This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

In NJ News.

From the article:

Still, officials continue to warn about rising cases among younger residents. They said 33% of the state’s new cases in recent days have come from residents aged 18 to 29.

--

So i'm wondering if they had symptoms, and got tested, or if they were tested after contact?
Or some other artificial way - like mass testing at school/work revealing asymptomatic cases,
where other age groups are not subject to that type of structured testing (which could be extrapolated to their cohorts)

Kahuna, a teammate and friend of mine for the last 48 years from Charlotte county FLA ( @rick81721 country) visited a week ago. We ate and drank at a distance outdoors and had a great time. I asked him if he knew how many C19 deaths his FLA county had. He said "about 10." When I pointed out that it was over 100 (131 yesterday per worldometers), according to Florida's department of health, he said that most of those people had died of cancer or heart disease and were misclassified. As another friend from the same team said to me, Kahuna was not one of the smartest guys on the team.

Meanwhile, posts #3,945 and 3,951 from April 29:

So what's your overall point in this back-and-forth? Are you trying to claim that Florida is getting worse when every metric shows improvement? Enlighten me.

I THINK FLA IS A PETRI DISH OF OLD PEOPLE. THE C19 LOOKS AROUND AND THINKS "PARTY TIME."

At the time the 7DMA in FLA was 41. After receding a bit in the last week, the FLA 7DMA was 103, [2.5x higher] yesterday. But “consider your audience…”

Just by way of commemoration of the 200,000+ Americans who died from C19 so far, we had this bottle last night. 2006 was a feminine Brunello and a very good year, which peaked around 2016, to be fair, but still delicious.

BRUN ELLO IMG_20200918_190052-01.jpg

In NJ News.

From the article:

Still, officials continue to warn about rising cases among younger residents. They said 33% of the state’s new cases in recent days have come from residents aged 18 to 29.

--

So i'm wondering if they had symptoms, and got tested, or if they were tested after contact?
Or some other artificial way - like mass testing at school/work revealing asymptomatic cases,
where other age groups are not subject to that type of structured testing (which could be extrapolated to their cohorts)
Many colleges are doing mandatory testing on a regular cycle. At my daughter's school (Northeastern) they are getting tested every three days, I heard that BU is the same.

In NJ News.

From the article:

--

The rise in 18 to 29 shouldn't be a surprise.
I think it's more than just kids going to class.
My friend's child just went away to college. A friend of his invited him to a party and told him that some of the people at the party have covid.
So college kids are having parties knowing people with covid will be there! I don't know how wide spread this stuff is but I've seen many stories on the news about people renting out houses and having big parties.
I guess if they are away at school they can't bring it home to their parents but I hope the professors mask up.

The rise in 18 to 29 shouldn't be a surprise.
I think it's more than just kids going to class.
My friend's child just went away to college. A friend of his invited him to a party and told him that some of the people at the party have covid.
So college kids are having parties knowing people with covid will be there! I don't know how wide spread this stuff is but I've seen many stories on the news about people renting out houses and having big parties.
I guess if they are away at school they can't bring it home to their parents but I hope the professors mask up.

So, kids with fevers and showing symptoms are going out to parties? And other kids with are knowingly letting sick and shivering kids in? That’s what it means to “have Covid”. How does that work exactly? I know the party must go on, but are sick kids dragging themselves out of bed muttering “ must get to party, must get to party....”.

So, kids with fevers and showing symptoms are going out to parties? And other kids with are knowingly letting sick and shivering kids in? That’s what it means to “have Covid”. How does that work exactly? I know the party must go on, but are sick kids dragging themselves out of bed muttering “ must get to party, must get to party....”.
Many in that age range are positive with minimal/no symptoms.

I think the kids going to parties have it but feel fine.

The NFL is testing all players every day. A $16 billion business can afford that.

Well my son's school of almost 30,000 students is testing about 350/day. Would be nice if they would use some of their 4+ billion dollar endowment towards keeping current students safe rather than saving it for future expansion.

Anxiously awaiting the economists "model" showing how many hundreds of thousands of cases will be linked to the TdF and how many billions it cost. :rolleyes:

and do they do a netting out of the money too? there is a revenue stream.
and if it was net positive, it would be totally worth it.

I think the kids going to parties have it but feel fine.

Despite what the internet says, it’s a myth that an asymptomatic person that never gets sick goes around spreading this. If the virus is replicating by the 10s of millions in your body, enough to spread it, you will get sick. I think they’re confusing spreading during the incubation period with this mythical asymptomatic carrier.

Despite what the internet says, it’s a myth that an asymptomatic person that never gets sick goes around spreading this. If the virus is replicating by the 10s of millions in your body, enough to spread it, you will get sick. I think they’re confusing spreading during the incubation period with this mythical asymptomatic carrier.
Wow, thanks for posting this. If I understand what you are saying, an asymptomatic persons immune system is able to fight the virus to a low enough level that the person doesn't get sick and theoretically this level is low enough that spreading is unlikely? If so, I can't believe that this is not being explained more widely. Maybe because it doesn't fit the native?

Reactions: don
Despite what the internet says, it’s a myth that an asymptomatic person that never gets sick goes around spreading this.
No. The CDC says the current best estimate (based on data as of Aug 8) is that asymptomatic carriers are 75% as infectious as symptomatic. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

If the virus is replicating by the 10s of millions in your body, enough to spread it, you will get sick.

That's not true.
SARS-CoV-2 has been detected in nasopharyngeal swabs and sputum samples from asymptomatic patients [11]. The viral load detected in asymptomatic individuals was similar to that of symptomatic patients suggesting that people without symptoms have a strong ability to transmit the virus to others [21]. In addition, SARS-CoV-2 has been detected in the blood and stool samples of seemingly well patients [22–24], and compared with the virus in respiratory secretions, the virus in feces may take longer to clear [25].
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7291769/

I think they’re confusing spreading during the incubation period with this mythical asymptomatic carrier.
I'm not sure who 'they' are but the estimate for transmission before becoming symptomatic is 50%. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

No. The CDC says the current best estimate (based on data as of Aug 8) is that asymptomatic carriers are 75% as infectious as symptomatic. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

That's not true.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7291769/

I'm not sure who 'they' are but the estimate for transmission before becoming symptomatic is 50%. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html
Read what you linked. Both articles are purely speculative. The CDC article throws in the caveat That “the percentage of cases that are asymtomatic, i.e. never experience symptoms, is uncertain”, and the Chinese article is absolute garbage and pure A + B just must equal C. No one has proven the existence of a “Typhoid Mary” type of scenario just going around and spreading Covid.

Reactions: don
Back
Top Bottom