This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Anyone know if the latest vaccine also needs to stored at -75? I think that alone is really going to hurt distribution.

It's a math thing...

Not as much as my post will bug @donkeypoup
Haha! If you actually posted anything clever or original, I’d be more easily triggered by @thecock. You do like dolls and cartoons though, and it looks like you found a new and creative way to play with your toys.

Anyone know if the latest vaccine also needs to stored at -75? I think that alone is really going to hurt distribution.
The Moderna vaccine candidate can be stored in a normal freezer, cold-chain shipment under those conditions already exists and is widespread. The industry has been shipping in reefers for over 50yrs, the infrastructure exists all the way up to the end user. On paper, the Moderna vaccine looks better, the protocol looks more robust. Primary and secondary endpoints are efficacy. They had confidence in their candidate and doubled-down. They also made a better effort to identify participants exposed to COVID while in the trial.

mRNA vaccines like this are new, and the only way to develop a vaccine this quickly. Only reason they haven't been extensively pursued in the past is that the mode of action was theoretical, and logistics were a hurdle. Shipping anything in cold-chain is not ideal, especially if you plan to distribute something globally. Not every part of the world can support cold chain. Interestingly, other countries are going the more traditional route (attenuated virus, subunit, etc.) because its probably more feasible to support locally, and the efficacy is scientifically proven.

Ya gotta wonder if people are looking at the numbers ?
1 in 100 confirmed are dying in MI. I guess the argument is that they just deny it, or dismiss it as they were going to die anyway cause they had
something else (ie obesity?) and the drs are blaming covid because of the bonus check they receive (#moreFakeNews)

the dakotas are approaching 10% of the population confirmed. same 1% ish number.

otoh, we do need to support the people that are in deep trouble if the paychecks stop.
They would tend to go out and riot...and then blame someone, rather than figure out how to fix it
(perhaps by wearing masks, and not hanging out at bars?)

vicious circle.

It might be a lot easier to help support the small businesses if the numbers would stabilize. That may have happened if everyone was on the same page about masks and distancing, but this whole thing has become so politicized and divisive that is impossible to know how that would have played out.

My cousin in Vermont, who is freshly in remission from multiple myeloma, is in a bowling league. Last week he found out someone he was bowling against had covid. The guy knew he had covid, didn't tell anyone, and went bowling anyway. It's irresponsible and could kill people, but we've had the president telling everyone is a hoax from the beginning, so.

We've been supporting all the places we'd go to just as much as before. Just as much dining out (pick up, haven't actually dined indoors, only once outdoors) and been shopping more at small shops as much as possible instead of Amazon and such.

I wish everyone would just take it seriously, and take the health of others, of society, into consideration. I know others may not agree, but I truly believe if we had leaders that weren't so divisive, we may have been able to truly flatten the curve and keep it that way until a vaccine came around, with minimal economic impact.

fbd.jpg

With the approval of Veklury, hospital stays are shorter and mortality rates lower according to the clinical data. Could be a driver behind the change in rates from the first wave.

“In the randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled ACTT-1 trial, Veklury significantly improved time to recovery as compared to placebo – by five days in the overall study population (10 vs. 15 days; rate ratio, 1.29; 95% CI, 1.12 to 1.49; p<0.001) and seven days in patients who required oxygen support at baseline (11 vs. 18 days; rate ratio, 1.31; 95% CI, 1.12 to 1.52). As a secondary endpoint, Veklury also reduced disease progression in patients needing oxygen, resulting in a significantly lower incidence of new mechanical ventilation or ECMO (13% vs. 23%; 95% CI, -15 to -4). In the overall patient population, there was a trend toward reduced mortality with Veklury compared with placebo at Day 29 (11.4% vs. 15.2%, HR 0.73; 95% CI, 0.52 to 1.03). Additional mortality data from a post-hoc analysis were published in the New England Journal of Medicineon October 8, 2020.”

see if i have this straight.

remdesivir is a treatment - not a vaccine. it would be administered at a hospital ?
as that is the point of its use - shorten hospital stays. I also saw that it may avoid
admissions if given to high risk groups upon a positive test - which i find kinda crazy
to think the high risk group isn't already on their way to the hospital - but i get it.
Hospitals deal with cold stuff - all good.

moderna is introducing a vaccine - (or immunization if that is the right word?)
it is the one ya take to prevent the virus from getting a foothold.
to me this means minimal-to-no reaction to being exposed/infected?
(does this also mean that you won't spread the virus too?)

this is the type of thing where they are going to have a drive-up, stick your arm out the window,
and they take care of the rest. ASSuming it goes in the arm.....

tenor (26).gif

damn, i can't remember which movie had the 'moon' out the car window. was it American Graffiti or Fast Times or Animal House or Hollywood Knights or ....?

I wish everyone would just take it seriously, and take the health of others, of society, into consideration. I know others may not agree, but I truly believe if we had leaders that weren't so divisive, we may have been able to truly flatten the curve and keep it that way until a vaccine came around, with minimal economic impact.

