Cougars, here we go again.

Nicholas

Banned
I find it interesting how the pathetic species of modern domesticated human is always more scared of the improbable prospect of an attack from a natural predator, but always so non-plussed and nonchalant about the much greater and more probable danger from the technology of the man-made world. It points to a large mentality that fears the natural world and is ignorant of greater dangers from the machines we create.

Everyone here probably knows someone injured or perhaps killed in a car crash. Alot of cyclists disproportionately get whacked by cars. Attacks from predators like bears or lions are more Tall-tales such as Pecos Bill, you hear rumors, read sensationalist stories in the paper, or lies from your friends, but you don't know anyone you maintain social contact with who was party to such an attack. That does not mean that they do not happen, but they are so rare, you just don't know anyone that it happened to.

Also if there are cougars in NJ alot are probably owned by rich douches. There are more big cats in the USA owned by private citizens with too much money to part with, than there are by all the zoos. It is legal in alot of the country too, don't know about NJ, but you could always illegally own them and the cops will just harass the poor as usual.

aedubber

I find it interesting how the pathetic species of modern domesticated human is always more scared of the improbable prospect of an attack from a natural predator, but always so non-plussed and nonchalant about the much greater and more probable danger from the technology of the man-made world. It points to a large mentality that fears the natural world and is ignorant of greater dangers from the machines we create.

Everyone here probably knows someone injured or perhaps killed in a car crash. Alot of cyclists disproportionately get whacked by cars. Attacks from predators like bears or lions are more Tall-tales such as Pecos Bill, you hear rumors, read sensationalist stories in the paper, or lies from your friends, but you don't know anyone you maintain social contact with who was party to such an attack. That does not mean that they do not happen, but they are so rare, you just don't know anyone that it happened to.

Also if there are cougars in NJ alot are probably owned by rich douches. There are more big cats in the USA owned by private citizens with too much money to part with, than there are by all the zoos. It is legal in alot of the country too, don't know about NJ, but you could always illegally own them and the cops will just harass the poor as usual.

Dont know about that there buddy , i was actually looking into buying an exotic pet and its not as legal as you think it is, and you will be surprised at how fast you will be in a lot of trouble and fines for owning something illegal..Esp if your home insurance finds out ... :rolleyes:

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains

Thumbs up. Humans get attacked more by other humans than they do animals. I am "at home" in the wooded wilderness, but I do not venture forth into the concrete wilderness if I can help it.

Oh, want to add: this poor kitty will probably get shot through no fault of his own. That is sad. Hopefully, if it is a cougar, it will get caught and relocated before he/she does any harm.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Clearly you've never seen "when animals attack"!

recent survivor of cougar attack
220px-Ashton_Kutcher_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cougar threads and Nicholas posting bring 2 words to mind. Let's make it a game.

First word is an action that one specific animal in Australia does a lot.

Second word is an animal that lives in the ocean.

Wobbegong

Cougar threads and Nicholas posting bring 2 words to mind. Let's make it a game.

First word is an action that one specific animal in Australia does a lot.

Second word is an animal that lives in the ocean.

I'll play.

kangaroo.jpg

great-white-shark-1.jpg

JerseyPete

Dont know about that there buddy , i was actually looking into buying an exotic pet and its not as legal as you think it is, and you will be surprised at how fast you will be in a lot of trouble and fines for owning something illegal..Esp if your home insurance finds out ... :rolleyes:

Okay, I am curious. What where you going to buy? A sugar glider? A three toed sloth? A trunk monkey?

Triple-B

Cougars are everywhere... so what.

I am stoked to find bigfoot!

Agreed on your 1st sentence and on your 2nd, I saw Bigfoot riding in Durham, NY and surprisingly he was on 26er :D

People there are animals/predators all over, there are active roaming wolves in upstate NY, tons of coyotes in NJ along with bears,bobcats, and who knows what else. If you don't think it's possible for cougars to live in NJ your just fooling yourself. They are very stealthy animals and if they don't want to be seen they won't.

JerseyPete

A New Jersey Mountain Uni-cyclist.

No joke, back in the 90's I saw four of them on Cannonball. I watched them launch themselves over the wall at the ruins going down to the lake and none spilled. As I recall, none had pads and I am not sure about helmets.

aedubber

Okay, I am curious. What where you going to buy? A sugar glider? A three toed sloth? A trunk monkey?

I was looking into a Serval , they run around anywhere from 3-10k depends but the problem is setting up a living enviroment for them and feeding them costs a lot of money . And i dont think NJ was allowing to own one when i was checking it out . Dunno what your point was with your quote on my reply....

Last edited:

JerseyPete

I was looking into a Serval , they run around anywhere from 3-10k depends but the problem is setting up a living enviroment for them and feeding them costs a lot of money . And i dont think NJ was allowing to own one when i was checking it out . Dunno what your point was with your quote on my reply....

Only that an "exotic pet" can mean anything depending on the town and state. Years ago a ferret was considered an exotic in some towns. In another direction, certain breeds of dogs are considered "agressive" and in some towns (like mine) you need to meet qualifications to own one. Things like fixed structure holding pens with half million liability insurance.

Top Bottom