Creaky Crank or BB??

Casper

I've been test riding a demo 2008 stumpy expert. The rides have been great except for a creaking sound coming from either the BB or crank. It mostly happens on climbs. My LBS looked at it 4 times already. I want to buy this bike; great deal, but won't if the creak isn't fixed. The LBS pulled everything apart and greased it(like 4 times). The creak is still their. I'm no bike mechanic... Is there a component in the BB area that is sealed and not accessible for a mechanic to repair that would require a replacement? I'm getting frustrated with this issue, and beginning to question the purchase. Not sure what to do...

Hopefully they faced the BB. I had this same thing on my road bike, and when I removed the BB shells there was still paint on there. I cleaned it off with a razor blade, cleaned everything with alchohol and anti-seized the threads. Noise all gone. :D

Tim

Pull the cassete and grease the hub body. I had this problem recently on my HT. It stopped my creaks.

Now if I can fix the creaking from my knees.....:hmmm:

My lbs replaced the rear weal and the creak went away. So, they think it's the rear casette or hub. All of your suggestions seek reasonable. This is my first experience with understanding how complicated these full suss's are. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom