This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

mtn

Might be unpopular opinion, but I feel we need to open up the country with restrictions. One major one would be having to wear a face mask while in close proximity in public. Work exemptions for elderly, or those with compromised immune systems, so THEY can stay home. And no dine-in at restaurants. I realize what has been done to our economy is already done, but this is rather ridiculous. Pretty much all because people do not practice personal hygiene.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Boat launches in Harriman State Park all closed. There goes my Spring fishing. ? Damn trails are still open but every yahoo within 50 miles is going there so forget that. My only saving grace is that Blauvelt state park is still open to MTBer and hikers. It’s small but less than 5 miles from my house so I’ll take it.

Got this exciting email from Chase today...
Here is the high-level overview of the review and approval process:​
mail
Here's the update on your application:​
Current Status: Stage 1, Application received​
Although we continue to work through our queue in anticipation of additional funds for the program, we want you to know there are more than 100,000 applications ahead of you at Chase, based on when you submitted your inquiry.​

FYI- I applied on the 3rd day when they opened up the process to Independent Contractors and Sole Proprietors.

Read today that a lot of hotel and restaurant chains where allowed to tap into the SBA loans, despite the fact they are not even close to being considered “small” business. F%#$ing lobbyists!

I'm one step ahead of you, under review, with PNC and I applied day one. Loophole in the system was that big companies could get the loans if they had fewer than 500 employees per location. So hotel chains like clarion but in huge quantities of loan requests. I saw Shake Shack is giving back the $10 million they received because they are so nice. (I mean, they got caught,)

As my accountant said to me, since the banks get paid a % it they have no incentive to waste time on the smaller loan requests. Just push through the big ones.

There is petition to get this changed, but I'm not expecting anything.

Roadie

Might be unpopular opinion, but I feel we need to open up the country with restrictions. One major one would be having to wear a face mask while in close proximity in public. Work exemptions for elderly, or those with compromised immune systems, so THEY can stay home. And no dine-in at restaurants. I realize what has been done to our economy is already done, but this is rather ridiculous. Pretty much all because people do not practice personal hygiene.
I understand what you are saying but I think the problem is that telling the high risk people to stay home will not work if the rest of us bring it home to them. I have an elderly relative in an assisted living facility. They are quarantined to their room. Their exposure is from the “healthy” staff that come in to bring meals and help with things. The facility is doing everything they possibly can do to minimize exposure (masks, gloves, extra disinfecting etc) and I think thy are going above and beyond. Yet they have still had residence get sick.

thegock

It's here. We're all going to get it..... And be fine in a week to 10 days. Kinda like.... The flu.

Seriously, someone find an article where a person who had it was interviewed, and described it. You'd think that with the 100,000's of people infected, that would be an easy thing to find. It's not. Strange IMO.

I can dredge up quite a few of these in this thread, if you want. Heard Gov. Murphy on the radio on Saturday say that there have been more deaths from C19 in the last six weeks than the last THREE YEARS of the flu, so, yeah, no.

Mahnken

I can dredge up quite a few of these in this thread, if you want. Heard Gov. Murphy on the radio on Saturday say that there have been more deaths from C19 in the last six weeks than the last THREE YEARS of the flu, so, yeah, no.
I went to nursing school with this guy. You can click on his "covid-19" stories here and see his almost daily updates from his first ICU shift with covid, to getting it himself, to him going back to work. Healthy 27(I think that's his age) year old.

rick81721

Lothar

Murphy's comment is sort of true - flu deaths in NJ ave about 1300/year. NJ has 4000+ covid deaths. But flu is under-reported, only pediatric deaths are mandated to be counted.

And on @jShort 's question on what it is like - it will run the gamut from "I almost died" to "never knew I had it"

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

That post was from like 6 weeks ago. Which in today’s news flooded world is like 6 years. At the time there were very few accounts of people actually surviving. Now, yes there’s plenty.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Updated the second tab of the spreadsheet (the one with absolute numbers)
to color the 3-day and 5-day moving averages when they fall below the long-term moving average.
17 states are there with the 3 day, NJ isn't (but is below for 5 day - looks like a reporting delay)

Do we think NY residents are more vulnerable? Or did it just get to the compromised or unwilling to seek healthcare faster/harder.
My disconnect here is that in NY 1.25% of the population has confirmed positive, and 0.093% * of the population has died from it.
Is this a worst-case? or is this expected when areas start to open? Why would these other places with such high infection prevalence
via mass testing not be seeing the same symptomatic/critical/deaths ratios? at least the symptomatic ratio?
Perhaps the age/co-morbidity is very different?

still not sure why the dropdown selector for the graph isn't working. attempted to giver perms.

Linky

Last edited:
Reactions: don

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
to color the 3-day and 5-day moving averages when they fall below the long-term moving average.
17 states are there with the 3 day, NJ isn't (but is below for 5 day - looks like a reporting delay)

Do we think NY residents are more vulnerable? Or did it just get to the compromised or unwilling to seek healthcare faster/harder.
My disconnect here is that in NY 1.25% of the population has confirmed positive, and 0.93% of the population has died from it.
Is this a worst-case? or is this expected when areas start to open? Why would these other places which such high infection prevalence
via mass testing not be seeing the same symptomatic/critical/deaths ratios? at least the symptomatic ratio?

still not sure why the dropdown selector for the graph isn't working. attempted to giver perms.

Linky

NYC demographics? Lot's of poor and black who seem to be hit the hardest.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No line at BJ's in riverdale but they are out of eggs.

Look for some local farms. You may have to drive but it’s worth it. A bunch of them have online stores where you can make a box of produce or meat and then schedule a pickup time.

And even the ones where you get out and shop in are open space and very spread out (maybe less people/risk)

Patrick

Staff member
NYC demographics? Lot's of poor and black who seem to be hit the hardest.

maybe -
or maybe the research into asymptomatic/'had it-didn't know it' is way off

lots TBD - so we can predict if there will be another wave. personally i can't wait to get antibody tested,
cause i'm fairly sure i was exposed to my friend who is recovered.

rick81721

Lothar

My disconnect here is that in NY 1.25% of the population has confirmed positive, and 0.93% of the population has died from it.
Is this a worst-case? or is this expected when areas start to open? Why would these other places which such high infection prevalence

Linky

Another decimal pt error - 0.093% of NY population dead. Seems pretty clear this is worse case - nowhere else is close - most of the states have death rates 1/10 that of NY on a population basis. Probably a combination of health of the infected population plus the medical system coming close to being overwhelmed.

And speaking of health systems getting overwhelmed - I'm going to wait for a few more days of data but Sweden does not seem to be getting worse. Their last 10 days the ave new cases is around 500.

Patrick

Staff member
Another decimal pt error - 0.093% of NY population dead. Seems pretty clear this is worse case - nowhere else is close - most of the states have death rates 1/10 that of NY on a population basis. Probably a combination of health of the infected population plus the medical system coming close to being overwhelmed.

And speaking of health systems getting overwhelmed - I'm going to wait for a few more days of data but Sweden does not seem to be getting worse. Their last 10 days the ave new cases is around 500.

thanks - i know they are approaching .1% and i keep jumping it!!! damn.

Sweden has no reason to report anyone not serious/non-critical/dead. Why would they?
their plan is people are going to get sick, deal with it.

Reactions: don
Top Bottom