Crush the Commonwealth (Philly -> Pittsburgh)

audi666

Realized Ive never posted any recaps on here throughout the years. The ride/race/event is pretty low key with no entry fees, all self supported, and no real rules other than staying on the fixed route (mostly along Bike Route S) between Philly & Pittsburgh. Every year it switches directions and is ~380mi with 80mi of gravel along the GAP trail.

Heres the recaps from last weekends Philly --> Pittsburgh ride (sorry its a bit long)

https://ridethejawn.wordpress.com/2016/05/04/crush-the-commonwealth-2016/

The Kalmyk

Realized Ive never posted any recaps on here throughout the years. The ride/race/event is pretty low key with no entry fees, all self supported, and no real rules other than staying on the fixed route (mostly along Bike Route S) between Philly & Pittsburgh. Every year it switches directions and is ~380mi with 80mi of gravel along the GAP trail.

Heres the recaps from last weekends Philly --> Pittsburgh ride (sorry its a bit long)

https://ridethejawn.wordpress.com/2016/05/04/crush-the-commonwealth-2016/

When you were selling your bike I mentioned this to you but I guess you didn't catch it. While doing my research of the ride I came upon an Audi666 photo album. I'm doing Pitt to Philly next year. You know wind to my back

The PA Bike routes are so interesting to me. Especially the northeast to northwest

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Wow - that's wild. Nice job! Looks like a pretty great ride - I may have to try this someday!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice. Where you guys the first to make it to Pitt. In your group?
That ride seems like it would be nicer over 2 days with a hotel stop but probably not as memorable as doing it in 30 hrs and traveling like homeless people.

audi666

Thanks!

When you were selling your bike I mentioned this to you but I guess you didn't catch it. While doing my research of the ride I came upon an Audi666 photo album. I'm doing Pitt to Philly next year. You know wind to my back

The PA Bike routes are so interesting to me. Especially the northeast to northwest

hah I remember. I think you asked if the CAAD9 I was selling was the CTC bike :)

Nice. Where you guys the first to make it to Pitt. In your group?
That ride seems like it would be nicer over 2 days with a hotel stop but probably not as memorable as doing it in 30 hrs and traveling like homeless people.

Hah yah its a bit nicer to to it in a couple days. Ive stopped in Breezewood before which is ~half way point.
Nah we got there 2nd. We did beat Gavin/my old course record but Gavin and Tom crushed it and did it in 27hrs this year!

rick81721

Lothar
My legs fell off reading that story. I could see trying it over a few day period but in one shot - makes the NJ longest day seem like a chump ride

liong71er

Nicely done, congrats.april is a tough month to ride long distance tour.

When Spencer mentioned this ride to me several years ago, I always wanted to do it. However, my work get in the way.
But I could do this this ride on my own term, hopefully this year.
Always wanted to see the abandoned PA tpk and checking out all those tunnels.
Thanks for sharing! !
Great job

rsinger814

Awesome! That's sick you did it all in one shot!

The ride that got me into cycling was when I rode the PA V Route from Ohio to Delaware Water Gap. Before that, I had only commuted to class which was all of 3 miles one way. It took 4 1/2 days on an 1985 Peugeot 12 speed! Some of the best days ever!

Top Bottom