Crash in Tour de Fair Haven

HeavyMetaLance

Today I saw the nastiest crash in a crit that I've ever seen, and it wasn't because of something that the riders in the race did.

It was the first race of the day (Cat 5's). My race (the cat 3/4s) was set to go second. I set up my trainer so that I could watch the race from just past the start/finish.

As the race came through the start finish of the fist lap, someone wandered on to the race course after only half the field made it through. As a matter of fact, he was one of the organizers. I think his name is Don. He's an older guy. If you were at Nittany, he was working the the registration table for a bit.

Then, SLAM!!!!
A rider collided right into him at 30 mph.

The sound. My God, the sound was awful. It wasn't the sound of carbon and aluminum scraping the ground. It was the sound of two bodies slamming into one another.

The crash was so sudden and violent that I didn't even see that it was because someone wandered onto the course.
What I thought happened was that the rider hit the curb and slammed into a pole or something. His 30 mph momentum came to a 100% halt that fast. I looked around, and there was no pole, or any other object that he could have hit.
Then I saw the other person laying on the ground. Both unconscious.

There were reports that one of them wasn't breathing, and they had to use a manual resuscitator. The bicyclist had to get medevaced out of there. The person who wandered on to the course went away in the ambulance.
It was bad. Extremely bad.

It really, really shook me. Pretty much everyone was shaken. For a second, I considered packing up my stuff and going home. A lot of people saw the entire thing, since it was right near the start/finish where most of the spectators were.

I ended up doing my race, and there were no incidents. I was shaking at the start of my race. I had to put that aside, because that kind of nervousness has no place in a road race.
Afterwards, I talked to some other riders in my race, and they said that they were shaking at the start too...

I'm not sure how true this is, but what people were saying is that the pace car didn't have a radio. The organizer tried to throw a radio into the window of the pace car as it passed, but missed the window. The radio laid in the middle of the road, so the organizer tried to get out there to clear it off so none of the riders hit it...

Last edited:

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Mike on here posted up on another forum about some more specifics. He was two back.

Pretty scary stuff. Crit racing scares the heck out of me. :eek:

He did mention exactly that with the radio. Mentioned the organizer has been doing it for 30 years, but mistakes can still be made.

SpartaBard

Scary. It is bad enough reading about crashes or seeing them on YouTube or TV, I can't imagine seeing in real life. Fortunately I don't remember much of anything from my crash.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's crazy Lance...I hope they will both be OK. At least the hospital is only down the road a few minutes...

Was thinking about doing this race today as it is local for me(5 min away) and I was not doing Tymor, and on the road I am a Cat 5...really glad I opted out.

That is really scary.

Brian

Robin

It was awful to see and hear. I completely lost it and was a sobbing mess. This year I've had my fair share of picking friends/loved ones off the pavement during races. I'm sure this is the worst I'll ever witness. As much as I know it was a "freak accident", today just proved to me that I don't have what it takes to race the road.

I searched for any updates/news on the crash and found something from the local paper. Nothing updated yet on both.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The rider that went down was going into surgery to relieve pressure on his brain.

Sucks. :(

HeavyMetaLance & skiphreaknj, good to see you two. It was the only good thing about the morning. Very scary what can happen in the blink of an eye.

Schilling

Team MTBNJ Halter's
wow. my friend adam texted me this morning about a horrific crash. just reading lance's post put a pit in my stomach. i couldn't imagine how i would be if i witnessed it. i hope that all the parties involved are allright and recover.

mfennell

Santapez told me you guys were talking about this.

I signed up for 3/4 but found out that morning that I could not do a one-day license for Cat 4. So I found myself in 5 with my Tuesday-Night-Worlds riding buddy, Cole. It was his first bike race.

Cole is fast. Really fast. Cat 2 fast. His bike time at Lake Placid Ironman beat a few Pro guys. He's also one of the nicest guys I've met on my bike. We had a loose plan to attack after the first lap and I was (secretly) hoping I could figure out a way to surprise him at the end with Mad Tactical Skillz. It was more likely he would just ride me off his wheel.

I was two back from the crash, offset a little to the left thankfully.

It's a miracle that this was not a massive pileup. I wasn't looking back but I think Cole had strung us out just enough that those behind had an instant to react and some room to maneuver. Another racer posted to FB that he and the guy to the left of him both swerved left together to avoid Cole and his bike, possibly preventing a big chain reaction.

Cole is under sedation at Jersey Shore right now. The original report that he was in surgery to reduce cranial pressure was in error. They are monitoring pressure and things looked positive this morning. I understand he will stay sedated for two more days so it's a waiting game right now.

The official (Don, as mentioned above) is also still hospitalized. He was briefly unconscious a the scene as well.

