This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Mahnken

Given how bad we did with getting out covid testing and ppe at the beginning of all this, I really didn't think the vaccine rollout would be much better.

krink

Eddie Munster
We as a country knew this day was coming for months. While the vaccines were just approved, you'd think that some effort would be put into being ready to distribute. It's not like we just found out 4 weeks ago this was going to happen.
What he said.

The distribution has been a celebration of ass-hattery. As observed by someone on the inside. It isnt as we've totally screwed the pooch, some people are getting them, but not enough and not very fast. We could have done much, much better.

mfennell

At least NJ has a statewide plan of sorts. FL kicked responsibility to each of the individual 67 counties! It's like they actively despise providing any kind of leadership or services to their constituents. My dad's county has a phone number you call (that's always busy) to schedule an appt. Other counties have a first-come, first-served approach that has people standing in line for hours, then being sent home. I colleague told me some counties are using the EventBrite ticketing platform. Which led to people throwing up FAKE EventBrite events that charged for registration to non-existent vaccine sites.

Total shitshow.

My cousin, a nurse practitioner in Manhattan, got her first dose last week.

rick81721

Lothar
At least NJ has a statewide plan of sorts. FL kicked responsibility to each of the individual 67 counties! It's like they actively despise providing any kind of leadership or services to their constituents. My dad's county has a phone number you call (that's always busy) to schedule an appt. Other counties have a first-come, first-served approach that has people standing in line for hours, then being sent home. I colleague told me some counties are using the EventBrite ticketing platform. Which led to people throwing up FAKE EventBrite events that charged for registration to non-existent vaccine sites.

Total shitshow.

My cousin, a nurse practitioner in Manhattan, got her first dose last week.

Not true, FL is starting to convert testing sites to vaccination sites. Will get better

rick81721

Lothar
What he said.

The distribution has been a celebration of ass-hattery. As observed by someone on the inside. It isnt as we've totally screwed the pooch, some people are getting them, but not enough and not very fast. We could have done much, much better.

How? Always easy to Monday morning quarterback. It's going to ramp up like testing did.

krink

Eddie Munster
How? Always easy to Monday morning quarterback. It's going to ramp up like testing did.
I was on the field during the game and watched the stupidity real time, tried to intervene, actually. Why would we have to ramp up "like the testing did" if we learned the lessons of testing? And we should have learned the lessons of "testing" if we weren't so irretrievably stupid and short sighted. The lessons of testing were; Validate the platform scientifically, move to rapid production and distribution of tests with accuracy validation, distribute accurate tests widely and coordinate test data collected to guide pandemic response.

Only part of this is germane to vaccine distribution and that which was was not implemented. We watched validation through phase III testing and safety certification. We purchased hundred of millions of doses to bankroll the effort and have had millions of vaccine doses delivered. We knew exactly when these doses would be delivered at the state level in plenty of time to develop a cogent strategy and treatment plan. We have just fucked up distribution once it has hit delivery points and organizing people to receive them. Its partly because there is no federal guidance on systematic and uniform dosing eligibility and directed distribution. It is partly because political shit has gotten is the way of public health common sense at the state level in many areas. Its partly because we are asking hospital and public health workers who have no experience in widespread vaccine delivery or pandemic support before February of this year to formulate an nationally effective plan. However, it is mostly because the American public is so fucking confused about WTF is going on that they don't know what to do and don't know what to think, and that's the fault of the national, state, local and health care partner ass-hats, as previously stated. People are dying this evening in the town you live in because of this failure. Don't forget that as you're being so forgiving. I'm sorry brother, but I've seen too much unnecessary death this year to forgive stupidity this late. Gotta be called out.

Last edited:

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well, you need an organizational structure for it to work, and we don't have that.

Why we didn't have FEMA put in charge, with them developing the plan and going out to states for setting up the vaccination programs before Dec is kind of beyond me. Probably could have used FEMA along with the National Guard.

