crossmax 29ers

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
anyone know what the durability is like on these? will they hold up to the beating my 200 lb arse will give them or will they just turn into an expensive modern art piece?

edit: they would be used on a SS, not a gearie if that changes your answer.

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
doug jenne has been pretty happy with his on his ss as far as i know. he's about my size i think, and pretty quick.

BiknBen

anyone know what the durability is like on these? will they hold up to the beating my 200 lb arse will give them or will they just turn into an expensive modern art piece?

edit: they would be used on a SS, not a gearie if that changes your answer.

I've got them on my Niner One9 but I'm just a skinny 155 lbs. That being said the wheels are very stiff and have the typical Mavic bomb-proofness.

Bonus, getting a regular cassette hub allows you to do this.
CIMG3583Small.jpg

olegbabich

I got them on my new niner. Only one ride so far, but I got Crossmax wheels on my other bike and no problems so far. I like angry frogs on 29 wheels.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i would like to know aS WELL. it is between them and dt swiss 240's w/ delgado's.

personally, i would go with the 240's/delgados with dt supercomps. pretty easy to replace a spoke at pretty much any bike shop in north america on that setup, even if you have to temporarily run a straight guage one. you also have the ability to change rims if something better comes along, and it's not like something better than a 240s is likely to come along any time soon...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
I've got them on my Niner One9 but I'm just a skinny 155 lbs. That being said the wheels are very stiff and have the typical Mavic bomb-proofness.

Bonus, getting a regular cassette hub allows you to do this.
CIMG3583Small.jpg

you can do that on ss cassette hubs as well. most of them will allow you to run 4 or 5 cogs with 9sp spacing.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
personally, i would go with the 240's/delgados with dt supercomps. pretty easy to replace a spoke at pretty much any bike shop in north america on that setup, even if you have to temporarily run a straight guage one. you also have the ability to change rims if something better comes along, and it's not like something better than a 240s is likely to come along any time soon...

personally, after reading the reviews AND speaking with our own paris hilton, i wouldn't touch the delgados. not now, not ever. hopefully he'll chime in on this, but i think brett's description of them was something in the range of wet noodle.

sean, what are you and your girlish figure tipping the scales at these days? would YOU run these? i don't have anywhere near the uber-bike skillz that you do, but i definitely beat on my crap just as much.

i dunno. the mavics look real nice but i have the durability question lingering and i HATE to spend good money on things that break. i think what i'll end up doing is just waiting for the salsa gordos to hit the streets and lace them up to some good hubs. speaking of hubs, anyone have a preference for those? ok, king n' bling, obviously, but does it really even matter if you use an SS hub v. a traditional?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
either way is ok

Both my 29er are built up with Salsa Delgado Race rims. I think they are more than solid enough for me and I am 200lbs. I think that the Velocity Blunts might be a bit stiffer though. It is worth watching out for the new DT 29er rim that will be a step up from their pinned (not welded) 470x rim. I can't recall the name but I have been told that we will see them this summer.

I have the DT 240 Hubs and they are everything you would want in a hub. I had the Kings and I much prefer the DT's. (the king buzzing get's old).

I like my wheels just fine but it is a safe bet that when Mavic brings us the Lefty specific Crossmax 29 that they will be on my bike.

I like that the Mavics are designed and built as a wheel system. The I9 wheels are not liked by the rim manufacturers I have spoken with. Since they are using a much stiffer spoke than the rims are designed to be run with they make the rim the weak point in the system. I am certain that if rim builders had designed a rim to work with I9 spokes that the rim would be much stiffer and heavier. But they look cool enough..

I like the true UST rims. Other people say that you don't need it but I think you do.

Last thing worth noting is that Mavic sells there MP3 system which is a no questions asked replacement plan. The price varies by wheelset but it could be worth while if you thrash wheels. I haven't sold this plan since I am generally against this kind of thing.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i didn't realize you were 200lbs. are you like 6'11" or something? :D

ok, so then it appears the mavics may be just fine for me? have you ridden those up north where we actually have rocks and stuff? not being a d!ck, just trying to cover the bases.

so, no kings. i don't care to go all bling-a-ding-king anyway, but if i do go custom so i'd likely go w/ the DTs. they hurt the pocket even MORE than the kings do, but if they last forever, then, well, good investment.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I'd throw Hope hubs out there as another option to consider. The workmanship is 1st class, they are not quite as light as the DT or King, but still very respectable weight-wise and durable to boot.

I'll be building (well, Jason will do the actual building) new 29er wheels soon and will be running Hopes, likely with Stan's Arch rims and DT 14/15s.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have the hopes on my fuel and they've been fantastic. not a single issue. if it weren't for the fact that i had a serious buyer for the full bike, i'd be parting that whole bike out and using those hubs to build my new 29er wheels.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I would've gotten the crossmaxs but the expense and availability of spokes made me nervous.I'm also only familiar w/ traditional laces,trues etc so outside help would be needed for the first few issues(if i had any).I think there are 2 delgados,1 race 1 not.I have races i think and the 2nd set i recieved were much better than the 1st but the welds still look cheap.If you are going the tubeless route the cs29 rim still leaks from what i've heard.I spent probably around $800 and the wheels are basically the same as the bonty's that came stock on the paragon wieghtwise.I do have a bitchin loud DT w/ instant pawl engagment though.................

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i just meant as regards a traditional wheel build up, not proprietary parts. i have no experience with salsa rims, so have no knowledge of their quality.

i'm coming in at a svelte 198lbs these days jake. it doesn't seem to be fat or muscle, so i'm assuming my less than stellar diet of late has led to a build up of intestinal plaque, which can add significant weight to one's person.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
brett- while weight is a bit of a concern (i don't want KH tanks), it's not something i'm going to count grams on. i just want a good wheel set. agree with the mavic comment about the spokes, i've read that before as well. i don't know about tubeless yet...i'm still doing the evaluation.

sean- i know you don't know anything about the salsa...i didn't think i said you did...did i? they aren't even out yet, i was just thinking out loud. more or less.

ok, well according to device in my bathroom the measures the amount of gravity that exerts itself upon my frame, i'm coming in at 198.5 so we're about equal. except you're 6'4" and i'm a smurf.

Top Bottom