Creaking pressfit bottom bracket

Tony13

Has anyone successfully stopped a pressfit BB from creaking? I have a Giant Fathom and after a year its creaking like hell. What's the secret? Wheels MFG makes a cool PF BB with a threaded inner shell to keep it tight, but i'm not sure I can use it due to the internal cables that are routed through the BB shell.

Cassinonorth

There are so many things that can make a "bottom bracket" creak. Pressfit is much better than it used to be, it usually isn't the bottom bracket. Bike frames reverberate sound and they all pretty much sound like they're coming from the bottom bracket. Ask these questions...

1. Is the noise there sitting and/or standing?
2. Does the noise come from a particular part of the pedal stroke?
3. Can you replicate the noise without pedaling?

I'd start with trying different pedals, greasing the saddle rails or even swapping saddles if you have one on hand and tightening the thru axle to spec. It is possible it is the bottom bracket, I've had good luck with Wheels Mfg + PF retaining compound. I've heard good things about the BBRight style but they don't make them in PF92.

Tony13

well I pulled the cranks apart, cleaned and retightened everything, tightened the pedals . I found the rear cassette wasnt completely seated on the freehub driver, so I snugged that up. removed cleaned and reinstalled the stem and handle bar. Ill be in allaire tomorrow morning to test it out. Fingers crossed.

Karate Monkey

Just FYI, and everybody does this, but you'll have no way of knowing which thing it was (?) that you fixed the problem, since you did a bunch at one time.

I'll second the sentiment that it is almost NEVER the bottom bracket itself (except when it it, but it's usually obvious).

Top Bottom