This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

EjdEOC2.jpg

Plus ford and tesla are building them as well....im sure this will be billions in ventilators and maintenance and by the time they will be needed again they will be obsolete.

Very happy to hear of increased ventilator production.

I’ve always avoided GM, I hope it doesn’t come down to my life depending on them.

I wore a n95 mask in home depot and the grocery store today. Probably 1/4 of people were doing the same. As someone who is very self-conscious, I just think F-U sh*tbag when someone gives me an odd look.

a bit late
Not for the "national stockpile"..... Seems like these will be built for the next pandemic.... However ford is also making them... I saw this the other day

Fords Rawsonville Components Plant in Ypsilanti, Mich., will start making the GE Healthcare/Airon Model A-E ventilator the week of April 20. The company says it will produce 1,500 ventilators by the end of April, 12,000 by the end of May and 50,000 by July 4. “The Ford and GE Healthcare teams, working creatively and tirelessly, have found a way to produce this vitally needed ventilator quickly and in meaningful numbers,” said Jim Hackett, Ford’s president and CEO.

That's pretty impressive.. To reverse engineer that machine and go to full production in a little more than a month

However ford is also making them... I saw this the other day
This is the Ford Motor Company. We are notifying you to let you know your model 2652984761 Ventilator has a recall. The valve actuator has an electrical malfunction, causing the air flow to shut off without notice. We are working on this problem and have new actuator's at local dealerships. Please call them and arrange an appointment ahead of time, the service time is 2 days once machine is in the shop. Approximately 3 million machines need this service however we have supplied dealerships with 59 loaners so as not to inconvenience anyone. We are all in this together and stand by our product. Thanks for your support.
FMC

Not for the "national stockpile"..... Seems like these will be built for the next pandemic.... However ford is also making them... I saw this the other day

Fords Rawsonville Components Plant in Ypsilanti, Mich., will start making the GE Healthcare/Airon Model A-E ventilator the week of April 20. The company says it will produce 1,500 ventilators by the end of April, 12,000 by the end of May and 50,000 by July 4. “The Ford and GE Healthcare teams, working creatively and tirelessly, have found a way to produce this vitally needed ventilator quickly and in meaningful numbers,” said Jim Hackett, Ford’s president and CEO.

That's pretty impressive.. To reverse engineer that machine and go to full production in a little more than a month

id bet they didnt have to reverse engineer anything, somehow someway GE probably shared the drawing package/mfg data with them, all they had to do was spin up production (still no easy feat, but a HUGE time savings)

taken another way - the flu killed 80,000 people, mostly very young or very old, in 2018 in a season -
of the 60M that got it.
this has killed 12,500 in 6 weeks - doing everything we can to slow it.
You posted this at 1pm yesterday. US will top 15,000 by the time I finish breakfast. Most of those 15,000 have been in the past 4 weeks. Almost 2,000 yesterday.

Hopefully, we will start to see nationally the results of government and business-enforced separation soon. I've been WFH for a solid month now (I think - it's a blur). My Wall Street IT friends who require some on-site personnel have been doing A/B teams for the same period. At last count, my company of 8500 has 7 confirmed cases and 30 or so people self-quarantining (we have a nice dashboard :) ).

I think those results are at least partly from a very somber all-hands meeting we had back on March 10 when there were only 600 cases in the US and 26 deaths, urging us to stay the F home, and maintain separation. About a week later, you need permission to come in and everyone gets a temperature check at the door. The cafeterias at the remaining open facilities (<10% of the employees are going in) have switched to take-out only and food is free. They sent us all iPhones with hotspots and corporate collaboration software to keep us connected (and on a leash, I guess - I just turn it off).

Sidebar: i'm amazed at how well we're doing with the tools available today (Slack & Teams primarily). We got a major SW delivery out on schedule a couple weeks ago. Our normal 2 day planning session for the next 3 months is in-person with people from all over but it has been very effective using Teams.

id bet they didnt have to reverse engineer anything, somehow someway GE probably shared the drawing package/mfg data with them, all they had to do was spin up production (still no easy feat, but a HUGE time savings)
So I was referencing something I read in several articles, but its here as well
https://www.wired.com/story/race-build-more-ventilators-coronavirus/

To enable a 500-fold increase in production, a Ford team spent a weekend disassembling a ventilator that Airon had shipped overnight from Florida. They 3D-scanned more than 250 parts and tore down and rebuilt sub-assemblies. They filmed each step of production to ease worker training. They mapped out how many workstations they’d need to hit the faster pace, along with the required tooling and equipment. Then they reached out to suppliers to get it all in place.

You would think they would have solid models of all of the parts, so im not sure why they are scanning them...Although as someone who spent a long time in product development and reverse engineered many things....Making something that is already being made...but now from scratch at a different vendor...etc...Its never as easy as it sounds. Somewhere along the line each manufacturer is adding some special sauce (process, etc) that the next one doesnt know about.....as in...there was something left out on a drawing somewhere...so the machinist called to get clarification....and this interaction was never written down...so now the next guy is running into the same issues....I have seen it 100 times. Maybe they felt this was the quickest way......I reverse engineered many things by hand with a loop on my eye and a caliper bc it was way faster than 3d scanning it...(I didnt work at ford and have their 3d scanner)

your likely correct, however i have found that the more critical the components are the more thoroughly documented they are, even in my job (mostly new design, but we do some reverse engineering, usually by hand) we make sure that critical safety items are 100% documented and can be reproduced with only a drawing, especially in the case where someone like me does the work because we dont stay on the project full time during production, once the prototype is sussed out and signed off they typically stop paying for design input . . . .

if the ventilator design is old enough there may not have been 3-d models (unlikely) or they were designed using software that was unavailable at ford (more likely) since the different cad softwares rarely speak the same exact language . . . making it easier to scan or copy the part than it is to try and import the existing models (we encounter this regularly with vendor parts and contract deliverables, although they have started to get smart about asking for data we can read natively), and neutral formats typically omit some type of critical data :/

@shrpshtr325 Related but unrelated funny story you may appreciate.

About 10 years ago I was in a suburb of Phoenix on vacation at a my friend's friend's house. He had a home business doing machine shop stuff, mostly CNC. One of his projects was coming up with a jig to make the MD Helicoper's dashboard for one of their older helicopter models (70s?). Turns out to make the bend of the dashboard they had a specific garbage can with the right radius to make the dashboard. At some point the garbage can got lost for a bit causing issues, where they realized they needed to up their design/build.

Randomly we ended up with ANOTHER friend of that friend's later that week, who worked in IT at MD. He got us into the factory, was giving us a tour and then stops at one section where they're building parts:

Him: Hey, it would blow your mind if I told you how these dashboards are made!
Us: How complicated can they be to make? You just use a garbage can with the right radius as a jig...

I wore a n95 mask in home depot and the grocery store today. Probably 1/4 of people were doing the same. As someone who is very self-conscious, I just think F-U sh*tbag when someone gives me an odd look.

Was at Stop N' Shop this morning. Then QuickCheck. Then 7-11. Working in the shop all day. ZERO masks anywhere. Business as usual.

Back
Top Bottom