This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Cassinonorth

I don't think BMI is outdated. Lifespan is higher with people in a normal BMI range. As you stray from a normal BMI, whichever direction, your chances of doing early rise. People just think it's outdated because we are fatter than ever.

Since the beginning of vaccination I've been conflicted on what I thought was the best way to go about it. Start with the most likely to die? Or start with the most likely to spread it? Either way, lives will be saved. So I really have no issue with anyone being able to get it.

You're right, it's not just outdated....It's complete nonsense.

Risk of death at age 65+ is orders of magnitude higher than 20 - 40. Besides, how many NJ teachers are actually in school and exposed to students? Our son at Rutgers hasn't been in a classroom in a year. So yes, idiotic policy

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...s-discovery/hospitalization-death-by-age.html

2/3rds are doing at least partial in person at the start of the year. That number has gone up. Colleges are a way different ballgame than K-12.

Last edited:

xc62701

I’ve been in the classroom since October 1st. I just got my first Pfizer shot yesterday. I feel pretty comfortable with the measures my school has taken to keep us safe. The school is now urging that students get back in the classroom but has not mandated anything. They can still be full virtual or hybrid if they so choose.

Mahnken

You're right, it's not just outdated....It's complete nonsense.

2/3rds are doing at least partial in person at the start of the year. That number has gone up. Colleges are a way different ballgame than K-12.

I'm a long time supporter of NPR, but their medical opinions are very often garage. Maybe I can see lumping overweight in with normal size; but otherwise the research is clear. The more underweight or obese you are (defined by BMI), the greater risk you have of death coming early.

Cassinonorth

I'm a long time supporter of NPR, but their medical opinions are very often garage. Maybe I can see lumping overweight in with normal size; but otherwise the research is clear. The more underweight or obese you are (defined by BMI), the greater risk you have of death coming early.

I fully agree that people that are malnourished or obese will be more unhealthy...that does not mean BMI is some god tier useful metric. Correlation and causation and all that.

BF% is about 100x more useful than a decimal number some dude 100 years ago made up. Too many outliers in that system for it to be any type of accurate.

Reactions: don

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I fully agree that people that are malnourished or obese will be more unhealthy...that does not mean BMI is some god tier useful metric. Correlation and causation and all that.

BF% is about 100x more useful than a decimal number some dude 100 years ago made up. Too many outliers in that system for it to be any type of accurate.
BMI is more applicable than BF% for selecting who to vaccinate off you're trying to vaccinate overweight or obese people.

It's easily calculated unlike body fat %. It's close enough for this purpose.

Especially when people are going to lie about it anyway.

THATmanMANNY

Our immediate family has 4 people in the school system including my wife. She has been hybrid since sept and a break after the Holidays. Teachers need to vaccine. About 1/2 the extended family cases come from children bringing the virus home especially sports! Wife is getting 1st shot today. They go back to full classrooms if the parents at home choose that’s what they want their kids to do. We are keeping our daughter at home. She has been home 100% and adapted well. Let’s just finish the year like this. If your child has learning challenges then yes send them to school but for someone to say “I want them to meet their teachers and friends and this is the last chance”... that is idiotic.

mfennell

But would you want your wife to get vaccinated before your parents??
The ship has sailed but I'm a little conflicted. It's easy for my parents to stay safe. More difficult for teachers. Is there any solid research on vaccinated people spreading the virus?

7 day moving average is over 2 million doses/day. Almost hit 3 on Saturday. 20% of NJ residents have at least one dose but if you factor out kids and anti-vaxxers, that's nearly a third of the people who will get the vaccine. We're going to forget what we were arguing about in a month or two.

rick81721

Lothar
The ship has sailed but I'm a little conflicted. It's easy for my parents to stay safe. More difficult for teachers. Is there any solid research on vaccinated people spreading the virus?

7 day moving average is over 2 million doses/day. Almost hit 3 on Saturday. 20% of NJ residents have at least one dose but if you factor out kids and anti-vaxxers, that's nearly a third of the people who will get the vaccine. We're going to forget what we were arguing about in a month or two.

I still think FL's health risk (age) approach is more appropriate, especially with limited supply. We have over 60% of the 65+ population with at least one dose. But agree, in a few months there will be enough for anyone who wants it.

Cassinonorth

But would you want your wife to get vaccinated before your parents??

Totally fair point. Ideally that was the goal of the Phases. It's starting to get way messier with who's eligible though.

BMI is more applicable than BF% for selecting who to vaccinate off you're trying to vaccinate overweight or obese people.

It's easily calculated unlike body fat %. It's close enough for this purpose.

Especially when people are going to lie about it anyway.

Yeah, I know you're going to get a great BF% read for the overarching population...I was speaking in generalities of how trash BMI is. For these phases, BMI is the easiest metric to gather. But yeah, people are just gonna lie anyway.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just scored vax appointments from Essex County! Joe D is the man :p
Apparently they're releasing open appointments every morning between 8 and 9 am.

Somehow Essex County seems to be easy to get appointments. Few of my coworkers have been doing Essex County as our office is in Essex as it makes us eligible and it's easy to get a shot at the Livingston Mall.

Zaskar

Somehow Essex County seems to be easy to get appointments. Few of my coworkers have been doing Essex County as our office is in Essex as it makes us eligible and it's easy to get a shot at the Livingston Mall.

Yup, started refreshing the website this morning at 8 and around 8:10 they started becoming available. First shot is Saturday.

Top Bottom