This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
to start with, I do not know @JimN so this is just a response to one message.
no, this is not "everything you do is a risk" nor "Take the risks you want"
what this is is driving drunk because you are willing to take the risk to yourself.
we all owe it to our neighbors and not neighbors and fellow Americans and fellow humans to help manage this.

I’m gonna ask how many times you’ve been out of your house since 3/13.

ilnadi

6 times:
3 grocery/pharmacy/gas/lowes shopping
2 solo bike rides
1 bike ride with my son only (which we drove to 6MR)

however, my 70+ in-laws decided to come see us all the way from NC (don't even ask, I've already been called insensitive for my opinion) so you may as well count I've been out of the house 7000 times

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
to start with, I do not know @JimN so this is just a response to one message.
no, this is not "everything you do is a risk" nor "Take the risks you want"
what this is is driving drunk because you are willing to take the risk to yourself.
we all owe it to our neighbors and not neighbors and fellow Americans and fellow humans to help manage this.

Over the past 10 days I have only left my house to ride my bike and go to Wegmans. I think we also went to the pet store once. I'm not going to stop riding, and if a small group of my friends want to ride with me, I see no problem with that. This is drunk driving with a small group of friends that are cool with me driving drunk on roads with no other cars.

roc

Fair question, for me, twice to the grocery store. I have walked and biked a few times by myself. If you can’t do that, then I’m fucked. I did go to my office to get some stuff I needed to work from home. I did confirm with the other guys that nobody would be there.

mtn

I was at an auto mechanic shop today standing at the counter and a guy walks in the door. He walks right up to the counter (4ish feet away), then moves closer to me (2ish), so I move back to at least 6ft, then he moves closer yet again. The shop owner says “cmon where is the 6ft distance”. “Really, 6ft.” I agree with him with my look of disgust at the guy. The guy then says “oh i don’t care, i’m 81 years old and I’ve been through everything and I was in the army.” Both the shop owner and I snapped at him and told him that we aren’t 81 and we actually want our kids (his, not mine) to grow up with us. Guy says “oh cmon”. I give the shop my info and key and stand outside in the cold for an hour.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
6 times:
3 grocery/pharmacy/gas/lowes shopping
2 solo bike rides
1 bike ride with my son only (which we drove to 6MR)

however, my 70+ in-laws decided to come see us all the way from NC (don't even ask, I've already been called insensitive for my opinion) so you may as well count I've been out of the house 7000 times

Ok so ignoring the 7000 you’re at the same rough number as Jim. Being he has no kids he lives on Door Dash where you’ve got the standard milk problem of parenthood like I do.

My point is really that you & Jim are probably on par with how much you’re going outside and it’s just that the phrasing of the same thing that creates the appearance otherwise.

Captain Brainstorm

I was at an auto mechanic shop today standing at the counter and a guy walks in the door. He walks right up to the counter (4ish feet away), then moves closer to me (2ish), so I move back to at least 6ft, then he moves closer yet again. The shop owner says “cmon where is the 6ft distance”. “Really, 6ft.” I agree with him with my look of disgust at the guy. The guy then says “oh i don’t care, i’m 81 years old and I’ve been through everything and I was in the army.” Both the shop owner and I snapped at him and told him that we aren’t 81 and we actually want our kids (his, not mine) to grow up with us. Guy says “oh cmon”. I give the shop my info and key and stand outside in the cold for an hour.
Point being, it’s not just the current generation. Apparently we have these “hardasses” thinking they are above everything and that it only affects them if they have it. Plus, i’m sick of people bringing up that they were veterans when it is completely irrelevant. I hate that these few veterans set a bad example for the rest of the military. The other one I’m talking about hoarded truckloads of medical supplies from businesses and was selling them for a large profit and deemed he was a family man. Yeah ok jerkoff.

