This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

kdebello

Berkeley Heights schools are closed today for disinfecting. 48 year old being treated at Overlook, has kids in the schools.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
So after the head of Port Authority tests positive all full time PA employees are required to work from home one day a week just to make sure everything works. Consultants, not allowed to work from home....

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Back in the day when I was in the lab and this hand sanitizing thing took off, the company I worked for wanted in on the action. In studies, good-old hand washing was just as good, and in some cases better, than sanitizing with alcohol-based sanitizers. This was against bacteria. Virus's are a whole different story though. Alcohol works against some the enveloped ones (Corona, Influenza), but doesn't do shit against un-enveloped virus's like Coxsackie, Rota, Noro and Rhino. Bottom line is wash your hands thoroughly when you get to where you're going, and until then keep them away from your face, and when you eat out try to eat cooked, not raw foods. All of this reduces your chances, but nothing will ever reduce them 100%.

Isn't it two entirely different things though?

When I use the bathroom/kitchen/etc I wash my hands as soap & water is right there. But if I'm touching stuff at Shop-rite I don't really have that easy option, but hand sanitizer is an easy option. I never thought of hand sanitizer as an alternative.

Does anyone have hand sanitizer sitting next to their soap dispenser in their bathroom?

Captain Brainstorm

The company I worked for sold antibacterial hand soaps containing triclosan. I worked in oral care, not body care, but knew they struggled to clinically prove it worked any better than the same surfactant formulations without triclosan. Oral care was a different story - very effective in reducing plaque and gingivitis.

Alcohol based sanitizers work in a pinch when there is nowhere nearby to wash your hands. The only thing out there that kills everything is bleach. I love bleach. A 0.05-0.1% solution makes a great hand sanitizer, as long as you're wearing mostly white. For surfaces at home, 1 part bleach to 4 parts water will kill all the little nasty's dead.

Isn't it two entirely different things though?

When I use the bathroom/kitchen/etc I wash my hands as soap & water is right there. But if I'm touching stuff at Shop-rite I don't really have that easy option, but hand sanitizer is an easy option. I never thought of hand sanitizer as an alternative.

Does anyone have hand sanitizer sitting next to their soap dispenser in their bathroom?

Yes, but most people hand sanitize in lieu of hand washing because that's what they've been conditioned to believe. A lot of bathrooms will also have hand sanitizer for those nasty people who are in too much of a rush to wash their hands, its better than nothing. Doing both is a little over-kill, however given the nastiness of most people in general (just sit and observe one day), a little overkill now and then is a good thing.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think of the irony....My wife gets very sick this weekend (shes an ER nurse, so this happens alot) Yesterday I have to leave work early to go pick up my son from school, bc she was in bed sick....This causes me to mention to my coworker that my wife is sick.....They: She is?....HEY SHE WORKS IN THE ER...SHE COULD HAVE IT!!!.....As I said...well they arent testing people for it..(they were testing nobody as of last thrusday when she was last at work) so I suppose its not impossible. But more likely she has the flu or strep...Shes been in the ER for 15 years and she has gotten the flu EVERY year....She had some kid with the flu throw up in her face the other day...I mean just shit that happens at her work. Within 5 minutes im like a host in my office and people are asking me why I would come to work......Now mind you, my wife...the sick one...She actually HAS to get a doctors note to not show up at work....we really do live in a nation of idiots. 61,000 people died in the US of the Flu in 2017/18....I had to go look this up bc I dont remember it being headline news.

So we went to the docs today to get said note...turns out she has the A strain of the flu...which as she and her doctor reminded me...is WORSE the the fucking coronavirus.

Anyway, she (and all medical professionals) will feel better in a few days, then have to go back to her ER and work on flu, strep, corona, etc patients....meantime they will be closing offices and schools for fear that people like me might come in contact with other sick people.

And I would ABSOLUTELY rather get the coronavirus than having my son not go to school. That to me is the only panic worthy thing about all of this......weeks locked in this house with my son doing school work? FUCK THAT NOISE!!!!! Sign me up for corona.

THATmanMANNY

Correct me if I'm wrong. It's not fear of getting it. It's fear of spreading it and not knowing you have the disease. Why would we encourage people to go about their usual lives sick with a virus that is new to human species. Please be considerate.
You pass it on to your son, your wife, your sons friends, your songs friends families, your wives patients and colleagues, doctor who knows other doctors who comes in contact with Trumps doctor. Trump dead. That's the most positive outlook.

Where should we go for spring break?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Correct me if I'm wrong. It's not fear of getting it. It's fear of spreading it and not knowing you have the disease. Why would we encourage people to go about their usual lives sick with a virus that is new to human species. Please be considerate.
fyi......the coronavirus was first discovered in the 1960s, its been around for a LONG LONG time. What you just said is true of a cold and flu....every year there are new strains....nobody gives a shit when they are giving each other the flu. And i'd rather get the coronavirus in terms of symptoms than the flu.

serviceguy

fyi......the coronavirus was first discovered in the 1960s, its been around for a LONG LONG time. What you just said is true of a cold and flu....every year there are new strains....nobody gives a shit when they are giving each other the flu. And i'd rather get the coronavirus in terms of symptoms than the flu.
To be more precise it's a family of viruses that may have different symptoms and cause different illnesses, this specific one we're talking about appear to be new for 2019.

rick81721

Lothar
To be more precise it's a family of viruses that may have different symptoms and cause different illnesses, this specific one we're talking about appear to be new for 2019.

Yes this is why there is no vaccine for the cold - there are too many different strains. Which reminds me, I rarely if ever get the cold any more. I think I've gradually gotten immune to most of the strains, at least in our area(s).

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

other than it resulting in death at a higher rate than the flu....which is more of an outcome than a symptom, but that is just being picky.

Also, if ARDS develops, they put you in a coma, and feed ya O2 - so you won't experience any symptoms, with a 50% chance of not waking up.

no, don't panic, but don't dismiss it either.

serviceguy

other than it resulting in death at a higher rate than the flu....which is more of an outcome than a symptom, but that is just being picky.

Also, if ARDS develops, they put you in a coma, and feed ya O2 - so you won't experience any symptoms, with a 50% chance of not waking up.

no, don't panic, but don't dismiss it either.

Also, is mostly other people dying so we should be fine.

ekuhn

Like @UtahJoe 's wife - Working in Construction, guys come to work sick. If they don't come in... they don't get paid. Most guys can't afford missing 1-3 days in a week. So you cant 100% avoid it.

Just use the hand sanitizer in the porta pots and practice proper hygiene.

mfennell

Sign me up for corona.
Sign your parents up too? 19 dead at a single facility in Seattle. The death rate for flu last year was less than 1% for 65 and older. In China, the results for Covid-19 seem to be a bit over 10. 80+ is 14.8%.

Listening to an all-hands at work right now. We have been getting internal updates since Jan 28 as the situation unfolds. It is true that so far seasonal flu affects many more people and kills many more. It's not about where Covid-19 IS it's where it's GOING. Cases are doubling about every 4 days in the US. That is not a good trajectory.

We are keeping facilities open but they are strongly encouraging work from home. No meetings with more than 20 people (even at customer request). Travel was already drastically curtailed (requires approval of a corporate officer in our ~10k person company). They expect these limits to remain in place for at least two months.

Our CTO has an MD from Harvard Medical (and a PhD in chemical engineering from MIT because why not, I guess). I'm going to trust his judgement here.

Top Bottom