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Oh my God Mike, I can't even imagine what that must have been like from your vantage point. Wishing a speedy recovery for your friend, as well as the official.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for posting, please keep us informed as to the health of Cole and race director.
I don't know the people involved in the accident but wish them a healthy recovery.

giff06

Heres the latest that I got:

Hi All …By now you’ve probably heard plenty of rumors about Tour de Fair Haven … I was there this is what I know ….
Dan Donnelly Chief Ref was hit full on the first lap of the first race of this event by a rider – knocking both the Rider ( Cole Porter ) and Dan unconscious. Dan was taken to the hospital via ambulance. I saw him after the event and I am in contact with his wife Cindy who was also at the event as Chief Judge. He has a bad concussion and was admitted for observation for the next 24/48 hrs. 17 stitches on his ear and stitches in the back of his head for a laceration. He has severe pain in both arms and shoulder, but nothing is broken – I am not a doctor but I assume this is from bruising due to the impact or possibly the fall and landing.
Cole Porter Rider was unconscious and airlifted to a trauma center – his wife and 2 small children were there at the scene of the impact. He is in critical condition, with severe injuries. I cannot and will not assume his exact condition as I only have had hearsay information.
Following the occurrence the first event of the day was cancelled.
Both Cole and Dan need your support and prayers for a speedy recovery.
I will keep all posted if any additional information is available.
Please try to keep the chatter of this occurrence off social media and direct questions and concerns direct to me ( ds1121@aol.com )
Thanks to all of those who love and support our riding / officiating families – God Speed to all

------ __o
----_`\<,_
---@/ @

Deb Schiff
NJ State Coordinator
973-615-4194

Hoping a speedy and full recovery to all,
Ed and Pat Gifford
the Snot Rocket tandem

mfennell

It really, really shook me. Pretty much everyone was shaken. For a second, I considered packing up my stuff and going home. A lot of people saw the entire thing, since it was right near the start/finish where most of the spectators were...
In many ways, you guys had it worse. As you'll recall, they stopped us about 100 meters out as soon as we came back around so we didn't really see anything past the initial hit. A number of my friends migrated down towards us. One was particularly ashen. "Mike, I don't think Cole's going to make it. They're not moving the ambulance because he's not stable enough." He did not race. We heard Cole was stable about 90 minutes later. I now realize that "stable" does not mean "eating ice cream with the pre-game show on" although encouraging reports continue to trickle in.

ChrisG said:
Oh my God Mike, I can't even imagine what that must have been like from your vantage point. Wishing a speedy recovery for your friend, as well as the official.
On behalf of the parties, thanks Chris and everyone.

SmooveP

Santapez told me you guys were talking about this.

I signed up for 3/4 but found out that morning that I could not do a one-day license for Cat 4. So I found myself in 5 with my Tuesday-Night-Worlds riding buddy, Cole. It was his first bike race.

Cole is fast. Really fast. Cat 2 fast. His bike time at Lake Placid Ironman beat a few Pro guys. He's also one of the nicest guys I've met on my bike. We had a loose plan to attack after the first lap and I was (secretly) hoping I could figure out a way to surprise him at the end with Mad Tactical Skillz. It was more likely he would just ride me off his wheel.

I was two back from the crash, offset a little to the left thankfully.

The race director tried to pass a radio to the lead car and it ended up in the road. He tried to pick it up and continue across the road didn't quite make it. I remember thinking he was moving so slowly. I only saw a flash of the hit but it was horrendous.

I like to think I'm pretty good about looking ahead, predicting outcomes, etc., but when you're right on the wheel of ONE guy and there's noone around, that takes 90% of your focus and the whole reason for a closed road, a lead car, etc., is that you can do that. Point being that it all happened so quickly, I'm not exactly sure what I did. There were 3 of us at the front. Cole, a guy in a red/white jersey, and myself. Cole had been trying to get the guy to pull through so we were not lined up nose-to-tail. I suspect I drifted left and Cole might have thought he saw daylight to the right but we'll never know. If the race director had jumped in the other direction there might be a thread on here about me.

It's a miracle that this was not a massive pileup. I wasn't looking back but I think Cole had strung us out just enough that those behind had an instant to react and some room to maneuver. Another racer posted to FB that he and the guy to the left of him both swerved left together to avoid Cole and his bike, possibly preventing a big chain reaction.

Cole is under sedation at Jersey Shore right now. The original report that he was in surgery to reduce cranial pressure was in error. They are monitoring pressure and things looked positive this morning. I understand he will stay sedated for two more days so it's a waiting game right now.

The official (Don, as mentioned above) is also still hospitalized. He was briefly unconscious a the scene as well.

Geez, glad to hear you dodged this. Sorry to hear about your bud. Hope he comes through it OK.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Early reports that named the official "Don" had me wondering if it was, in fact, Dan Donnelly. Dan and Cindy have been stalwarts in the NJ road racing scene longer than some of the people on this board have been alive.

Once again, sending prayers for full recovery to both who were involved in this incident.

Top Bottom