This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My wife mentioned to me yesterday that due to the covid spike, many people have been coming in with symptoms that they think is possibly covid...not necessarily....but they have to be ruled out. Hospital in general is back to normal, totally full all the time, short staffed and a circus. Pretty much what my wife has told me every day for the past 20 years with that short time last year during covid when the hospital was empty.

Her peds ER is almost always full of kids who want to or tried and failed to commit suicide. Shes never seen anything like this in all her time there.

roc

My wife mentioned to me yesterday that due to the covid spike, many people have been coming in with symptoms that they think is possibly covid...not necessarily....but they have to be ruled out. Hospital in general is back to normal, totally full all the time, short staffed and a circus. Pretty much what my wife has told me every day for the past 20 years with that short time last year during covid when the hospital was empty.

Her peds ER is almost always full of kids who want to or tried and failed to commit suicide. Shes never seen anything like this in all her time there.
As a parent of a 16 and 13 yr old, that last statement is scary as hell. My kids seem alright, but I guess you never know. I wonder how many parents, thought their kids were alright? Hopefully, sports and friends will only put my kids in the ER, with an injury, not mental illness. How would ever sleep again as a parent, if one of your kids attempted suicide? Good luck to them, I hope none of us ever have to find out about that.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
As a parent of a 16 and 13 yr old, that last statement is scary as hell. My kids seem alright, but I guess you never know. I wonder how many parents, thought their kids were alright? Hopefully, sports and friends will only put my kids in the ER, with an injury, not mental illness. How would ever sleep again as a parent, if one of your kids attempted suicide? Good luck to them, I hope none of us ever have to find out about that.
My son is older but mentioned how burned out he feels. Pitt took away every day off this semester in order to make it as short as possible. No parties, no in person classes. It's gotta be depressing.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ya its pretty sad...god the stories she has been telling me...many of which you can read in the newspaper.....terrible. She will often tell me about how her Peds ER unit has 24 beds and 14....15....16 will be psych patients.

jackx

Ya its pretty sad...god the stories she has been telling me...many of which you can read in the newspaper.....terrible. She will often tell me about how her Peds ER unit has 24 beds and 14....15....16 will be psych patients.
Not going to school with their peers has to be a very difficult adjustment for kids.

Not surprised kids are confused when they have to "decide" in public school what pronoun(s) they want used when people refer to them.

don

Not going to school with their peers has to be a very difficult adjustment for kids.

Not surprised kids are confused when they have to "decide" in public school what pronoun(s) they want used when people refer to them.

I'm not sure if the kids are confused about the pronouns use at least now. Pre-pandemic my kids didn't seemed to question the pronoun part of it but the difference in treatment. But it could be argued there was better treatment a decade before for jocks and popular kids. Maybe the treatment and fairness needle will get to the middle for all kids (hopefully).

I think one of the biggest issues is how these kids have been treated if they get Covid and/or are contract traced within their schools. It's like the scarlet A. Then there is the confusion of if what they are doing is right or wrong ("can I have 5 people in my dorm room but I don't want to leave Chloe out of the group"). From a lot of stories I have heard the punishment doesn't fit the crime especially when compared to some of the shit my friends and I did in college.

Then there is the hypocrisy they see from us adults. I had a family member complain about "those damn kids not following rules and having parties" this past summer. Looking back I'm like there wasn't a party you missed in high school and didn't you get busted buying weed from an undercover cop when 15 or what about that time you almost got a DUI? The kids hear about it as the stories have been told at a family gathering here and there over the years. And then you add on the moves from some of our political leaders and their social gathering double standards.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Yes, 100%

The 2 older ones went back to 5 days this week. It is the greatest thing since whatever was the greatest thing before sliced bread. Yes, I said it. It's greater than sliced bread.

Youngest goes back next week.

We are all happier for it. A lot happier for it.

Also, being able to plan trips again makes us all happier, including the kids.

rustynuts

I work in Mental Health. My agency/organization usually has around 250 clients on average. Since COVID we have been about 350. The phone rings about 4-6 times a day and I'm referring these folks out. From my colleagues I hear there are always about 30 kids waiting for an inpatient bed to CCIS (child crisis), just in our county.
During this pandemic a lot of mental health providers are full virtual. Meetings for AA/NA are virtual. Children and Adults having to be home where they may be triggered and receiving support virtually, it just doesn't do it, (not in all instances).
In some cases virtual has been great and a way to connect, etc.
I could write probably for days on this topic, covid correlating to mental health, the way things are handled in the State, etc. It can't be easy for your wife with that increase in vulnerable young people.
-Jordon

JDurk

Crazy. Recently driving around hometown, noticed yellow ribbons on trees everywhere. Asked my mom what's up. A 13yo kid that had attended the school where my mom teaches, shot himself after his family had gone out.

Top Bottom