I mean, it's not really, our government isn't a well greased machine.

rick81721

Lothar
I was on the field during the game and watched the stupidity real time, tried to intervene, actually. Why would we have to ramp up "like the testing did" if we learned the lessons of testing? And we should have learned the lessons of "testing" if we weren't so irretrievably stupid and short sighted. The lessons of testing were; Validate the platform scientifically, move to rapid production and distribution of tests with accuracy validation, distribute accurate tests widely and coordinate test data collected to guide pandemic response.

Only part of this is germane to vaccine distribution and that which was was not implemented. We watched validation through phase III testing and safety certification. We purchased hundred of millions of doses to bankroll the effort and have had millions of vaccine doses delivered. We knew exactly when these doses would be delivered at the state level in plenty of time to develop a cogent strategy and treatment plan. We have just fucked up distribution once it has hit delivery points and organizing people to receive them. Its partly because there is no federal guidance on systematic and uniform dosing eligibility and directed distribution. It is partly because political shit has gotten is the way of public health common sense at the state level in many areas. Its partly because we are asking hospital and public health workers who have no experience in widespread vaccine delivery or pandemic support before February of this year to formulate an nationally effective plan. However, it is mostly because the American public is so fucking confused about WTF is going on that they don't know what to do and don't know what to think, and that's the fault of the national, state, local and health care partner ass-hats, as previously stated. People are dying this evening in the town you live in because of this failure. Don't forget that as you're being so forgiving. I'm sorry brother, but I've seen too much unnecessary death this year to forgive stupidity this late. Gotta be called out.

And yet no other country is doing any better, well except for Israel. Seems to be a global/human issue

mfennell

Not true, FL is starting to convert testing sites to vaccination sites. Will get better
What's not true? 67 counties figuring it out for themselves? The always busy phone number in Duval (and in Palm Beach, until they switched to ...wait for it ... e-mail for the 375k residents 65 and older)? 8hour lines in Lee County? Using EventBrite? Fake EventBrite sites? It's all true. There is no "FL" here, there are 67 individual counties.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
isnt israel locking back down?

and they have vaccinated ~16% of their population, not bad in the timeframe, but not some godlike achievement either

they also have ~3% of the population and ~.3 of the area to distribute the vaccines over, so fewer necessary locations to reach everyone.

Not saying things couldnt be better, but idk that israel should be put up on a pedastal either.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
isnt israel locking back down?

and they have vaccinated ~16% of their population, not bad in the timeframe, but not some godlike achievement either

they also have ~3% of the population and ~.3 of the area to distribute the vaccines over, so fewer necessary locations to reach everyone.

Not saying things couldnt be better, but idk that israel should be put up on a pedastal either.

Israel rn

rick81721

Lothar
What's not true? 67 counties figuring it out for themselves? The always busy phone number in Duval (and in Palm Beach, until they switched to ...wait for it ... e-mail for the 375k residents 65 and older)? 8hour lines in Lee County? Using EventBrite? Fake EventBrite sites? It's all true. There is no "FL" here, there are 67 individual counties.

What's not true is that the state is doing nothing. Florida is too big for the state to do this alone, plus we have the highest number of at risk over 65 of any state except California (4 million).

Reactions: don

rustynuts

NJ should be rolling out the vaccine county by county, not state wide. Start in the hardest hit counties in the state and work toward the least affected. No reason people in Salem, Cumberland, Cape May need the vaccine now. There are 21 counties, this is just my thought.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@rick81721 - is this one of the "not peer reviewed" yet papers?

Results The baseline assumptions for the model were that peak infectiousness occurred at the median of symptom onset and that 30% of individuals with infection never develop symptoms and are 75% as infectious as those who do develop symptoms. Combined, these baseline assumptions imply that persons with infection who never develop symptoms may account for approximately 24% of all transmission. In this base case, 59% of all transmission came from asymptomatic transmission, comprising 35% from presymptomatic individuals and 24% from individuals who never develop symptoms. Under a broad range of values for each of these assumptions, at least 50% of new SARS-CoV-2 infections was estimated to have originated from exposure to individuals with infection but without symptoms.

Top Bottom