Crossing rt 22 and 78 on a road bike

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
As the light starts to slowly return to the evening, I want to start riding to work. I haven't worked at my current location in Westfield long, so I'm really only familiar with my car commute. Most of the way it's not too bad, but in sections it gets very "highway-y" especially trying to pass over 22 and 78 on Springfield Ave where traffic hits high speeds with little shoulder. Wondering if anyone any knows any secrets to getting around the busy areas. Meanwhile I'll keep scouting google maps for any hope.
Thanks

Jmann

From where?
South orange. If I was driving I would cross 78 and 22 on Springfield Ave in Springfield. Seems those roadways are a bottleneck that is hard too avoid. Google maps in cycling mode sends me either the same way I would drive or through Irvington.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
at least at commute time springfield ave tends to turninto a parking lot. you could also take liberty ave across 78, doesnt help with crossing 22 unfortunately.

Jmann

I guess I was hoping someone knew of a pedestrian tunnel or something weird that would avoid the major sketchy areas. When I lived in Massachusetts I used to cut through the back of strip malls parking lots and hobo trails to avoid a major roadway.

Xler8

There is a pedestrian walk way at the corner of RT22 and New Providence. You would have to carry your bike up and over unless you have skilz to hop up a set of stairs. Other than that, there really isn't any "safe" way to cross 22.

rlb

There is a pedestrian walk way at the corner of RT22 and New Providence. You would have to carry your bike up and over unless you have skilz to hop up a set of stairs. Other than that, there really isn't any "safe" way to cross 22.

I did that once, then just waited at the light and crossed normally. That intersection isn't really that bad.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I would go through the Reservation. Head up Springfield to Morris, Glenside to Summit Rd, Skytop, WR Tracey, cross Rt22, Right at Public House on Mountain Ave into Westfield.

rlb

Also if you give roughly where you're starting/finishing it might help us a bit more. Don't need addresses, but nearby major intersections or something...

Jmann

Also if you give roughly where you're starting/finishing it might help us a bit more. Don't need addresses, but nearby major intersections or something...
I live close to mountain station and end up at Westfield post office.

I'll check out that cut through on Troy, thanks.

Reactions: rlb

rlb

I live close to mountain station and end up at Westfield post office.

I'll check out that cut through on Troy, thanks.

I'd suggest cutting through Millburn or Summit and make your way up to Watching Res as @jimvreeland stated. You might also get a clue or 2 from my old rides circa 2011-2013 if you want to dig that far back into my Strava.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would go through the Reservation. Head up Springfield to Morris, Glenside to Summit Rd, Skytop, WR Tracey, cross Rt22, Right at Public House on Mountain Ave into Westfield.
This^
I live in Cranford and this is how all the local roadies cross 22. I have to say that none of the roads are great on this side of 22, it's a densely populated area but if you have red blinkie lights on back of bike, light on the front and ride defensively it's doable.

Top Bottom