This thread has become a literal shit-pile of fear mongering, holier-than-thou BS, and passive-aggressive political shots. But before I punch out of this for good, I will say that you need to give these Vets a little more respect. They are hard-asses in a way that you cannot fathom. I know a bunch of these guys that were in the Pacific and Europe during WWII, and the shit they've seen/done/lived through is beyond comprehension. He also survived the 1968 H3N2 pandemic that killed 1M people. The likelihood that some 81yr old infected dude is walking around spreading the virus, instead laid-low with a fever is pretty low. At that age, your immune system isn't going to give you an 11-day incubation period.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Still being skewed by NY. Most other states are seeing about a 10% positive test rate, NY is 30%

Look at it this way - the last two days about 65K people have been tested per day nationally, with 10K new positives. Take out NY (15K tests per day, 5K positives): then nationally, 50K tested per day, 5K new cases. 10% positive test rate, which is what has been tracking since the beginning (except NY).

ok - you are 10 years older than me.
when i was 5, you were 15. i was 33% of your age.
5 years later. i was 10, and you were 20 - i was now 50% of your age.
don't look at percentages of test results as an indication of rate of change in velocity.

ithe numbers were predictable 3 weeks ago, and now the current bs by the politicians to get more $$
is the explanation-de-jour. oh, we have a higher attack rate - no, no, no. maybe the spread is a bit faster,
but that does not explain the positive tests.

in ny/nj, the reason the % are so high. more people are cv-sick, same number of people are just sick, you don't get tested if you aren't sick,
higher percentage of cv-sick people per test.

Last edited:

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
This thread has become a literal shit-pile of fear mongering, holier-than-thou BS, and passive-aggressive political shots. But before I punch out of this for good, I will say that you need to give these Vets a little more respect. They are hard-asses in a way that you cannot fathom. I know a bunch of these guys that were in the Pacific and Europe during WWII, and the shit they've seen/done/lived through is beyond comprehension. He also survived the 1968 H3N2 pandemic that killed 1M people. The likelihood that some 81yr old infected dude is walking around spreading the virus, instead laid-low with a fever is pretty low. At that age, your immune system isn't going to give you an 11-day incubation period.

you will be missed

mtn

I have total respect for Veterans. Let's just make that clear. He was not thinking about the safety of anyone around him. But how in the world does hoarding supplies that lives depend on, just to resell at a higher price to which lots of people cannot afford justify that it is okay? That's serving your country? Good thing the government forced him to sell the items at cost, or donate them.

serviceguy

Over the past 10 days I have only left my house to ride my bike and go to Wegmans. I think we also went to the pet store once. I'm not going to stop riding, and if a small group of my friends want to ride with me, I see no problem with that. This is drunk driving with a small group of friends that are cool with me driving drunk on roads with no other cars.
What about pedestrians standing by?

serviceguy

On a positive note a couple of anesthesiologist in northern Italy managed a way to hook up two patients to the same ventilator, media in Italy call it a major break-through to double the ventilator availability overnight...

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
An 81 year old guy never served in a major war. Not criticizing your post, just reflecting on how time has past. I grew up with “old” people being WWII vets. Now my dad, a Vietnam vet, is 75. My grandpa who was at d day would be 100. That generation is almost gone. Korean War vets are pushing 90. Just reflecting on how crazy that seems when put in perspective.

rick81721

Lothar
ok - you are 10 years older than me.
when i was 5, you were 15. i was 33% of your age.
5 years later. i was 10, and you were 20 - i was now 50% of your age.
don't look at percentages of test results as an indication of rate of change in velocity.

ithe numbers were predictable 3 weeks ago, and now the current bs by the politicians to get more $$
is the explanation-de-jour. oh, we have a higher attack rate - no, no, no. maybe the spread is a bit faster,
but that does not explain the positive tests.

in ny/nj, the reason the % are so high. more people are cv-sick, same number of people are just sick, you don't get tested if you aren't sick,
higher percentage of cv-sick people per test.

very hard to follow where you are going here but I agree with your last paragraph - many more people have CV in the NY/NJ/CT area because of population density.

In any event, look at Italy, they look to finally be on the downslope of new cases

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
many more people have CV in the NY/NJ/CT area because of population density.

ny/nj have a couple weeks head start on the rest of the country
is the primary factor - density secondary.

i'll try to explain my position more better tomorrow maybe.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So my wife just got home from her shift... Few interesting bits.... The peds ER was so slow (3 patients) that she went over to the adult side to help the nurses who were going in and out of the covid patients rooms... She said the adult side was busy, but not unusually busy. She mentioned that at the moment the hospital is less full than it would typically be since people are staying away and there is no elective surgery... She also said they are taking her mask and radiating after she comes out of a room...

Top Bottom