CrankBrothers Cobalt wheels

scotth

Hello All...I would like to switch over to tubeless, but don't know that much about the different brands of wheels. I read about the crankbrothers cobalt but couldn'd find any information on wheel size. I need a 29 inch wheel. For those of you that made the switch, what do you think? I could spend around a $1000. Thanks.

Regards,

Scott

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
pretty sure those wheels aren't 29ers. Go with the mavic crossmax 29er, while I don't ride em, I do ride the 26er enduros and they are good.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Another vote for Mavic. And let me take this rare opportunity to be the first to tell you to head down to Halter's, which isn't all that far from you.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Peep this Bontrager Race X-Lite 29 wheelset, it uses a DT Swiss hub and is very light at just over 1700 grams. It's also super durable, I've been smashing the heck out of these this season and they're still perfect. Bonus, they're only $800 and can easily be converted to and from tubeless:D

http://www.bontrager.com/model/06338/en

-Jim.

mwlikesbikes

= Hope + Mavic

It seems like Crank Bros. is just trying to reinvent the wheel. For the money you want to spend you should go with a custom build. My personal choice is Hope Pro 2 hubs, Mavic 717 rims, alloy nips, & double butted spokes. They'll take a beating and say "thank you sir, may I have another!"
It's not going to be as pimpin' as the crank bros. or ind. nine but when you break a spoke or nipple you can fix it easily as opposed to the crank's weird eyelets and 2 piece spokes.

walter

Fourth Party
Keep in mind that if this is a wheelset for a Cannondale F29, your wheel choices are limited. Your front wheel will have to be built around your Lefty hub. Unless of course, you swapped out the Lefty for a regular fork.

scotth

Thank you for the advice! It is an F29, I'll have to stop in the shop and figure it out.

Regards,

Scott

Glancing Aft

Stick with tubes, that way you can laugh at everyone as you pass them with their leaking Stans... I'm new to the 29er thing but I have seen no reason to need to run a supper low air pressure with large wheels. Oh, and my vote's for the Crossmaxs.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Stick with tubes, that way you can laugh at everyone as you pass them with their leaking Stans... I'm new to the 29er thing but I have seen no reason to need to run a supper low air pressure with large wheels. Oh, and my vote's for the Crossmaxs.

Really now. Who would take advice from a guy who rides a bike that looks more like Kermit the Frog than Fozzy the Bear?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

you didn't read this thread?

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6878

according to schwalbe, if you run a 3.0 tire at 20 psi, you will be the fastest on everything from grass to gravel :hmmm:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have the New Shimano XT 29ers and the Crossmax 29er wheels in stock.

Both are ready for tubeless from the factory without any tape oe rubber seals.

j-

tim.stevens

Mavic TN 719 rim

I posted the following awhile back on a similar thread:

Jason built me a front wheel for my F29er lefty with a Mavic TN719 and I absolutely love it. It is incredibly stiff and has stayed perfectly true after many rides at chimney rock. I go over 220lbs, so it must be a tough wheel.

The TN719 rim looks very similar to the crossmax29 rim except not tubeless.

Tim.

Top Bottom