This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Exactly! Half of my job is coordinating and leading teams at the manufacturing sites to scale-up new drug manufacture. There is no government factory somewhere making test kits, it all comes from the private sector. Even under expedited conditions, there’s at least a 4wk lead-time for components, longer for biologics. From what I understand, most of the testing is RT-PCR which is operator dependent. There are only X many labs out there with a finite number of trained technicians qualified to do this. The reagents are probably being manufactured on allocation, meaning they’re shipping out as fast as they can crank them out, no safety stock. Oh, and the companies that make this stuff probably make critical components for other life-threatening conditions (there are things out there far worse than Covid-19) so they can’t dedicate all their resources and line time purely to this. Rapid tests based on IgG and IgM are just starting to hit. Being in the industry, I bet those companies that make all of the test components (rapid and RT-PCR) started tooling up for this back in January when it broke out of Wuhan, anticipating that this would happen.
pure curiosity, no agenda. What Company do you work at? Do you use Curtec drums or containers, any mueller products?

not disputing this - but how is it that South Korea was able to gear up and get large scale testing underway so much more quickly than the US if that's the case?

That's cute. You guys 'discovered' IPA and all of a sudden became beer connoisseurs...
Actually there's a myriad of beer styles I love. I also like a crushable diet domestic as much as I love a whopper w/cheese. Also, who doesnt love a corona with lime and a lil salt on the rim? That shit is delicious. But defending a meh beer with other meh beers opened it up for a joke. So I made one. Because I make jokes for the sake of making jokes. That, and riding bikes, and enjoying the embrace of my children is how I cope with the dismal fucking catastrophe that is life. Now I'm gonna go Google in-home jiu-jitsu training to prep for the end of times.

Actually there's a myriad of beer styles I love. I also like a crushable diet domestic as much as I love a whopper w/cheese. Also, who doesnt love a corona with lime and a lil salt on the rim? That shit is delicious. But defending a meh beer with other meh beers opened it up for a joke. So I made one. Because I make jokes for the sake of making jokes. That, and riding bikes, and enjoying the embrace of my children is how I cope with the dismal fucking catastrophe that is life. Now I'm gonna go Google in-home jiu-jitsu training to prep for the end of times.
Start with Ken...

not disputing this - but how is it that South Korea was able to gear up and get large scale testing underway so much more quickly than the US if that's the case?

Large scale is relative here. South Korea is the size of Minnesota with 51M people, vs. us with 400M. We also test only the people that need to be tested. Despite what the news is telling you, know anyone who's sick and has been denied testing? Pretty sure everyone that presents at an ER or Dr's office with symptoms is tested.

Large scale is relative here. South Korea is the size of Minnesota with 51M people, vs. us with 400M. We also test only the people that need to be tested. Despite what the news is telling you, know anyone who's sick and has been denied testing? Pretty sure everyone that presents at an ER or Dr's office with symptoms is tested.

Yes actually I work with someone who was. Maybe not denied because I’m not sure he aggressively pursued it. Nurse said he basically thinks he has it but since he doesn’t qualify he can’t get tested. His symptoms are not severe. So he went back home and he’s not worrying about it. But he’s also 30 and not in a particularly high risk group.

Another relative who probably has it but I don’t know the exact details. Also mid-30s and in good health. I don’t think he really pushed too hard to get tested but was told by someone along the line not to get tested. Seattle area. Works for one of the huge tech firms that we all know & love or hate. Very early in the game was exposed by a coworker that had just gone to China.

2 anecdotal ones I know. But you did ask.

I was just listening to a planet money podcast about this....Paraphrasing...but S. Korea and the US discovered the virus on the same day. The CDC made a test asap...They applied for an FDA emergency wavier for the test so that it could get made quickly...It was granted and the process only took like a week where it might usually take months...The cdc started sending out these test to labs and a large amount of they were not working. So they had to make a new test, get it again approved, then again send it out. From what I read, this cost a couple of weeks time. Additionally, as @Captain Brainstorm mentioned, the CDC is not a manufacturing facility, it has no capacity to make things on a scale like this. It took additional time for the FDA to approve private manufacturers to make these tests....this apparently was not the case in S. Korea where the private manufacturers were approved much quicker. I mean the FDA exists to slow things down, really its the entire point of it....thats how it protects people. Did korea or china circumvent their version of an FDA? No idea, but it wouldn't surprise me. Not saying I like what happened, but this is what happens when you rush people who probably arent used to being rushed like this...mistakes.

