Crank Removal

Rockbottom

Trying to remove my crank so I can clean/service my bottom bracket. I’m able to remove the drive side of the crank, however the non driver side that has the spindle attached to it won’t come out. Any ideas? The crank is a RaceFace affect 175mm direct mount cinch. Bottom
Bracket appears to be raceface xtype?

Attachments

• AE031F40-0FB9-45EE-BFB9-BEA5ACE2EF26.jpeg
    AE031F40-0FB9-45EE-BFB9-BEA5ACE2EF26.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 94
  • D86A9491-3506-414C-93E7-D7CF2ED7DC85.jpeg
    D86A9491-3506-414C-93E7-D7CF2ED7DC85.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 94

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
all of mine have had the non-drive side crank come off and then slide out the drive side (some persuasion is required if its been in for a long time)

try putting a piece of wood over the end of the spindle and tapping it with a hammer.

Rockbottom

all of mine have had the non-drive side crank come off and then slide out the drive side (some persuasion is required if its been in for a long time)

try putting a piece of wood over the end of the spindle and tapping it with a hammer.
Certainly has been a while. I’ve been hitting it with a rubber mallet and it hasn’t budged. Good idea to try with a piece of wood over the end with a hammer. The spindle seems to be revolving along with the inner part of the bottom bracket.

Never had an issue with removing any other cranks before

Karate Monkey

Might be stuck to a bearing, but you won't hurt anything.

Brace the frame (if it's just you, out a leg aside the frame opposite the spindle end), get a piece of wood/soft-faced deadblow hammer, and hit it, like you're trying to drive a concrete anchor into the ground by hand.

The bracing is important, since you'll lose a ton of force by the frame flexing out of the way.

Top Bottom