the carbon bits when pulled out.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Cool. I don't have a vise but I suppose I can use a bike repair stand. Just clamp the bar and hack away. I'm wondering if spraying down the bar every once in a while to keep it wet will reduce the amount of carbon dust flying around. Just gotta do it fast enough before the water ices up. Oh I know, I can use winter windshield washer fluid good to -25°F. LOL.
It is honestly like a 10 second cut

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Am I the only one who thinks clamping carbon bars in a vise is a BAD IDEA? o_O

This ain't rocket science man.
  • Wrap a role of tape (any tape) a bunch of times around where you want to cut the bars.
    You want to have enough tape on so you can hold the saw blade against it.
  • Prop it up on sturdy box
  • Use your foot and free hand to hold it sturdy
  • Gently saw away with a fine blade
  • Use light sandpaper to buff the cut edges.
Should be easy as pie! :)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Am I the only one who thinks clamping carbon bars in a vise is a BAD IDEA? o_O

This ain't rocket science man.
  • Wrap a role of tape (any tape) a bunch of times around where you want to cut the bars.
    You want to have enough tape on so you can hold the saw blade against it.
  • Prop it up on sturdy box
  • Use your foot and free hand to hold it sturdy
  • Gently saw away with a fine blade
  • Use light sandpaper to buff the cut edges.
Should be easy as pie! :)
Mount bar in a stem: cut bars. Clamp stem in vise or on bike. :eek:

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
i have a planer. it is a very messy tool. - what i want is a jointer, for the once every 3 years i actually care the edges match.

was trying to figure out how to make a jig for no $$$. i've got some white (well, when new) grips that the ends are a mess, so the lock ring would work out great.

here is the blade on amazon $10 - will just assume everyone has a hacksaw frame.
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Carbon-Cutting-Blade/dp/B00426GT1W/

the guide is relatively expensive - https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Saw-Guide/dp/B07BTH746Y/ - but might be worth having around.

A lot of newer planer are predictable with their waste. TBH a jointer plane would probably get you by

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The combo is like the worst of both worlds, short bed and limited width. Unless you can get a Japanese or euro version. Rikon puts out a decent unit but still for what these run you could get a 8 or ten inch on the used market

i have a 14" planer - works great (other than the amount of shit it throws all over - weighs a ton too.
now i need straight/square edges! think i'll just go to @lucas's shop. I can't remember his forum name, but he owes us a roof drop!

Last edited:

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have a 14" planer - works great (other than the amount of shit it throws all over - weighs a ton too.
now i need straight/square edges! think i'll just go to @lucas' shop. I can't remember his forum name, but he owes us a roof drop!
Liked for roof drop.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
now i need straight/square edges! think i'll just go to @lucas's shop. I can't remember his forum name, but he owes us a roof drop!
He has a combo joiner/planer with a flip table, but it's a solid machine with dust suction. Laguna I think? It sure doesn't look like that rinky dink balsa wood shredder you posted. I should be there this Sat if you need to square some stuff.

Top Bottom