My wife mentioned that they are now very concerned with the supply of N95 masks, she is bleaching hers and reusing it. As is everyone else in the ER.

Yes actually I work with someone who was. Maybe not denied because I’m not sure he aggressively pursued it. Nurse said he basically thinks he has it but since he doesn’t qualify he can’t get tested. His symptoms are not severe. So he went back home and he’s not worrying about it. But he’s also 30 and not in a particularly high risk group.

Another relative who probably has it but I don’t know the exact details. Also mid-30s and in good health. I don’t think he really pushed too hard to get tested but was told by someone along the line not to get tested. Seattle area. Works for one of the huge tech firms that we all know & love or hate. Very early in the game was exposed by a coworker that had just gone to China.

2 anecdotal ones I know. But you did ask.
Not for nothing, but those 2 shouldn’t have been tested. There are 400M people in this country, every fool who goes in with the sniffles, headache, or mild fever shouldn’t be tested. If your symptoms are severe, they’ll test you, if not, stay isolated. Even if it’s “just the flu”, it doesn’t mean get other people sick. Don’t waste healthcare professionals time or resources unnecessarily. I also question the accuracy of the tests used in Korea and China, having dealt with a lot of suppliers and “pharma” companies in the Far East.
I was just listening to a planet money podcast about this....Paraphrasing...but S. Korea and the US discovered the virus on the same day. The CDC made a test asap...They applied for an FDA emergency wavier for the test so that it could get made quickly...It was granted and the process only took like a week where it might usually take months...The cdc started sending out these test to labs and a large amount of they were not working. So they had to make a new test, get it again approved, then again send it out. From what I read, this cost a couple of weeks time. Additionally, as @Captain Brainstorm mentioned, the CDC is not a manufacturing facility, it has no capacity to make things on a scale like this. It took additional time for the FDA to approve private manufacturers to make these tests....this apparently was not the case in S. Korea where the private manufacturers were approved much quicker. I mean the FDA exists to slow things down, really its the entire point of it....thats how it protects people. Did korea or china circumvent their version of an FDA? No idea, but it wouldn't surprise me. Not saying I like what happened, but this is what happens when you rush people who probably arent used to being rushed like this...mistakes.

My wife mentioned that they are now very concerned with the supply of N95 masks, she is bleaching hers and reusing it. As is everyone else in the ER.

The CDC identifies the viral antigens to test for, passes that info along to industry to develop tests and vaccines. One of my virology professors was an expert that worked with the CDC every year to develop that years flu vaccine. Given that they’re just figuring out virus-receptor interactions and the host immune response, not surprised the first round from the CDC didn’t work. No you can’t rush this. The FDA is run by a bunch of bureaucrats, but in this case I think they’re cutting the red tape to get these tests out from reputable manufacturers that have a good record with them.

okay so there is a reasonable complaint to be made that the richest and most powerful nation in the history of the world could not muster near the same response as South Korea, given the exact same time to respond.

First off, relative size actually works against you here since South Korea has been testing WAYYYYY more per day than the US, in headcount, not in percentages. As of 3/17, SK had tested 287K (0.6% of population) vs 42K (0.01% of population) in the US, when first cases came about at the same time. Are you insinuating that the news is lying about people not being tested when they have symptoms? In addition to the countless accounts on social media of people being sick with fevers and shortness of breath being denied tests, there are several anecdotal instances of people on this very forum, posting on this very thread, saying that happened to them or close associates. I have personal acquaintances and colleagues who have now reported the same. A friend's spouse who is a physician was on the phone for several hours trying to get a test for a sick patient, and eventually gave up. If you think that we are testing all those presenting with COVID symptoms you are not following this closely at all.

Last edited:
okay so there is a reasonable complaint to be made that the richest and most powerful nation in the history of the world could not muster near the same response as South Korea, given the exact same time to respond.
Thats not what I got from that article.

In my daily conversations with Dr. Joe

JABB AHUT -805667736244515574.jpg

(his brother, also a doctor, but of the more currently useful type, died in a different PANDEMIC a couple of decades ago) we discussed info sourcing. He recommended coronavirus.jhu.edu

It's now my go to site, but I wanted to hear what others thought as well.

In my daily conversations with Dr. Joe

View attachment 122094

(his brother, also a doctor, but of the more currently useful type, died in a different PANDEMIC a couple of decades ago) we discussed info sourcing. He recommended coronavirus.jhu.edu

It's now my go to site, but I wanted to hear what others thought as well.

Back
Top Bottom