Pipe dream with zero basis in fact. Look at every country in the world, Germany. Japan, etc. It's exploding everywhere. @Captain Brainstorm said it best - humans are social animals and can only tolerate short periods of isolation.

The only answer is vaccination - lucky for us we had leaders that made this a number one priority.

Pipe dream with zero basis in fact. Look at every country in the world, Germany. Japan, etc. It's exploding everywhere. @Captain Brainstorm said it best - humans are social animals and can only tolerate short periods of isolation.

The only answer is vaccination - lucky for us we had leaders that made this a number one priority.

but so many people are basing their decision on the idea they are being lied to, so i hear....
"this is all bs, it is just like the flu"
"our immune system will take care of it"
"dr are lying to enrich themselves"
"politicians are lying to enrich their pharma contributors"
"Those people were sick anyway"
and
"it must be working, the stock market is going up while people's lives are being destroyed"

There was no leadership (and in some cases the opposite) that encouraged reasonable isolation/distancing, it
placed doubt in using masks, and under-emphasized the risks of large gatherings.

Gee - look how the numbers went down in NJ - response, "they were going to go down anyway because summer."
Look the numbers are going back up - "its getting cold, this was predicted"
meanwhile in TX....

yes - a vaccine. but holy hell. You have been staying away from people for the most part. When you do things where there are others,
it is outside. That is the model that should have been pushed. Not the leader of the free world telling people that churches should be open and full.

Last edited:

Spin it however you want, we've got the more cases and deaths than any other country. I believe ANY administration would be putting vaccination and treatment as a number one priority. But how many lives might have been saved if 45 would have just told everyone to wear a mask (and actually mean it), and to take the simplest of precautions to help protect themselves and the people around them? And not have huge indoor rallies (don't mention protests and Biden celebrations, I don't agree with any large gatherings right now. Although I don't think the protesting and riots would have been nearly as bad or lasted as long if tRump would've acknowledged the actual problem facing black Americans instead of calling them hate groups, but that's another topic altogether). Instead he ignores that is an actual problem. He spews hate, lies constantly, dismisses science....

but so many people are basing their decision on the idea they are being lied to, so i hear....
"this is all bs, it is just like the flu"
"our immune system will take care of it"
"dr are lying to enrich themselves"
"politicians are lying to enrich their pharma contributors"
"Those people were sick anyway"
and
"it must be working, the stock market is going up while people's lives are being destroyed"

There was no leadership (and in some cases the opposite) that encouraged reasonable isolation/distancing, it
placed doubt in using masks, and under-emphasized the risks of large gatherings.

Gee - look how the numbers went down in NJ - response, "they were going to go down anyway because summer."
Look the numbers are going back up - "its getting cold, this was predicted"
meanwhile in TX....

yes - a vaccine. but holy hell. You have been staying away from people for the most part. When you do things where there are others,
it is outside. That is the model that should have been pushed. Not the leader of the free world telling people that churches should be open and full.

None of your diatribe explains the fact that covid is skyrocketing everywhere in the world. But nice try!

Everywhere? At the same rate?
Even if masks, hand washing, social distancing were to only provide very minimal impact in preventing new cases and deaths, where is the harm in promoting it? Why try to actively discourage your supporters from doing it? What does that accomplish other than division and civil unrest?

It might be a lot easier to help support the small businesses if the numbers would stabilize. That may have happened if everyone was on the same page about masks and distancing, but this whole thing has become so politicized and divisive that is impossible to know how that would have played out.

My cousin in Vermont, who is freshly in remission from multiple myeloma, is in a bowling league. Last week he found out someone he was bowling against had covid. The guy knew he had covid, didn't tell anyone, and went bowling anyway. It's irresponsible and could kill people, but we've had the president telling everyone is a hoax from the beginning, so.

We've been supporting all the places we'd go to just as much as before. Just as much dining out (pick up, haven't actually dined indoors, only once outdoors) and been shopping more at small shops as much as possible instead of Amazon and such.

I hate to say this, but why would someone who is high risk be out bowling in the first place? It seems like he wasn't taking it very seriously either. Anyone he was bowling with could easily have been positive and asymptomatic and not known (like me for example).

I've stayed away from this thread because it reads more like a discussion of a fantasy sports league than of a deadly pandemic. But in light of the news about vaccines, which presumes that the end is in sight, I think it makes more sense than ever to lock things down until the vaccines are deployed. It would suck extra hard having a loved one die from this knowing that a cure was right around the corner.

None of your diatribe explains the fact that covid is skyrocketing everywhere in the world. But nice try!

it explains it nicely as to why it is skyrocketing here.

you referenced japan - perhaps look at the raw numbers rather than the shape of that graph.
185M population - 120,000 confirmed, about 2,000 per day now.

south korea - 55M population, around 200 new per day.

their leader is leading - it does help to have an army that can back ya up.

Back
Top Bottom