This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ha no the issue with your idea is that the 20-29 represents about 20% of the new cases right now (and I think about 10% younger than 20), so that still leaves 70% of an older population getting infected, and dying at a much higher rate. FYI ages 0 to 29 account for about 1% of total deaths. So to your analogy, would malaria keep going if you killed off 20% of mosquitos?

Just the bad 20%.

But just to rewind this - remember you're defending prisoners & homeless being vaccinated before the children & young adults, That's where this thread started. I presume the reason this is because prisoners & homeless are transmission vectors - but that's a guess. I would argue that the 15-30 year old demographic represents a higher percentage of overall transmission than homeless & prisoners.

don

If you’ve had Covid you aren’t able to take the Covid vaccine? Researcher I follow from Emory was just clarifying and clearing this up. I’m a little bit surprised, with my limited knowledge.

I work with kids in the health field, they are struggling. They need to be in school. The bars and other bs that we know are super spreaders, keep em closed till it’s safe. The kids need to return to school for structure and support.

This 110%

Education is such a critically important piece for the youth. And I am blown away that it isn't top on the priority list and make it work no matter what.

My youngest was recently able to go to school 4 days a week and I could see the positive change in him. Unfortunately he is virtual full time starting tomorrow for 2 weeks due to Covid issues at the school.

rick81721

Lothar
Just the bad 20%.

But just to rewind this - remember you're defending prisoners & homeless being vaccinated before the children & young adults, That's where this thread started. I presume the reason this is because prisoners & homeless are transmission vectors - but that's a guess. I would argue that the 15-30 year old demographic represents a higher percentage of overall transmission than homeless & prisoners.

I don't recall defending anything - I'm not crazy about the idea of prioritizing prisoners and homeless over children either. I was just explaining the rationale of protection being the primary goal of vaccination, not stopping the pandemic. Which is why people with multiple comorbidites are listed right after medical/first responders.

Controlling the pandemic naturally follows when enough are immune.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
If you’ve had Covid you aren’t able to take the Covid vaccine? Researcher I follow from Emory was just clarifying and clearing this up. I’m a little bit surprised, with my limited knowledge.
So with all these asymptomatic people walking around will they test everyone before vaccinating?

SmooveP

So with all these asymptomatic people walking around will they test everyone before vaccinating?
Have they ever done this for other vaccines? Pretty much every infectious disease has an incubation period where no symptoms are present. Maybe not 10 or more days, but still. I'm guessing the reason for not giving the vaccine to people who've already had it is that it's unnecessary because they presumably have some immunity. I doubt it would be harmful, just wasteful.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Have they ever done this for other vaccines? Pretty much every infectious disease has an incubation period where no symptoms are present. Maybe not 10 or more days, but still. I'm guessing the reason for not giving the vaccine to people who've already had it is that it's unnecessary because they presumably have some immunity. I doubt it would be harmful, just wasteful.
True. But if they saying 30% of the people infected are asymptomatic that's a lot of waste when you're trying to vaccinate the entire population as quick as possible.

Reactions: don

SmooveP

True. But if they saying 30% of the people infected are asymptomatic that's a lot of waste when you're trying to vaccinate the entire population as quick as possible.
Hard to picture them doing it. Distributing 2-300 million doses (twice) will be challenging enough. My guess is that they will ask people to self-certify that they didn't test positive. Imperfect, but should weed out a good number. Either way, I'm sure they'll check in with everyone on this forum before they decide how to do it. :rolleyes:

thegock

A friend of mine stopped over the WHQ on Friday. His wife is a doctor in a large, central NJ hospital. He said that in September they had no C19 patients. Two weeks ago they had 30 C19 patients and Thursday there were 50 beds filled. That’s what exponential growth looks like.

Meanwhile, on November 1 in #6,012, a poster pasted up two graphs of case counts and deaths in NJ. The deaths looked relatively flat in comparison to the new cases. Two weeks later the 7DMA of new deaths (Worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-jersey) has gone from 9 to 19. New cases 7DMA has increased over those two weeks from 1,678 to 3,486 (208%.) My reading of various sources in the last two weeks is that the current scientific estimate of the lag between new C19 infections and deaths is 3 to 4 weeks.

Of course, leadership matters:

“The only way this stops is if people rise up,”

Above was a tweet yesterday by Dr. Scott Atlas, a tRUMP surrogate, about new public health restrictions in Michigan. Scaramucci said it best today in the Washington Post about the idiot-in-chief:

“His die-hard supporters will tell you he’s playing four-dimensional chess,” Scaramucci said, “but all of us really know he’s eating the chess pieces…”

OK, 23 days later (deaths lag new reported cases 3-4 weeks, remember?) and the 7DMA is 28 in NJ up from 9... #mathissocool

worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-jersey/

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
OK, 23 days later (deaths lag new reported cases 3-4 weeks, remember?) and the 7DMA is 28 in NJ up from 9... #mathissocool

worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-jersey/

yes - agree that it is going up.

scroll down a bit on that link and compare the new cases and deaths graphs.
doesn't look the same (thankfully)

1606264018462.png

1606264045657.png

now we could get there if events like the Carrier Clinic happen en masse.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
This 110%

Education is such a critically important piece for the youth. And I am blown away that it isn't top on the priority list and make it work no matter what.

My youngest was recently able to go to school 4 days a week and I could see the positive change in him. Unfortunately he is virtual full time starting tomorrow for 2 weeks due to Covid issues at the school.

My son asked for friends for Christmas it breaks my heart he is best friends with @BPaze's son but there is just to much spreading and my wife is paralyzed with fear.

I wish the gov would shut down what isn't needed and prop those people up. Kids have suffered the most

roc

My son asked for friends for Christmas it breaks my heart he is best friends with @BPaze's son but there is just to much spreading and my wife is paralyzed with fear.

I wish the gov would shut down what isn't needed and prop those people up. Kids have suffered the most
Obviously, do what you think is best, our kids have their “COVID bubble“ with a few friends. Not really sure, how much of A bubble it is, but it’s hard for me to go on a ride with a few guys and not let my kids do things.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Obviously, do what you think is best, our kids have their “COVID bubble“ with a few friends. Not really sure, how much of A bubble it is, but it’s hard for me to go on a ride with a few guys and not let my kids do things.

I tell my wife the same thing, she is the greatest exposure for is being a nurse. My son(3) is just to physical.

rustynuts

Carrier Clinic was basically a forced purchase for Hackensack Meridian and they can’t even keep their patients safe. Sad.

Top Bottom