Crown Race for Tapered fork

Rockbottom

So I'm having some trouble installing a new fork. The fork is a 2017 fox 34 talas with a tapered stearing tube going into a 2017 intense tracer. When I tighten down the top cap of the headset, the stearing is way to tight. When I loosen the top cap a little, there is way to much play (slack). I believe a crown race is what I'm missing, but I can't seem to find any large enough to fit a tapered steering tube. Diameter would be 1 5/8". Even online, the largest crown race I can find is 1.5".

Karate Monkey

Read the link at the bottom here. Almost all bicycle stuff is actually measured in millimeters, even when we refer to them with imperial/SAE designations. A question, though, is how are you measuring it; critical dimensions for a press/interference fit are measured in 10ths of millimeters, which you can't get from a ruler.

Most companies make crown races without a split, as these are more secure--they require installation with a tool intended for hammering it down the fork evenly.

If you suspect something is wrong, a picture would help, names of what you have, or even just a visit to a local shop equipped to deal with modern mountain bikes.

PS: if replacing an existing fork, your crown race is likely already on it, and needs to be removed and installed in the new fork.

qclabrat

yeah posting some pics would help, usually it's the wrong race, which we probably couldn't diagnosis with the pics though
where's the race which came with the headset?

Mr.Moto

Is this a brand new fork out of the box that you are installing? Just trying to figure out what may be the issue.

If it is brand new and no one has installed a crown race, a crown race is needed. Crown race should come with the headset.
Is the steer tube cut to the right length?
Diameter sounds odd. Where are you measuring this? Pics would be helpful.

This spec guide might be helpful: https://www.canecreek.com/resources...ications/oe-head-tube-specification-guide.pdf

Rockbottom

So the race is on the original fork. I purchased the bike directly from intense which came pre-built. I’m switching out the foundation fork that came with the bike with a new fox fork right out of the box. Headset was already installed on bike. I attached a pic of original fork with race on it and headset. I’m an amateur so my measurements are probabaly off.

Attachments

• 055CA6DE-19C4-43B9-B3EB-EBFA5458B005.jpeg
    055CA6DE-19C4-43B9-B3EB-EBFA5458B005.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 301
  • B0DFAC7B-6F5C-4FCF-BC77-76C4AE063B41.jpeg
    B0DFAC7B-6F5C-4FCF-BC77-76C4AE063B41.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 273
  • 1BE6DC3F-17AD-4C42-A766-0236C7F274EE.jpeg
    1BE6DC3F-17AD-4C42-A766-0236C7F274EE.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 268

Mr.Moto

So the race is on the original fork. I purchased the bike directly from intense which came pre-built. I’m switching out the foundation fork that came with the bike with a new fox fork right out of the box. Headset was already installed on bike. I attached a pic of original fork with race on it and headset. I’m an amateur so my measurements are probabaly off.

So it looks like you need to remove the crown race from the original fork and install it on the new fork (assuming your new fork is tapered as well). Measure and cut the new fork then install on the bike.

Mr.Moto

Looks like what you are measuring is the lower bearing? It's made to fit with the crown race on the original fork.

Rockbottom

Correct, that was lower bearing. I couldn’t get the crown race off the original fork, but I did order a removal tool (pic below) hopefully this works. To be continued....

Attachments

• 608EA41D-9C19-4296-A497-90DE2D436914.png
    608EA41D-9C19-4296-A497-90DE2D436914.png
    251.9 KB · Views: 224

Ian F

You will need to transfer the crown race from the OEM fork to your new fork. To be honest, if you don't have the right tools, it can be a PITA. It used to be fairly easy to transfer a crown race from a 1 1/8" fork, but for the tapered forks I broke down and bought a Park CRP-2 removal tool. It's a little finicky to use, but man does it work well and doesn't damage the fork at all, which is nice for resale.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Hold on! I had the same problem on another bike. The problem wasn’t with the crown race. It was actually the headset. There needed a thin spacer between the upper bearing and the headset dust/top cap. I inserted a super thin spacer and it was sorted. Another possible issue is one or both bearings isn’t fully seated. That happens a lot when the fork is put back in.. makes it slightly cockeyed.

Just a thought.

Dan

qclabrat

pic of the new fork headtube to confirm? since new, probably no race
It costs about $25 for a new crown race and install at the LBS

Mr.Moto

So, wow. Huge pain in the neck to get the crown race off the original fork. Not easy at all with a tapered tube. Race is installed on new fork (pic below) and fork is ready to go on bike :)

Be sure the race is seated all the way to the bottom evenly.

Karate Monkey

PVC pipe makes an excellent installer for crown races. Chamfer the inside edge that contacts the crown race, and cut the pipe an extra 10-12" longer than the steerer tube. Gently hold the two together, upside down, and smack them on a hard surface, as if they were a slide hammer.

qclabrat

Be sure the race is seated all the way to the bottom evenly.
You see a small also?

PVC pipe makes an excellent installer for crown races. Chamfer the inside edge that contacts the crown race, and cut the pipe an extra 10-12" longer than the steerer tube. Gently hold the two together, upside down, and smack them on a hard surface, as if they were a slide hammer.

I did the same recently, @Rockbottom if you are near Somerset cty, feel free to borrow mine

huffster

I'm seeing a little gap below the race in this photo. If you had that gap when you installed the fork, you can expect this to loosen up soon. It may feel nice and snug now, but when you ride it, the hits will press that race on harder and the gap will transfer to become "play" elsewhere in the stack. I'd take it back apart and get it better seated now with some PVC, as previously suggested. You should not even be able to slide a piece of paper in there.

So, wow. Huge pain in the neck to get the crown race off the original fork. Not easy at all with a tapered tube. Race is installed on new fork (pic below) and fork is ready to go on bike :)

Top Bottom