This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
not sure how helpful the second data set is, at least right now. numbers jumping in every direction.

agree - the bar charts/graphs are available on covidtracking - maybe i'll just link out to them.

rick81721

Lothar
Did anyone post this yet? Pretty good view of social distancing trends.

I was thinking about this on today's ride. The data is interesting but I wonder how much social distancing it really captures. If I looked at my data pre and post "shutdown", I doubt it would show any difference. I carry my phone everywhere, still do the same rides and same drives in my car. I wonder if data is accurate enough to see actual spacing of people, i.e. how often people observe the six feet rule?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
graveyard shift?
too soon?

On a serious note, someone should ask him what happens during the other 8 hours.

there has to be expanded testing, just because of piece-of-mind, or "def quarantine and manage your situ" results - but it doesn't change
a thing for the hospitals. they receive people in distress, not the general population (which is a good reason not to do the testing at the hospital
for the general population)

You can only speed up burning in incinerators so much unless you typically only burn during a day shift which it seems to be what they do now. I'm willing to bet they do those 12 bodies during an ~8 shift, probably closer to 6 hours as they clean out the ashes after each one. I doubt they'd leave the human ashes until the next day. But they can just keep going at their max load all day long. But the actual burning can't go faster because they're limited in a lb/hr rate due to EPA permit restrictions and what's realistic based on how fast the unit burns.

Incinerators typically run all night at a slightly reduced temperature because if you shut them off and let them cool and re-start, it's bad for the thermal lining but weekend shutdowns are typical. Overall with cold storage I don't see this being an issue, plus they can move the cold storage (reefer trucks) out to other crematoriums in NY/NJ for burning.

There's also other incinerators out there in some sort of larger catastrophe that can be used. I have worked on a high volume US gov unit that mostly burned cows with anthrax and such. I'm sure they've been getting phone inquiries...

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can only speed up burning in incinerators so much unless you typically only burn during a day shift which it seems to be what they do now. I'm willing to bet they do those 12 bodies during an ~8 shift, probably closer to 6 hours as they clean out the ashes after each one.

Man, you must be a delight at parties. Do you do kids' birthdays?

w_b

cross post; quoting with w_b selective editing from some epidemicologologist saxumaphone with a bigger edumacation than me:

much is obvious, but there's a lot of fake news out there; sometimes it helps to restate the obvious. Plus when I reread this it made me feel a little bit better. I hope you do too.

1. when we don’t know who is sick, we all have to act like we all are sick to prevent ourselves from infecting others.

2. many infected people will experience no symptoms at all.

3. it takes five to six days from contact with the virus until people experience symptoms. Any one of us might be in the five-to six-day period and not know it. Plus many infected people will experience no symptoms at all.

4. Wash your hands a lot, and don’t touch your face. Maintain physical distance from other people. That doesn’t mean you have to be holed up inside. It’s OK to go outside if you aren’t in a high traffic area.

5. Try to have some fun while you’re out there. It’s important to maintain good mental health throughout this. We’re all going to be called upon to support someone else who is sick or handling the stress differently, and we’re going to be in this for a while.

6. Ride On! (this one is me; I did not quote)

Thanks for the link DT!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
You can only speed up burning in incinerators so much unless you typically only burn during a day shift which it seems to be what they do now. I'm willing to bet they do those 12 bodies during an ~8 shift, probably closer to 6 hours as they clean out the ashes after each one.

Man, you must be a delight at parties. Do you do kids' birthdays?

I haven't thought about it. But if you need to dispose of an an entire kid's birthday party worth of kids, I can work up a price. You got a budget?

this may just be my vote for post of the year.
gold.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Just got back from publix with wifey. Gotta say it is kinda creepy suddenly seeing all these people wearing masks and gloves. Some geezers even had winter scarves around their faces.

But of note - a doctor wearing his scrubs was in front of us in the check out. He wore no PPE

68nova200

Just got back from publix with wifey. Gotta say it is kinda creepy suddenly seeing all these people wearing masks and gloves. Some geezers even had winter scarves around their faces.

But of note - a doctor wearing his scrubs was in front of us in the check out. He wore no PPE
honestly you don't need a mask unless you plan on getting sneezed on directly into your mouth... you don't need gloves unless you lick your fingers routinely... people need to calm down.

SmooveP

honestly you don't need a mask unless you plan on getting sneezed on directly into your mouth... you don't need gloves unless you lick your fingers routinely... people need to calm down.
You can't say this with any confidence. I doubt that the people who were at the same parties, funerals, choir practice and cruises where it spread were sneezing into each others mouths. I'm not a germaphobe at all, but I'm all in for more caution, not less for this one.

SmooveP

I was thinking about this on today's ride. The data is interesting but I wonder how much social distancing it really captures. If I looked at my data pre and post "shutdown", I doubt it would show any difference. I carry my phone everywhere, still do the same rides and same drives in my car. I wonder if data is accurate enough to see actual spacing of people, i.e. how often people observe the six feet rule?
I don't think it's intended to be super accurate, but it gives a general picture of whether people are adjusting their behaviour in response to the guidance.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
You can't say this with any confidence. I doubt that the people who were at the same parties, funerals, choir practice and cruises where it spread were sneezing into each others mouths. I'm not a germaphobe at all, but I'm all in for more caution, not less for this one.
I’d rather look back and laugh at being a fool with all the precautionary measures than regret not taking those steps at all.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
As far as the mask... I think it's more of a precaution so that those with covid19 who are asymptomatic do not spread it.

Top Bottom