Crank Bros

Shaggz

A strong 7
WOW - what a great company. I broke one the the entry points on the right-side pedal this weekend, and called customer service to see if it could be repaired. no questions asked, they issued an RA number for repair, and are going to replace the bearings on BOTH pedals, free of charge. Anticipated 3 day turnaround.

heythorp

Shaggz said:
WOW - what a great company. I broke one the the entry points on the right-side pedal this weekend, and called customer service to see if it could be repaired. no questions asked, they issued an RA number for repair, and are going to replace the bearings on BOTH pedals, free of charge. Anticipated 3 day turnaround.

Holy cow. You broke your pedal? Most people tend to break pedals while riding really technical places, but i would love to know how you broke a pedal without taking the bike out of the garage.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
heythorp said:
Holy cow. You broke your pedal? Most people tend to break pedals while riding really technical places, but i would love to know how you broke a pedal without taking the bike out of the garage.

LOFL! Post of the day!

SpartaBard

Shaggz is a bit out of shape, maybe it was just the extra pressure exerted on the eggbeater?

I really shouldn't talk though since mine fell off on the same ride.

Judge Smails

Eggbeaters are interesting. I've been using them for about 3 years or so now and in general I'm happy with them, but I can't help but think that there are better options. They are just good enough that it would be too much of a hassle to switch to another type of peddle.

They are pretty well constructed and the lack of moving parts adds to the reliability. However, the cleats wear down after a few months and then your feet unclip too easily. Also, you'll start to get knocked out when you hit rocks - something that's almost unavoidable here in NJ.

I've heard good things about Times so at some point I might try those or switch back to SPD's.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i switched from speedplays - which i used for about 7 years without issue. I like the egg beater, but I think something like the candy or smartie (eggbeaters with a platform) might be a better option.

heythorp

Shaggz said:
i switched from speedplays - which i used for about 7 years without issue. I like the egg beater, but I think something like the candy or smartie (eggbeaters with a platform) might be a better option.

wow suprised you switched, i would never leave my speedplays and my GF now has my original cleats (10 years old) on her shoes. and i still have the orginal pair of pedals on my bike.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i know - i'm surprised too. they are still in great shape, but i figured new bike brand (cannondale to giant), new pedals.

S

Stan LeCupp

Shaggz said:

I used the candy pedals for a while. They were not very durable when they come in contact with rocks a lot. There nice pedals but I was constantly losing the end caps when they hit rocks. The body eventually got destroyed. Crankbros are indeed an awesome company. They readily sent me spare end caps and bearings. They rebuilt my trashed pedals with new body and mechanism at no cost (no questions asked). I would stick with the eggbeaters if you find yourself striking rocks often. The plastic body on the candys doesn't hold up too well.

With that said I switched back to Time pedals and haven't looked back. They have never broke on me and i have a much easier time clipping in.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i've yet to lose an end cap on the candies, despite hitting rocks with them. i loctited the endcaps, so that might have helped.

S

Stan LeCupp

anrothar said:
i've yet to lose an end cap on the candies, despite hitting rocks with them. i loctited the endcaps, so that might have helped.

Loctite and teflon tape helps. The body is soft and wears down after a while. No biggie, like I said CB's replaced anything that was broke, lost or worn. They are very nice pedals (Light too). Customer service is the best. I started riding with Times and have always been partial to them.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Good stuff

Cranks bros have the best warranty going. I have sent back battered and abused pedals and they either have replaced or repaired them no charge every time.

I sell them mostly to women and nebies since they have basically no release tension.

I personally prefer the feel of Shimano pedals. The new XTR pedal should start shipping this week. It is a very sweet setup.

j

Shaggz

A strong 7
From what I read, the xtr is a dressed up 959 that finally is worthy of the xtr brand - they certainly look great. i started back on CODA cr@p pedals, and switched to the speedplays pretty quickly. quite frankly, i haven't tried a shimano(style) pedal since. i have heard others echo stan's sentiments about the time.

J-Dro

jdog said:
I personally prefer the feel of Shimano pedals. The new XTR pedal should start shipping this week. It is a very sweet setup.

j

You ride with Shimano SPD's in that muck at 6 mile run???:eek: Maybe things have changed over the years, but I ditched my Shimano pedals a few years ago because they didn't work at all in the mud. I could never get them to engage unless it was dry and dusty outside. Like Stan said, I switched to Time's and never looked back. I use the platform version and the only downside is they are pretty heavy.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have SPDs and have never had a problem clipping in. I ride CR a lot so I get plenty of mud.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i've used shimano's for 10 years. not a single issue. wet, dry, whatever.

J-Dro

Hmmm. Wondering if I just had a bum pair of SPD's... Or maybe my pedal/shoe combo at the time just magnified the problem.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
possibly...i've had three pairs of 'em and literally the only issues i've had with clipping in have been if bark or grass is jammed in.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Same here with the Shimano SPDs, never had a problem.

Kirt

Top Bottom