This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Too bad during those 5000+ years it never occurred to them no to eat bats...J/K, could not pass the joke opportunity. Sorry.

It is funny about what we choose to eat. scungilli for example. Apparently sea cucumbers are a thing too.
gotta wonder about the first person to eat a gastropod (stomach-foot), cephalopod (head-foot), or echinoderm (dangerous skin)

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Im expecting the parks to be packed. Not shoulder to shoulder packed but it wouldnt surprise me if i see and pass by more ppl than i would have in normal times.

Btw... masks... other than N95 and better, is not about protecting you... its about protecting others from you. At the end of the day, we know very little about cv19. It may seem "ridiculous" but personally, i wouldnt mind being inconvenienced a bit to protect my neighbors.

I'm expecting non-destination parks to be packed, I expect the best trails to be free of the strangers. Maybe we will go back to only seeing other bikers in wildcat if you do see anyone

one piece crank

I will go with the N95 mask any day as a bandana would be pointless. If everyone wore a bandana, hospitals would be overrun.

You must have missed the company that tested blue shop towels to line the cotton mask.

"The designers found that lining a cotton mask with two blue shop
towels enhanced the mask’s filtration rate up to 93 per cent when
it came to 0.3 micron-sized particles."

Be prepared people...

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
You must have missed the company that tested blue shop towels to line the cotton mask.

"The designers found that lining a cotton mask with two blue shop
towels enhanced the mask’s filtration rate up to 93 per cent when
it came to 0.3 micron-sized particles."

Be prepared people...

I have a case of hepa filters from my old furnace that I didn't get to use when we replaced the system, would that be a good idea to make masks out of?

serviceguy

It is funny about what we choose to eat. scungilli for example.

Fun fact, I never knew about scungilli (giant sea snails ?), had to look them up. Apparently an Italian-American food. I did eat babbaluci (or babbalucieddi) which is Sicilian for snails, frogs and snake when I was in China.

gotta wonder about the first person to eat a gastropod (stomach-foot), cephalopod (head-foot), or echinoderm (dangerous skin)
One ting for sure, he/she was really hungry...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
imo there is no way they will have kids wear masks while riding or racing... as I learned doing all of my nica coach training, liability is everything and if there is any chance a kid might pass out...its not happening.
So the liability is less regarding a covid-19 lawsuit?

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Please don't use them. It is one thing for air to get sucked through to your HVAC system and blown around, but another for you to put it against your mouth and suck filter particles into your lungs.

Edit: I can't tell when you are serious vs trolling.

It was just a question wouldn't laminating it between fabric fix that I'm not going to do it just curious

rick81721

Lothar
Fun fact, I never knew about scungilli (giant sea snails ?), had to look them up. Apparently an Italian-American food. I did eat babbaluci (or babbalucieddi) which is Sicilian for snails, frogs and snake when I was in China.

aka conch in the caribbean - can be served as a seviche, fried, in fritters, etc

mfennell

Please don't use them. It is one thing for air to get sucked through to your HVAC system and blown around, but another for you to put it against your mouth and suck filter particles into your lungs.
FWIW, 3M just says they dont recommend it because they've never tested it. No warning about risks from the media.

3M said:
Can we use the Filtrete™ Air Filter material/media to create handmade masks?
Our filters are designed to be used in HVAC systems, and the filter media has not been tested to be used as a face mask for respiratory protection. Altering any of our 3M Filtrete™ Air Filters is not recommended or supported by 3M or the Filtrete™ Brand. Customer safety is our number one priority.
(Source)

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The main component in filtration that determines the permeability is Meltblown. Meltblown is used in air filters, water filters, fuel filters and masks. The fiber structure determines what micron size can be passed. Here's a few pics of a lab machine we built to test fiber size for particular die designs. There are approximately 1000 0.012" capillaries in that 24" wide die. The hazy white stuff is the fibers being formed. They get accumulated on the drum and form a sheet of intermingled fibers, then wound into roll form.

3M has 2 meltblown lines that make ALL of their filtration material in the US. Same machine for HVAC and masks.

Meltblown die closeup.jpg
Meltblown finished roll closeup.jpg
Meltblown cleaned.jpg

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
The main component in filtration that determines the permeability is Meltblown. Meltblown is used in air filters, water filters, fuel filters and masks. The fiber structure determines what micron size can be passed. Here's a few pics of a lab machine we built to test fiber size for particular die designs. There are approximately 1000 0.012" capillaries in that 24" wide die. The hazy white stuff is the fibers being formed. They get accumulated on the drum and form a sheet of intermingled fibers, then wound into roll form.

3M has 2 meltblown lines that make ALL of their filtration material in the US. Same machine for HVAC and masks.

View attachment 127296
View attachment 127297
View attachment 127295

Can I be on your team for trivia?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Interesting. I always thought that conch was just the shell, not the whole animal...the minister blew the conch at our wedding in Hawaii, we couldn't stop laughing...

you must have read The Lord of the Flies ?

1588275877401.png

Kindofa prequel to Thor's hammer :D

Top Bottom