This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I went to shop rite in clinton. 99% masked. it is required, although i think they are easing into it.
I wore mine.

def could keep close to 6' if people didn't shop on one side, directly across from their cart.
but that is bau. esp if you go during noob hours.

Fat Trout

He's a Boomer.
Kind of reminds me of a different thought with Covid.

Non Boomers have been suddenly "Woke" for real by this whole thing (it seems...at least in my circles) while I've found some Boomers or those "approaching" boomer-ville in relative age to be soldiering on. My work is considered essential, we are in a Western NJ location reasonably unaffected (for now). We have a manufacturing shop that can't choose to work home while many office support can. It is fortunate that our business is not shut down and I feel our work is very valid. Our company has been very flexible allowing for and accomodating work from home in all ways possible and going above and beyond. Those few that are showing up to get it done are on the mid to older side. In to work, straight to home. Plenty of space for distancing, no question at all. I'm the only office light on in a 50 ft long hallway with 5 offices, this is fantastic in how quiet it is (lol). However those that show and those that don't have a stark line drawn by age. Myself and some select others come in to support the shop and I come in every day as I feel I am compelled to do so. No shop / no work and it all ends, the shop can't do our side and we can't do theirs. Those that aren't showing have an expectation we will cover them and of course our own work while they "work from home". Call on their cell...no answer, reply eventually. Some things cannot be achieved from home in manufacturing. All those that have been taking cover are very young and supposedly "woke" in terms of recent years.

Just an observation. I'll always be me. However its interesting how the "Woke" operate.

mtn

I went to shop rite in clinton. 99% masked. it is required, although i think they are easing into it.
I wore mine.

def could keep close to 6' if people didn't shop on one side, directly across from their cart.
but that is bau. esp if you go during noob hours.

No sense in not wearing one at this point. It can't hurt.

JerseyPete

Applied
i also specialized in bringing ebcdic data into an ASCII/Unix environment, just in case they want to migrate. Nothing like an unsigned packed numeric field to store phone numbers
Can you graph how much viewership of this site has increased and also plot out increase of logged time by individual users over the past month?
great.gif

Patrick

Staff member
Can you graph how much viewership of this site has increased and also plot out increase of logged time by individual users over the past month?
View attachment 124954

:D

y-axis eliminated, cause it only matters in relative terms anyway.
blue line is posts. There has been a 20% increase in active users per day. Lots of people
read and don't post.

1586515542728.png

Can I learn this in a week lol

yes.

but it will once again be worthless in a couple months.

Patrick

Staff member
Kind of reminds me of a different thought with Covid.

Non Boomers have been suddenly "Woke" for real by this whole thing (it seems...at least in my circles) while I've found some Boomers or those "approaching" boomer-ville in relative age to be soldiering on. My work is considered essential, we are in a Western NJ location reasonably unaffected (for now). We have a manufacturing shop that can't choose to work home while many office support can. It is fortunate that our business is not shut down and I feel our work is very valid. Our company has been very flexible allowing for and accomodating work from home in all ways possible and going above and beyond. Those few that are showing up to get it done are on the mid to older side. In to work, straight to home. Plenty of space for distancing, no question at all. I'm the only office light on in a 50 ft long hallway with 5 offices, this is fantastic in how quiet it is (lol). However those that show and those that don't have a stark line drawn by age. Myself and some select others come in to support the shop and I come in every day as I feel I am compelled to do so. No shop / no work and it all ends, the shop can't do our side and we can't do theirs. Those that aren't showing have an expectation we will cover them and of course our own work while they "work from home". Call on their cell...no answer, reply eventually. Some things cannot be achieved from home in manufacturing. All those that have been taking cover are very young and supposedly "woke" in terms of recent years.

Just an observation. I'll always be me. However its interesting how the "Woke" operate.

I'm sure your efforts are noticed and appreciated.

Small group in my wife's organization works off a job queue, in payments and billing.
They are paid hourly, and there is more than enough work to fill the day.
the queue is prioritized, and if some items fall off, they were low value anyway.
The company is fully committed to keeping them at 8 hours/day at home.
As you would imagine, management has a dashboard by person for what time they start, how many they work, when they finish.
They have made a few phone calls to remind them to keep the productivity up close to previous levels,
and it did seem to divide along the group that touts "leaving work at work"

Last edited:
Reactions: don

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can I learn this in a week lol

yes.

but it will once again be worthless in a couple months.

I don't know, every couple of years I hear about COBOL and how 99% of the people that used to know it are dead/retired, and that there is good money to be made there. I think we'd be surprised at how much shit still runs on it. I saw the headline of the article that I posted, and without even clicking on it first, I knew it was COBOL.

Patrick

Staff member
I don't know, every couple of years I hear about COBOL and how 99% of the people that used to know it are dead/retired, and that there is good money to be made there. I think we'd be surprised at how much shit still runs on it. I saw the headline of the article that I posted, and without even clicking on it first, I knew it was COBOL.

reviewing now...

1586519720464.png

and while i'm in the dark corner of the basement.
1586519758814.png

giphy (3).gif

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Awesome for 2 reasons.

1. I had that same C64 book
2. I made a reference to Revenge of the Nerds to Utah this morning

I already told you my cobol story. I won’t repeat it. But I will point out that my phone leaves cobol in lowercase.

Patrick

Staff member
2. I made a reference to Revenge of the Nerds to Utah this morning

did he get it?
-----------------------------------------------
oh, that's right, c-19

So @Norm's prediction of 4/6 for flattening was damn close!
As a whole, the number of covidiots seems to be kept to a minimum, and the growth seems to have
gone linear for the country as a whole over the last week. (air high-5)

There are still hot spots - different states that look like crap - but the NY/NJ area, while
seeing high absolute numbers, is experiencing a slowing of the growth of those numbers.
NY/NJ was over 54% of the cases in the country on 3/23,
and is now about 45.5% in 17 days (approaching the long side of the incubation period)

I've added a 5 day average column to my spreadsheet - in almost every case the 3 day average growth
is below the 5 day.

And realize this still means we are adding 200,000 cases per week at the current rate,

Keep being safe!

1586520471478.png

Last edited:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
did he get it?
-----------------------------------------------
oh, that's right, c-19

So @Norm's prediction of 4/6 for flattening was damn close!
As a whole, the number of covidiots seems to be kept to a minimum, and the growth seems to have
gone linear for the country as a whole over the last week. (air high-5)

There are still hot spots - different states that look like crap - but the NY/NJ area, while
seeing high absolute numbers, is experiencing a slowing of the growth of those numbers.
NY/NJ was over 54% of the cases in the country on 3/23,
and is now about 45.5% in 17 days (approaching the long side of the incubation period)

I've added a 5 day average column to my spreadsheet - in almost every case the 3 day average growth
is below the 5 day.

Keep being safe!

View attachment 124965

I like to think the board here has done a great deal to flatten the curve.
Can you overlay that board traffic graph on the new cases for NJ?
Plz add to your job queue

serviceguy

I learned cobol out of curiosity because everybody was talking trash about it. I've forgotten all about it because I never actually used it. In my experience though, and having started to program in school using machine language (as in writing code as hex number machine language, not even assembler) I never had issues transitioning from a language to another, especially to a higher level language from a lower level one (i.e. Assembler to C). Are today's programmers only used to highly specific and structured programming languages that they can't grab a manual and get to work? That is the impression I get when dealing with suppliers anyway.

Reactions: don
Top Bottom