Current loop of Sterling?

Karate Monkey

Going to head up to the Sterling area in late September--anyone have a current GPX file of a 1-2 hour ride? I've never been, and would like not to get lost/go the 'wrong' way.

I'm usually riding Hartshorne 3-4 times a week, for reference.

Thanks!

roc

Going to head up to the Sterling area in late September--anyone have a current GPX file of a 1-2 hour ride? I've never been, and would like not to get lost/go the 'wrong' way.

I'm usually riding Hartshorne 3-4 times a week, for reference.

Thanks!
I don't have a file, but it you put maprika on your phone you'll be fine. its about an 7.5-8 mile loop from the caretaker lot. Either direction you do the loop is great, no wrong way. depending on how fast you ride, its about 1:30-2hr ride. takes me about 1:45, a friend of mine who is faster than me, but no lightning fast can do it in 1:15.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
Which direction has more flow/more downhill sections?
That's a tough one. Each has their charms. From South Gate I like clockwise, because it feels like it's all downhill to the car. But, for flow I like section D. It's the last singletrack on Redback before hutchinson, except if you're riding clockwise, you ride it uphill. You could turn around and session it. If you park at Caretakers you can ride counterclockwise and hit the flow on D, but that climb up to the powerlines kills me.

tmcmtb

It's good in both directions, but I personally prefer riding clockwise from the caretaker lot most of the time.

tmcmtb

I definitely dig that downhill when going counterclockwise but unfortunately it's over way too fast.

chris12453

Depending on how you ride, its like 45 minutes to an hour to ride that loop. I go from Ryerson to Sterling and back in about 2.5.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
As stated by many, both directions are awesome, but clockwise tends to be 5-10 minutes shorter in ride time for me.

oobaa47

Went to Sterling this morning.. CW does appear to be a little quicker....as long as you don't run over one of these guys.....good size too!

MVIMG_20190826_102541.jpg
MVIMG_20190826_102537.jpg

oobaa47

I’ve seen more rattlesnakes than ticks there this summer.

Where abouts on the trail did you see it?
If you're going clockwise, and started at Southgate road / Buttonwood, it was probably a mile or so from the lot as I finished up. When I was coming down from the power lines, it was right next to the first large bridge that was built after the descent.

MuniMan

If you're going clockwise, and started at Southgate road / Buttonwood, it was probably a mile or so from the lot as I finished up. When I was coming down from the power lines, it was right next to the first large bridge that was built after the descent.

I wonder if it’s the same one that visited often when that bridge was being built. It’s head is to the right of the board.

B9D04C71-D25A-461A-A8B4-E14AC878DFFB.png

sundaydoug

Another vote for riding the loop clockwise, way more fun. If you choose to ride counter-clockwise there is a super fun downhill section close to the caretaker lot, but that's really it. The rest of that loop is straight climbing.

I'll usually ride the loop clockwise and if I have the energy I'll turn around and session that fun downhill a few times since it's close to the end of the ride.

chris12453

I think both ways flow great. I'm a climbing fanatic so clockwise is just too easy of a ride. When I feel like torturing myself which is most days, I will bring my firebird there and just have at it.

Karate Monkey

Did I do this right? Might get in one or two more, same direction or backwards.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2733639881

Any input appreciated!

(By the way, as someone who rides in Monmouth County almost exclusively, I loved seeing people out *working on the trail* during the ride. Said "hi" and thanked them for pointing me in the right direction)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions